The GPS Track Database Project

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited February 2017 in Admin Communications

Do you have any old GPS track data lying around in your hard drive? Consider contributing to the MSF GPS Track Database Project.

In the near future I will be launching a web-based interface for viewing historical swim tracks. You will be able to visualize data from swims around the world with interactive maps and statistical charts.

I've already coded the software -- now I just need to populate the database. Will you help?

Specifically, I'm looking for raw data exports from GPS devices such as SPOT, Garmin, Suunto, and DeLorme. Typically, these are files ending with .gpx, .tcx, .kml, .kmz, .csv, or .txt, downloaded from a web account such as findmespot.com, Garmin Connect, or Suunto Moves.

GPX or CSV files are preferred - but TCX, KML, and KMZ are also acceptable.

Please share your swim data! On your computer, it's nothing but bits & bytes. The MSF Track Database will bring your data to life, to inspire and inform fellow swimmers! If you submit data, I'll include you in the private beta launch of the web app.

If interested, please send the files as an email attachment to evan at marathonswimmers dot org

Cheers! It's going to be swim nerd heaven.

Example visualizations below, from Chloe McCardel's swim last year from Eleuthera to Nassau.

Tagged:
phodgeszohoTheomalinakaloneswimmerJenAKarenTChrisgreeneDanSimonelli

Comments

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

This is exciting.

evmo

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• JenAJenA Charter Member

I think this is awesome! Way to go, @evmo! :) What a great way to document a swim! Over the years, I bet it will prove an wildly valuable resource for swimmers wishing to learn more about swims they may be contemplating.

evmoDanSimonelli
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2016

Thanks @malinaka and @JenA !

Opening the files people are sending me is like opening Christmas presents as a kid. Never know what I'm going to find! So much fun - thank you to all who have contributed data.

I hope it will be similarly fun for everyone to play with the finished product!

Seanmjstaplesdc_in_sfDanSimonelli
  • Karl_KingeryKarl_Kingery Denver, COSenior Member

This is a great idea! Thanks for setting this up. It will be very interesting to see the "hot spots" such as Catalina, English Channel, San Francisco, etc. as well as all of the "new" places, like Chloe McCardel's swim.

evmo
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

OK, sent you one @evmo. Let me know if you don't get it.

evmo

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Exciting news: The Santa Barbara Channel Swimming Association has contributed the GPS tracks for every (successful) swim over the past 3 years - about 30 tracks.

The SBCSA is probably the earliest and most steadfast institutional supporter of the MSF project -- high five to the SBCSA :-)

dc_in_sfDanSimonelliIronMikeKate_AlexanderJenAmalinakapaulmNoelFigartTheodavid_barrassthomas
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2016

The track database now contains 115 tracks going back 5 years and representing every continent except Africa & Antarctica. Almost all are marathon swims by the standard definition. Pretty cool.

Many thanks to the contributors.

IronMikepavlicov
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2020

MSF Tracks is now live -- 131 open-water swimming GPS tracks, to inspire and inform your swim-dreaming.

https://db.track.rs

Special thanks to @VanMou, @JenA, @Karl_Kingery, and @IronMike for their testing and feedback.

JenAKarenTSeanphodgeszohoTheoIronMikeKate_Alexanderrlmthelittlemerwookie
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2020

151 tracks in MSF Tracks (the Global Marathon Swim GPS Track Database)!

https://db.track.rs

Click the map to zoom in, or click the "List" tab to search by swim or swimmer.

Any other interesting tracks out there, hiding in your Garmin Connect, Suunto Moves, or SPOT accounts?

Instructions for exporting data from Garmin Connect:

• On the page in Garmin Connect displaying your track, click the gear icon in the top-right corner.
    • Click "Export to GPX"
    • Save the file to your computer
    ChrisBrlm
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited December 2020

300 swims now in the MSF GPS Track Database (https://db.track.rs)

To submit data, attach a GPX or TCX file (or multiple files) on an email to evan at marathonswimmers dot org

pavlicovIronMikethelittlemerwookieJustSwim
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

w00t! Two tracks in Central Asia!!! Love it. Thanks @evmo

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

@evmo I cannot seem to find the MSF Map anymore. Did this get taken down?

• BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

@phodgeszoho said:
    @evmo I cannot seem to find the MSF Map anymore. Did this get taken down?

I think you ref to this website. https://db.track.rs/

phodgeszohoevmoStLucia_Channel
  • phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

Awesome thanks @BogdanZ

BogdanZ