Lago d'Orta Marathon Swim - questions, and using a volunteer kayaker

Hi all,
I searched but couldn't find a discussion of this event yet.

http://www.swimchallenge.it/index.php/en/lago-d-orta-marathon-swim

Anyone considering?
Loving the idea, and while not sure it can work this summer, would love to hear more from anyone in the know.

A question if I could make it work:
I have always considered this swim business to be a team sport. I do the swimming, and my trusty kayaker (aka husband) does the rest. Basically, all the other work designed to keep me alive and happy while we are out there. Feedings, reading where I am mentally and physically, and making me laugh when I really need it, and of course, giving me treats when he can see that it's time for a gummy bear or two.

He's also a hell of a navigator and has gotten me through some really tricky stuff. Basically, I haven't been able to imagine doing this crazy sport of ours without him in the boat next to me.

If I could make this swim work, it would be just me kayaking and I would have to rely on the volunteer kayaker route, something I have never done.

What do you all think? For those who've used volunteers, how was it? What kind of instruction did you give them or wish you had given them? What about doing this in another country where a language barrier could be an issue?

Anyone? I'd love to hear your thoughts.
Thank you!

Comments

• SeanSean Member

Firstly, i had no language barrier. I was put in touch with my paddler via email a few days prior to my race. she had a lot of questions as it was her first time (and mine too). the main things we cleared up were:

• meeting point at start of race
    • paddler is navigating, swimmer following
    • planned route to avoid strongest currents
    • position of kayak in relation to swimmer
    • how to feed
    • time of feeds

This looks a nice swim, and whilst i can't do it this summer, i'd consider it next year as preparation for my EC swim

Solo
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

OMG, another race for my bucket list. Grazie, @SydneD

SydneDJenAtortuga

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• LynneLynne Member
    edited March 2016

@SydneD, I've done the Lago Orta one-way, 14km a number of times (one of the swims in the Oceanman series). It's a great swim, I just couldn't imagine turning around and going back... Graeme Schlachter (ZimHippo) is doing it this year, it is the inaugural event, you should get in touch with him. Stefano who is organising the event speaks good English so I'm sure you can contact him and discuss your concerns.

SydneD
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member

Hi Lynne,
    Thank you so much! I've already reached out to Graeme, who I know from Zurich.
    And Stefano was the one who reached out to me to ask if I was interested in doing it, so I've already been in contact with him too.
    Glad to hear from someone who has been in those waters!
    Love the idea of going down and back!!
    Hmmm---this is looking like a distinct possibility!!
    Thanks!

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    edited March 2016

I have done many swims with volunteer paddlers and have had mixed results. Some of the best experiences have been with first timers so being a seasoned volunteer isn't always that important. The key thing is to kindly let them know your expectations regarding feeds and exactly where you would like them to be positioned during the swim. I have found that keeping them where you need to sight can be the biggest challenge. I consider myself low maintenance regarding feeds and any other needs. I know others who are very particular about changing feeds and feed schedules throughout a swim. The more complicated your routine, the more potential for problems. Not all paddlers wear a watch so I would bring an extra just in case to time feedings. I have even brought them as a thank you gift for the paddler. I have also had several swims that for different reasons my paddler disappeared for a period of about 20 minutes to a few hours. Unexpected things happen during long swims and I always carry some gel packs in my suit for those types of situations. You will be happy you did if something comes up and you need fuel.

This swim looks pretty simple to navigate so I doubt that would be an issue. I don't think the language will be an issue. My Italian is lousy but I never seem to have any issue communicating with people when I am there. Other than my aunt and uncle who are in their 90's, most of my relatives speak English to some extent. I don't hear well and with earplugs in, I have difficulty with any verbal communication during a swim. I find that you can usually signal with hands to get your point across. I wouldn't worry about it. I keep envisioning you getting someone like the Blue Grotto fellows in Capri.

I have never been to that part of Italy and it looks like it could be a nice opportunity in the future. Thanks for sharing and good luck if you are able to make it happen this year.

SydneD

"I keep envisioning you getting someone like the Blue Grotto fellows in Capri."

Um. YES PLEASE!!!!! Can I hire that guy to be my kayaker??? :)

I'm not a particularly difficult feed schedule person. Every 1/2 hour, and my husband gives me a GU or something special when he sees I'm starting to flag a bit. Other than that, throw me my bottle.

Gifting a watch is a great suggestion. Love that idea!

Okay, taking next steps....maybe......

Franco
  • pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member

@SydneD I got an idea! How about I ask my cousin Petr to kayak for you. It is not that far of a drive for him and you would definitely not have a language barrier? Do you want to ask him yourself? He will be honored! (he is not on this forum).

SeanSydneD

Do you really think he'd want to kayak for that long??? It could be like 9 hours. That's a lot to ask.
    You know I adore him and would LOVE that!!!!

pavlicov
  • pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member

He definitely would. Ask!

@Lynne - I am all signed up!
    This is happening! Yahoo!!

pavlicov
  • LynneLynne Member
    edited April 2016

> SydneD said:

@Lynne - I am all signed up!
    This is happening! Yahoo!!

Enjoy! Is now the time I should tell you about the unidentified SLM (Stinging Lake Monster)?

gregocpavlicovSydneD

Enjoy! Is now the time I should tell you about the unidentified SLM (Stinging Lake Monster)?

Oh do tell.... ;)

• LynneLynne Member
    edited April 2016

Ok then... here is photographic evidence
    I had three like this. One on my forehead, neck and shoulder. Occured at three different time points during the swim so it's not like I swam through a swarm of something. And how do you get stung on the forehead while swimming crawl. I asked the locals what it could have been and they had no idea, had never seen something like this before.

Hence... unidentified SLM
    IMG-20150622-WA0001

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Hi @Lynne --

It looks like you tried to link to a Dropbox photo that isn't publicly accessible.

The easiest solution is upload the photo directly to the Forum:

• click the blue icon at far left of the Editing toolbar
    • select the photo from your computer
    • it will automatically insert the photo in your post.

cheers,
    evan

Lynne

I wonder if you had lamprey issues.

http://hubpages.com/education/Killer-Lamprey-Do-Lampreys-Attack-Humans

So, um, I am dropping out of the swim right now. :)

I think John Humenik had this happen at Kingdom Swim. He got grabbed a few times. Apparently, you twist and pull to get them off.

Shivers!!!

Oh dear....What have I gotten myself into ? ;)

• KarenTKarenT Charter Member

If I were attacked by one of these, it's doubtful that I would have the presence of mind to "twist and pull" it off. But thanks for that thought just as I'm heading out for a 10km sea swim.

SydneDtimsroot
  • LynneLynne Member

Yeah, each sting had a couple of teeth in them which I had to extract with a pair of industrial pliers

SydneD

Wow! That sounds like lamprey.
    How long was it painful for?
    I've had a man-o-war sting during a race, and then did Alligator Light with full body jelly stings so I'm not too freaked out by things.
    But teeth??? Gulp!!!

I just don't want to have to stop because of anything like that. Guess I'll be adding extra ibuprofen to my race bag!

@SydneD is famous!

(from my FB):

Screenshot 2016-04-16 at 12.10.14

NoelFigartpavlicovSydneDChrisgreene

@IronMike -
    In my own mind at least! ;)

IronMike

@SydneD, just got a notice that the swim is 10 days away on my FB. So looking forward to hearing about this when you're done. This is a possibility for me next year as it is a short flight from Moscow. I'd also like to hear why @Lynne wouldn't want to turn around. Currents? Lampreys?

pavlicovSydneDLynne

@IronMike
    I will absolutely be happy to share ANY information I have after it all. I am so excited to get to Italy next week! Can't believe I'm leaving a week from today.

And, um, I can't hear you. Because my hands are over my ears every time you say Lampreys... ;)

Sarah4140IronMike

How'd it go @SydneD?

SydneD

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

No lampreys, I am verrry happy to report - @SydneD and I had a great time. Very beautiful, enjoyable, and well organized swim!

IronMikeSydneDsuziedodsrosemarymint

@IronMike
    It was a great day!! I am working on a race report but just got back last night so I'm, um, a teensy bit sleepy.... :)

And so great to spend time with @jmm234 and other marathon crazies! My mom said she just loved meeting the community and feeling so included and welcome. That was one of the nicest things for me.

Okay, off the screens so I can stay awake...

suziedodsIronMikerosemarymint

Lovely read, @SydneD! ;)

Seriously, though, reading your post after reading the Hippo's was very instructive. Did the organizers provide that kayak for Petr, or did he bring it?

SydneD

In all honesty, the kayak situation was a bit of a mess. There were no clearly identified boats and we basically had to pull our own boats from a rack. Originally, our boat belonged to Hippo but they knew it wouldn't work for Audra's back.

Poor Jaimie got a double so her partner had to manage that.

The kayak situation definitely needs to be sorted.

Hopefully I can make this next year and the kayak situation will be figured. Thanks again for the review. Very helpful!

SydneDsuziedods

My pleasure! :)

IronMike
  • JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

@SydneD - he chose the tandem kayak actually, it was his first choice :)

suziedodsSydneDIronMike

@jmm234 - Wow! Good for him! Of course, it makes sense that you would have a badass as a partner. Because you need someone who can keep up with your awesomeness!! :)

Jaimie
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member

Fellow colleagues :) I am new on this forum, new to open water swimming (one 10k.. ) and not new to the swimming as a sport :). I am very interested in the 27k swim at Lago D'Orta 2018 and for the time being I have two questions for which I kindly ask your support:

1.. how much did the registration cost in previous years? + lending the canoe and the person to run the canoe? Where there any other direct costs to attend the event? (of course other than transportation, accommodation :) )

1. from your experience, does this event in 2018 suffice for registration in the UK Channel Swim, to swim in 2019?

Many thanks and good luck with your training.
    Bogdan

ps: It is very early to think of 2018 but I would like to set it as objective and prepare.

Solo
    edited September 2017

Thank you very much Niek for the documented response.

I reckon 1st option is out, as you said, these temperatures are not there in summer time.

For case 2, organised event is subject to approval by the Committee, if they consider the event to be a "suitable alternative".

The event would take place after 1st June 2018, I understand it is intended for 21st July 2018, therefore it's after 1st June 2018, but if the race is considered suitable, then i could apply with it for 2020 (many years to pass :) )

Alternatively for 2019 channel swim I should either find a suitable race before 1st June 2018 or go for the self assessment swim with certified coach, if I'm not mistaken.

Again, many thanks for the response.

@BogdanZ

Having done the event last year, I would say you are looking at temps MUCH too warm for a qualifying swim. It's a great even though! I loved it and was sad to miss it this year.

Jaimie

Niek said:
    BogdanZ is there nowhere in Romania that you can swim for 6 hours in cold water?

What about the organizers of "Cupa Hamsia, la Micul Golf din 2 Mai, Romania" http://cupahamsia.ro

All you need is an observer and a boat. They might help you with that.

https://seatemperature.info/april/romania-water-temperature.html

Niek, you are right, there are many places such as lakes surrounding Bucharest and the seaside.
    It is very possible I am not up to date with the registration procedure. Last year I was reading some rules and there was a list of certified coaches to verify the swim. Those coaches where from UK, FR.. etc but I don't recall anyone in the eastern Europe. Might have missed much of the relevant information and I should responsibly :) gather information (at that time long swims seemed impossible)
    I checked now CSA website and seems there's a representative in Romania, Paul Georgescu who did the swim, and he's close to the organizers of Hamsia, which I attended this year (very happy to see this swim is known by you). I will reach out to him.

About Lago D'Orta, i was hoping to check multiple objectives (the CS and the swim itself in the lake, which I find great). Swimming the lake is sufficient joy to attend the swim :)

SydneyD do you recall how much did the registration cost? I will not ask about the kayak/ kayaker lending cost :) as you had Petr (great support and enjoyed your report :) )

SydneD

@BogdanZ I have looked back through my paperwork and I can't find anything that tells me the price. I even looked at my paypal account! So sorry.

I do recall, however, that it was around $250? Maybe less? I remember it being strikingly affordable. Not sure if that has changed. And I'm glad you liked the report! I am overdue in doing reports for some other swims as I am still working on my narrative and paperwork for a solo swim two weeks ago.

JaimieBogdanZ

Dear All, I have also attended the Lago D'Orta event. SydneD thank you for the answers to my questions.
    If I can assist in any way, anyone, on future questions on this ow event, which I loved, I will gladly respond.

SydneDFitaylor

So glad you liked it! I hope to go back one of these days!

BogdanZ
  • FitaylorFitaylor Devon UKNew Member

Hi, new to the forum, I have a place in the Lago d’Orta Marathon this year - in 12 days time. I recently read a blog on the event which talked about avoiding strong currents in the lake. Can anyone offer advice as my kayaker and I will be heading off for the first time together on the day so anything I can tell her in advance would really help. Thank you ! Also extremely nervous about the whole thing, talk about a mental challenge!

SydneD

@Fitaylor
    I did it three years ago and it was fantastic, although we had crazy weather throughout.
    I thought it might be helpful to share my blog post from the event.

https://swimcrest.com/2016/07/29/lago-dorta-marathon-swim-the-ridiculously-long-race-report/

And I'm happy to answer any questions! You're going to have a great time!

IronMikeFitaylor

@Fitaylor said:
    Can anyone offer advice as my kayaker and I will be heading off for the first time together on the day so anything I can tell her in advance would really help

Hi, the lake does not have that many currents, normally, but there are parts where transport boats cross the lake to/from the left side of the lake, cross the island and the town on opposite side.

See map
    https://www.losevents.com/index.php/it/lago-d-orta-marathon-swim/percorso.html
    If you look at the map, starting point south (lido di gozano) and upper point at 13.5k Omegna in the North, the boats cross from left to right or vice versa (east to west and back). The point where the water moves in all directions is between km 19 to 23. Same would happen between km 5.8 and km 8.6 but because you leave early there are not that many boats. On the other hand between km 8.6 and km 19.. the water is extremely calm.

I didn't hear about a big effort for the kayaker, because the waves were not that big, for as a swimmer after 19 kms swim.. you need to dig deep in your head, as the water moves you all over the place.

Otherwise, enjoy the event. The organisation Stefano has put there is great and they provide real support, with organisation and medical crew passing extremely often to check on each swimmer. And the views are memorable.

Fitaylor
  • FitaylorFitaylor Devon UKNew Member

Thank you Sydne and Bogdan that’s great thank you for your comments. I read your Blog Sydne before I signed up and it sounded an amazing experience.
    Fingers crossed for calm weather ! So exciting. X

SydneDBogdanZ
  • AkweAkwe Oxfordshire, UKMember

It was very calm this year and the scenery is idyllic. On the day there was a bit of cloud cover, which I was glad of because it was a bit warm for me (temperature wise not ideal channel training).

SydneDBogdanZ
  • PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember
    edited February 2020

Hello, one question about the lago D'Orta swim (the one of 14Km, not the full 27Km marathon), which I am considering to register.
    It will be my first official marathon swim (I swim a 10K but with wetsuit) and like the idea to make it into the MSF db to feed a bit my ego :smile: ... however, reading the rules now I see that all the participants are required to use a safety buoy (with a whistle included :smile: ). Does it means this swim will not be included in the MSF DB? Was it still the case back in 2016?

Solo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

@Pasquale said:
    I see that all the participants are required to use a safety buoy (with a whistle included :smile: ). Does it means this swim will not be included in the MSF DB?

Organized multi-participant events that require tow floats (but are otherwise unassisted - no wetsuits) are eligible for the database. Solo swims with a tow float are not.

SoloBogdanZCH2O
  • AkweAkwe Oxfordshire, UKMember

If your talking of the Oceanman event, is the danger (wrt the dB) that the results may not indicate who's in a wetsuit and who isn't. I believe both are allowed unless very hot.

• PasqualePasquale Trento, ItalyMember

@evmo thanks for the clarification. This is a good news for me :smile: .

@Akwe they seems to have solved this, in 2020 rules is written...

"...The use of the wetsuit is optional. However, if the temperature is below 20 degrees it will be mandatory to wear it; between 20.1 and 25 degrees optional; above 25 degrees will be prohibited...."

and also

".6. - CATEGORIES AND AWARDS.
    If the use of the wetsuit will be optional (if the water temperature will be between 20.1 and 25 degrees), two classifications will be determined, one for swimmers WITHOUT wetsuit and one for those WITH wetsuit...."

I think I will go for it.. I just hope it wilt be above 20 which feels already cold for 14K to me ...

BogdanZ