25. Brian Concannon

Relays

Two-Person Teams
· AARPe Diem Cyndi Kimball, Christine Linnane
· Your Pace or Mine? Wendy McDanolds, Courtney Paulk

Three-Person Teams
· Sachuset Ocean Swimmers: Paul Talewsky, Kathy Lewis, Zachary Scheetz
· The Aquanauts: Jeffrey Pinnix, James Campbell, Chris Ryan
· Crankin’ for Frank: Kate Radville, Sheryl Bierden, Amy Whitesides (relay named in honor of their fallen lanemate Frank Wuest who passed away during an open water event in Rhode Island last weekend)

Four–Person Team
· SOS 3 Mermaids and A Merman: Jane Cheney, Rita Hansen, Christine Woolbright, Frank Johnson

Tagged:
slknightgregocdpm50

Comments

• gregocgregoc Charter Member

Everyone had a great swim in the 2016 BLS. All finished! I think that is a first. Conditions were perfect. There was a huge flood tide, a light tail wind, a sunny day and warmer than normal water temperatures (63-68 degrees F). Everyone seemed to have fun in and out of the water. Results and report will be posted shortly.

dpm50tortuga

The results are posted. It was a very fast year. Congratulations to all the swimmers.

dc_in_sfbluemermaid9dpm50courtneypaulkkejoyceJSwimsuziedods
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

This is my third year swimming the Boston Light, and like previous years I had a great time. I highly encourage anyone who has not swum this before to sign up for the lottery next year. Highlights for me include:

• Incredibly well run event - @emkhowley and @gregoc are two of the best race directors out there and have the BLS running like a well oiled machine.

• Incredible people - from the volunteers to the pilots to other swimmers and support folk. We had swimming royalty with 7 or 8 triple crown swimmers swimming or crewing, and we had ordinary folk who pushed themselves past their previous limits to complete their first long cold water swim. Hard not to be inspired by everyone there.

• Incredible scenery - a 300 year old light house at the start, the Boston Skyline at the finish and a National Park full of islands to swim through.

gregocAnthonyMcCarleysuziedodsswimrn62dpm50

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

i need better prep for the cold water, but my brother just moved to Boston, so i am probably going to sign up for the lottery next year.

gregocdc_in_sfdpm50
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

timsroot said:
    i need better prep for the cold water, but my brother just moved to Boston, so i am probably going to sign up for the lottery next year.

@timsroot I wouldn't expect you'd be in the water long enough to cool down, you were a full hour ahead of me at the Big Tortuga in 2012 ;-)

dpm50

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• I second David's comments. VERY well run. Great safety briefing. Not only did they tell you the safety protocol, but they explained WHY. Important stuff for some folks. I had a fabulous pilot. I am difficult to pilot and they were ALWAYS in the right place. Conditions were stellar. Volunteers all over the place and super helpful and nice. Great convivial venue.

gregocdc_in_sfssthomasdpm50

We always try to achieve what my mom used to tell me every time I left the house, "Have fun, and be safe".

kejoycessthomasdpm50
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

And wear clean underwear, in case you get hit by a car

Lynnekejoycesuziedodsssthomasdpm50CathyInCAgregockimh
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

@dc_in_sf - my training hasn't been nearly as good the last couple years since that swim. having a kid with a second on the way doesn't lend itself to the most consistent training. Also, all the outside water here is probably 85+, and will be warm for probably another couple months before it starts to cool down.

that said, the pool nearest my new work location is often less than 80 degrees (amazingly), which is pretty nice.

• jbsjbs Member

I agree with the other comments -- this is my second time at BLS and both times it has been a very well run race. Elaine and Greg do an incredible job, and the volunteers are wonderful. I highly recommend it. You get a beautiful swim through a national park. There's a dinner the night before (after the safety meeting), and then everyone hangs around in the beach after the swim. Plenty of chances to meet up with old friends and make new ones.

dpm50
  • jbsjbs Member

Oh, and I should add that the tracking through Track.rs this year was great. My family stayed at home while I went down and swam -- they loved being able to follow all of the swimmers and see the race unfolding. It was a great addition to the race!

evmogregocssthomasslknight
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

hmm maybe next year

gregocJustSwimsuziedodsdpm50dc_in_sf
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I didn't make the lottery this year, but last year, I was in as a relay swimmer. That was a wonderful experience! Agree w what others said. GREAT organization and beautiful setting! I hope to be back asap as a solo swimmer! So glad to hear it went well for everyone! But not surprised!

suziedods