SCAR SWIM 2016

KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
edited September 2015 in Event Announcements

Four days - Four Lakes - Roughly Forty miles of open water swimming. Attracts an international crowd of swimmers. November 1st applications open. Recruit your kayaker. Swim dates: April 27-30, 2016. Weblink: scarswim.com

JustSwimIronMikeHelbepwoolsonChrisgreene

Comments

• KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member

Applications are open and spots are filling quickly. Swimmers coming from England, Canada, New York, Costa Rica, Massachusetts, South Africa, New Zealand, Virginia, Oregon, Alabama, Washington, Indiana, Texas, California, Hawaii etc ... You can find the link for applications at scarswim.com

david_barraSpacemanspiff
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    edited April 2016

SCAR 2016 ENTRANT STATS

Countries Represented (6): New Zealand, Canada, Ireland, Costa Rica, U.S., and England.

U.S. States Represented (16): CA, AZ, VA, OR, SD, TX, PA, VT, WA, AK, MA, IN, NY, GA, HI, and IA.

Age Breakdown: 22- 64 for all 4 swims. 14 – 68 for individual swims. Avg Age: 46

• Ali Hall San Francisco, CA
    • Asha Allen Benicia, CA
    • Audrey Viers Mission Viejo, CA
    • Brad Lundblad Gilbert, AZ
    • Bradley Cahoon Scottsdale, AZ
    • Carolina Mora Costa Rica
    • Charles Brown Bakersfield, CA
    • Charlotte Brynn New Zealand
    • Courtney Paulk Richmond, VA
    • Cynthia Werhane Portland, OR
    • Dave Van Mouwerik San Luis Obispo, CA
    • Emily Evans Flagstaff, AZ
    • Emma France Guildford, England
    • Ernie Hoftyzer Davis, CA
    • Finbarr Hedderman Cork, Ireland
    • Frick Amy Chester, VA
    • Garth Ingle Thames, New Zealand
    • Genevieve Mackwood Ottawa, ON Canada
    • Haley Gordon Sioux Falls, SD
    • Jamie Proffitt Bend, OR
    • Jamie Tout Austin, TX
    • Joanne Menard Scottsdale, AZ
    • John Humenik Philadelphia, PA
    • Karen Charney Davis, CA
    • Karyn Scherer Waitsfield, VT
    • Kathryn Farrell Walla Walla, WA
    • Katrina Price Thames, New Zealand
    • Kristin Jones Juneau, AK
    • Laura Colette Gloucester, MA
    • Mark Spratt Davenport, IA
    • Maya Uddin Flagstaff, AZ
    • Mia Joslin Phoenix, AZ
    • Michael Herrmann Chandler, AZ
    • Mo Siegel Piermont, NY
    • Palaka Sauer Brazil-San Luis Obispo, CA
    • Pat Eddy Acworth, GA
    • Paula Yankauskas Hyde Park, VT
    • Peter Lofquist Mesa, AZ
    • Samantha Allen Beltan, TX
    • Sarah Tunnicliffe Ely, England
    • Stanley Leventhal Rosemead, CA
    • Stefan Reinke Honolulu, HI
    • Stephanie Hopson Los Angeles, CA
    • Stephen Key Dallas, TX
    • Stephen Rouch Royal Center, IN
    • Steven Minaglia Kaneohe, HI
    • Sue-Ellen Booher Warren, VT
    • Susie Paul Phoenix, AZ
    • Tiffany Mcqueen Helendale, CA
    • Tiffany Scanlon Newtown Square, PA
    • Tom Linthicum Fair Play, CA
    david_barrapavlicovcourtneypaulkDanSimonelliJustSwimHelbegregocSpacemanspiffTheo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited April 2016

Best wishes to all the SCAR swimmers this week. Here are the start lists:

@KNicholas or any other Forumites out there, please report back!

bluemermaid9gregocIronMikeKNicholas
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Against all sound judgment, I'm going to blog about SCAR again this year. Post 1 is hot off the presses:

http://swimfar.blogspot.com/

thelittlemerwookieIronMikebluemermaid9gregocJBirrrdKNicholas

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• bluemermaid9bluemermaid9 Boca Raton, FL, United StatesSenior Member

@Spacemanspiff - I really enjoyed your SCAR account from last year. After I read it, I put SCAR on my bucket list of swims. Glad you're doing it again. Godspeed! Will be looking forward to your next post.

KNicholas
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

SCAR is still one of my favorites! I'm jealous every year of folks going out to it- the water is great (but, I am partial to lakes) and Kent does a great job. If you like swimming a long way and meeting cool people in the process- you should do SCAR. :-)

bluemermaid9ChrisgreeneKNicholas
    edited April 2016

Alright. Day 1 post is up. Sorry its so late, but there was decent 2/5 NL hold 'em game in a poker room up the road a bit and I find that sort of thing irresistible!

Also, the official results official results are up.

jendutbluemermaid9evmonabilradFlowSwimmersIronMikeChrisgreenepattydhKNicholas

• tortugatortuga Senior Member

Spacemanspiff said:
    Alright. Day 1 post is up. Sorry its so late, but there was decent 2/5 NL hold 'em game in a poker room up the road a bit and I find that sort of thing irresistible!

Also, the official results official results are up.

You crack me up @Spacemanspiff

suziedodsSpacemanspiff
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I have SCAR envy.. and @spacemanspiff.. OMG you are funny

Spacemanspifftortuga

For the curious, Apache lived up to its reputation today (gosh, look at the time, I should say "yesterday"). I suspect the DNF set a record. But in fairness, I think the repuation and stories shared around the water cooler over the last couple of days had people hedging their bets long before they hit the water (and irresponsibly hyperbolic bloggers--sorry @KNicholas! ;) ) I've only got the strength for a summary.

DanSimonelliKNicholas

@tortuga & @suziedods (your name has come up several times, you are missed!) thank you both for your kind posts. And, yes, I did "Like" both of them, because I'm shameless like that.

bluemermaid9tortugasuziedods

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

Well done Apache swimmers!
    Sorry I'm not there.......

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

@spacemanspiff
    This is awesome, and I am so very clear that I do not need to do this. Can they turn the lakes up to at least 70? Then I might consider. ;)

flystorms
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member

Thanks for the updates @Spacemanspiff - I've really enjoyed reading them. Well done to all the swimmers, especially on Apache, which sounds like a brute. SCAR has gone right to the top of my list for next year.

• pattydhpattydh Member

No one can top @Spacemanspiff on a re-cap of SCAR. The only thing more entertaining is to hear it first hand over bad hot chocolate while getting territorial over a single heat lamp hanging overhead. @Spacemanspiff and I frequently rehash our trials and tribulations out on the water, but our post Roosevelt banter included something that I want to share with the MSF community. He could have made it entertaining for you to read, I can only be heartfelt:

It doesn't make a difference how long your resume of open water swims is; there's always something new to learn each time you take on the elements.

This past week at SCAR, without ever putting on cap and goggles, I came away with a whole new perspective on what it takes to make it to the end of a race and I have to say ... kayaking can be f***ing hard!
    I have a whole new appreciation for what my paddler is up against. It is a skill set EVERY OPEN WATER SWIMMER should expose themselves to. A successful race is a duality of efforts between the swimmer and the kayaker working together. To take on both ends of that equation gives you a knowledge base that will help immensely, and can be downright eye-opening. Picking up a paddle and tackling SCAR from on top of the water gave me valuable insight into balancing the logistical limitations of the kayaker with the safety, directional, and nutrition needs of the swimmer.

For the betterment of our sport, we should all make a commitment to those champions of open water swimming that we call race directors, and throw our name in the hat more often for a stint paddling. You still get the swag bag and t-shirt. :)

evmoAnthonyMcCarleyChrisgreeneFlowSwimmersSpacemanspiffDanSimonelliIronMikeSydneDswimrn62j9swimsuziedodsKNicholasNeilEugene
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest

I salute those pilots out there "all by themselves with the weight of the world on their shoulders" watching their swimmers and "crying more than a few alligator tears"....I was once a selfish swimmer but now I see the light and it is good!! and they/we are good...it takes a gaggle....

Two Fins Up!!!!

pattydhFlowSwimmersDanSimonellij9swimsuziedodsKNicholas

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

I have come to realize however that I am a crap kayaker, just ask my brother. I can however help in other ways, I just know you don't want me as your kayaker.
    I can organize the heck out of alot of things, I just suck at kayaking. But what @pattydh says is sooo true and I am loving @Spacemanspiff's writing.
    It was a wonderful week to watch the posts from SCAR. Thank you again @KNicholas .

ssthomaspattydhKNicholasChrisgreene
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

suziedods, the daily Suzie & Walter kayaking stories were one of the highlights on SCAR 2015. :)

suziedodsKNicholas