"Immersion" - discounted purchase option

KarenTKarenT Charter Member

Dear all
I'm delighted to announce that my book on the sociology of marathon swimming, Immersion, is now available for pre-order and will be available from 1st July. I apologise for the shameless self-promotion, but several members of this forum participated in / contributed to the research, and I have received numerous queries about price and availability in recent months. Thank you so much for your support for the research and the interest in the book.

Immersion is published by Manchester University Press, and you can purchase it via their website . For those in the UK / EU, MUP currently have a summer sale, giving 50% off the purchase price. To access the discount, click on the tab to pre-order or 'buy now', and enter the code Summer16. The regular purchase price is £70, so the discounted price of £35 is still pretty high, but hopefully it will make it slightly more affordable for those who want to get hold of a copy. (Welcome to the world of academic publishing - the first year of publication is for the sale of high-priced hardbacks aimed at libraries; a more affordable paperback will be out next year). The book is also available via Amazon (but not in Kindle format), as well as from other online booksellers.

Unfortunately, the discount isn't available in the US at the current time because a different publisher (Oxford University Press) is handling the US sales. We are exploring options here, and I will let you know if anything changes. For those who would like to have a read of the book but can't afford a copy, I am thinking of perhaps getting a few 'MSF library copies' for collective circulation that could be read and passed on to the next reader - let me know if there's any interest in this and I'll set it up.

I am so grateful for all the help and support I have received in writing the book, and I am looking forward to finally sending it out into the world.

Very best wishes
Karen

evmoNoelFigartJenAdc_in_sfTMcQueenjendutIronMikeAnthonyMcCarleySpacemanspiffViveBenesuziedodsemkhowleydpm50HelbeArgent

Comments

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

Well I just went and pre-ordered a copy off Amazon, happy to loan it to any SF folk who might want a read once I get through it (and will want to get it autographed if @KarenT and I ever cross paths :) )

KarenTViveBeneevmosuziedods

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• Congratulations, Karen! That is huge. And I hope you have huge sales and excess irrational exuberance to cross the Channel, or a body of water of your choice, some record no. of times.

evmoKarenTsuziedodsemkhowley
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

I'm definitely buying your book when it is in paperback (or Kindle). Looking forward to it!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Got mine late last week!