MSF Documented Swims - 2016

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited February 2019 in Swim Reports

We're pleased to announce a new MSF Documented Swim: Charlotte Brynn's 17.8-mile cross-border, round-trip swim in Lake Memphremagog, between Newport, Vermont and Skinner Island, Quebec.

It's an extraordinarily well-documented swim, with an entertaining first-person narrative by Charlotte, photos and observer log by @Fil White, GPS data, and a brief video of Charlotte's powerful open-water swimming stroke.

Check it out:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/brynn-skinner/

Tagged:
IronMikethelittlemerwookieViveBeneJustSwimrlmcurlymalinakagregocSarah4140SydneDnabilradNoelFigartDanSimonelliKatieBunswimfreeordie

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Pleased to announce a new MSF Documented Swim: on June 18-19, David Dammerman of Saratoga Springs, NY completed a 32.2-mile lengthwise swim of Lake George, New York. His time of 18hr49 was a new speed record.

David's swim documentation was produced by observer Deborah Roberts, and Bob Singer of the Lake George Marathon Swim. See here:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/dammerman-lake-george

Well swum, David!

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Woohoo congrats David! So fast!

Bridget
  • hmeermanhmeerman Encinitas, CAMember

Well done David! Having been born and raised in the vicinity, this swim is on my bucket list. Hope that I can tap into the group who facilitated your swim to organize a date in the future.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

In February of this year, Jacques Tuset @xtremswimmer, @Ned Denison, and Jills Vanegas swam as triple-tandem soloists from Île St Joseph to the mainland in French Guiana, a distance of 13.3 km. This was the first unassisted swim from the islands (Vanegas had previously swum in the opposite direction). The trio encountered some gnarly Force 4-5 conditions (there is video evidence).

Their documentation is now available here:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/tuset-denison-vanegas-ile-st-joseph

Nicely done, guys!

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I just love reading the commentary, I still dont understand the dots on the graph ( I do understand the dots on the MAP). but really fab achievement.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

@suziedods said: I still dont understand the dots on the graph

Thanks for asking about this, in case others have the same question. Inserting the graph for reference:

The graph shows David's speed (Y-axis) across time (X-axis). Each dot represents a trackpoint - in this case, 10-minute intervals.

David shows a common speed pattern for long marathon swims: Starts off fresh, gradually declines in speed (especially at night), then recovers slightly near the end of the swim (but not to the level of the start).

The shaded line is a "smoothing" function that attempts to separate the general trend from the noisy raw data.

Does that clarify?

tortugabluemermaid9
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

Yes.. thank you.
    Now.. about June 19 ( apparently about midnight?) there are two very disparate dots..one.. just around the 1.2Kph and one just about 3.2kph... how is that possible?Within about 10 min of each other? Am I reading that right?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2016

@suziedods said: about June 19 ( apparently about midnight?) there are two very disparate dots..one.. just around the 1.2Kph and one just about 3.2kph... how is that possible?

GPS devices aren't perfectly accurate, especially consumer-grade ones (in this case, it was a SPOT). When you see one trackpoint that is an outlier on the low side, and the very next trackpoint is an outlier on the high side, it's almost always due to a slightly inaccurate reading on the GPS device.

In other words, it is meaningless "noise." The reality is somewhere near the average of the two dots. That's why I include the "smoothing" line -- watch the line, not the individual dots.

ssthomassuziedods
  • What a fantastic swim and entertaining story. :) Congrats to Charlotte.

gw

• The whole package - Phil's notes, Charlotte's wonderful narrative, photos of gorgeous water and an internationally historical cave as destination -- makes marathon swimming seem like fun!

Congratulations on a fine, speedy day in the water!

swimfreeordie

"Of all the smugglers who plied on the lake, Uriah Skinner was hardest to take!" Congrats Charlotte and Phil and team!

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

What a wonderful narrative! Great swim. And there's that fantastic word again, just as I thought it went out of my head.... Memphremagog... This morning I was trying out a new phrase. "Four and twenty blackbirds, baked in a pie." I was musing on the possibility that it is a drug reference. ;)

ssthomas
  • Sarah4140Sarah4140 DenverMember

Cool! And great narrative!

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Love this! Didn't have time to do a Skinner Island swim this last trip, but did see the cabe from the boat. It's SO close to the shore :) if Skinner had a maple creemee, I'm so he'd have been able to make it to safety.

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Love how the story--and kept wanting to read to find out not only what happened on the swim but also what happened to Uriah Skinner! Life lesson for him if only he'd learned it sooner: when your trade takes you across bodies of water, especially if it's an illegal trade, it's a really good idea to know how to swim! ;) (Wonder if Charlotte found any of his smuggled goods in the cave.) :)

It makes me want to find out the history of places where I swim. I bet my beloved Schuylkill River flows with stories!

ViveBene
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2017

Congratulations to Tiffany McQueen @TMcQueen for her swim around Coronado Island in San Diego. And well-done to her support / documentation team of @DanSimonelli, Cathy Harrington, and John McQueen.

Tiffany, who serves in the Army, did this swim on December 7 in remembrance of Pearl Harbor Day. They did a great job with the documentation - not just a log but lots of photos, a narrative report, a GPS track, a tide chart, and other nice little details. Love it!

Tiffany McQueen - Around Coronado Island - MSF Documented Swim

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/mcqueen-coronado

• DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

It was a beautiful swim.
    Going under the Coronado Bridge all lit up; all the bright downtown city lights in the dark early morning; Majestic sunrise!!
    Circling around the jetty on the ocean side… with the full view of the beaches and the Hotel Del Coronado.
    Tiffany cruised it all like a champ.
    Awesomely awesome!

ssthomasChrisgreeneCathyInCA
  • CathyInCACathyInCA Martinez, CASenior Member

The best part of the swim was Tiffany standing on the beach when her military ID was shown to the Security Patrol. She was in her swimsuit (red, white and blue stars and stripes) and wearing a stars and stripes sweatshirt as she has just gotten out of the water. The Security Patrol guy asks "Whose ID is this?" Tiffany answers "Mine" and he squares off and salutes her...swimsuit and all! Loved every minute kayaking this swim. Tiffany was smiling the entire swim!

DanSimonelliJustSwimJayevmossthomasKatieBunphodgeszoho
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Great report!

curlyDanSimonelli

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2017

Last spring, friend and early supporter of MSF @ScottZornig completed two marathon swims in the San Diego, California area: an 18.5 km circumnavigation of Coronado Island (which was a well-known race in the 1990s), and a 14.5 km swim from Point Loma to Imperial Beach, near the Mexican border.

Both swims were observed by Cherie Edborg and video-documented by Lynn Kubasek (Cherie and Lynn are SBCSA observers and board members), and both swims are now published as MSF Documented Swims:

It's great to see Scott back in the water swimming strong, after eight years of tireless service as President of the SBCSA.

Well done, Scott and team!

Side note: Scott's Coronado swim was featured in this year's MSF photo calendar:

• rlmrlm Senior Member

Wow, Scott's Coronado swim is fantastic to watch. This video is very entertaining and beautiful. REALLY solid-impressive swimming by Scott! Congratulations. RLM

evmo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Sian Clement's 25-mile swim across the Bristol Channel in Wales (Ilfracombe to Swansea) is now an MSF Documented Swim:

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/clement-bristol

Sian is the first woman, and fastest overall, to complete this challenging swim. Congrats!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2017

Delighted to publish the second and third of Charlotte Brynn's three unprecedented, border-crossing routes in Lake Memphremagog, Vermont/Quebec last year, documented and beautifully photographed by Phil White, and crewed by Cynthia Needham.

Well done, Charlotte, Phil, and Cynthia!

These make the 17th and 18th MSF Documented Swims of 2016.

DanSimonelliIronMikessthomasViveBeneswimfreeordie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Congratulations to Michael O'Keefe, Patrick O'Keefe, George Stark, and Dennie Swan-Scott of the Glen Falls Masters, who swam the length of Lake George last September in 13 hours, 7 minutes - the fastest known relay crossing of the lake.

Documentation at http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/glen-falls-masters-lake-george

• Well done, and what a beautiful morning on the lake!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2017

Are some swims more difficult due to distraction from breathtakingly beautiful scenery? @Jaimie would know, after swimming the length of Lake Como.

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/monahan-como/

Thanks for sharing this with the community, Jaimie! And thanks to @j9swim for documenting.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2017

More great stuff from the incredibly prolific @Jaimie - resurrecting the classic "Round the Island" swim in Atlantic City, NJ.

http://marathonswimmers.org/swims/2016/monahan-absecon

Thanks to @rosemarymint for documenting!

@jcmalick also did this as a solo several years ago, but before that it was a long-standing and notoriously challenging stop on the professional circuit.

Historical results rescued via the Wayback Machine here:

http://longswims.com/events/atlantic-city-around-the-island-swim

• What a dream swim, congrats Jaimie. I wonder if there is any current on Como?

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

I swam this race in 1995 as an amateur (second overall) and in 1996 as a pro (right shoulder detonated before Longport jetty). It'sthe hardest race I've ever done. The English Channel was a gimme by comparison. Constant changing of conditions, weather, tide, temperature, and swimming behind a beach patrol dory boat by only a few inches. I had to lift my head each stroke to make sure I was right with the boat. (Due to the oars, you swim behind the boat the entire way.)

You're not a marathon swimmer until you've done this "right of passage" event.

Jaimie
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

How come there are gaps in the results shared by Evan?

Jaimie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2017

swimmer25k said:
    How come there are gaps in the results shared by Evan?

Because there are missing years in the source data (wayback machine snapshots of the former website of the event, acswim.org).

If you have original results from the missing years, I'm happy to add them to the database.

Jaimie
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

Very nice..

Jaimie
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Lovely photos! And so glad you made it safely past the various hazards to complete a most Impressive swim!

Jaimie

Thanks @evmo , funny you ask - I have gotten a bit of a crick in my neck from looking around so much. Totally worth it though :) And thank you @BogdanZ and @dpm50! @WarmWater all lakes have a bit of current but in a wide lake it's not a ton,I did plan the swim to take advantage of any flow. Such a beautiful swim - anyone interested please reach out with questions!

dpm50

Thanks @evmo and @rosemarymint - what great memories. And much respect @swimmer25k - love hearing your stories and recollections. You are tough as nails!