14-year old in Lake Ontario

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited July 2016 in General Discussion

So here's a helluva story...

14-year old (!) Maya Farrell set off last night (8pm Eastern) from the mouth of the Niagara River to swim across Lake Ontario to Toronto.

This is a ~45km swim to "Vicki Keith Point" at the end of a spit hanging off the eastern edge of Toronto, or a ~50km swim to "Marilyn Bell Park" in western Toronto.

I am not sure what determines whether Lake Toronto swimmers head for a landmark named after one Canadian Marathon Swimming Hero vs the other - perhaps a Canadian among us can explain.

In any case, young Maya was heading to Vicki Keith Point.

Just in the last hour or so, it seemed as if she had reached her destination, after 22 hours (!!) in the water. But then... according to @LOSTswimmer Rob Kent, via FB:

I just found out that Maya did NOT actually make it... with only 400 meters to go they had to pull her out. There was a large thunder storm right there with plenty of lightning. So Miguel had to make the unbelievably tough decision and pull her out. A incredibly tough decision to make, and although the armchair quarterbacks might say say otherwise, safety is paramount. Maya is very tired and but understood it had to be done. Very disappointing, but still an amazing 44.6 km swim! Way to go Maya.

Not even sure what to think about a 14-year old swimming for 22 hours to within 400 meters of the finish, only to get pulled out for lightning. Brutal and heartbreaking for all involved, it seems safe to say?

Here's her track, for reference:

http://track.rs/4

IronMikeJenAsuziedodstortuga

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Holy wow. Incredible.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JenAJenA Charter Member
    edited July 2016

@evmo said: I am not sure what determines whether Lake Toronto swimmers head for a landmark named after one Canadian Marathon Swimming Hero vs the other - perhaps a Canadian among us can explain.

I think most swimmers aim for the traditional Marilyn Bell route, ending at what is now Marilyn Bell Park, and use Vicki Keith Point as an acceptable alternative endpoint in case of difficulties (typically currents, water temperature or weather). The upswelling in Lake Ontario can cause the waters around Toronto to drop to 10 degrees C (50 degrees F) which can be swim-ending after 45-50km of significantly warmer waters.

Solo Swims Ontario won't recognize swims ending at Vicki Keith Point (also known as the Leslie Street Spit) for records claims, but it allows the swimmer to say they crossed the lake.

Most swims start from Niagara on the Lake (NOTL) and enjoy the massive push of the water coming over Niagara Falls. Swims ending at Vicki Keith Point/Leslie Street Spit are about 5 km shorter.

A brutal finish for dear Maya. :(

evmo
  • SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

Go Canada!

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Awesome swim! Brutal way to have it finish. Hats off to her for following the pilot's instructions. With only 400m to go I think you would have had to physically drag me from the water... :-/

curlyJaimiesuziedods