San Francisco 24 Hour Relay - Feb 2016

suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
edited December 2016 in Event Announcements

I don't seem to be doing much actual swimming these days, but I sure am organizing and delegating.
This is NOT finalized yet so don't go buying tickets or anything but tentatively scheduled for Feb 5-7 2016. Super Bowl 50 is also being held that week in Santa Clara so hotel rooms may be at a premium.

We'll do our best to help if you are absolutely stuck. Molly just stayed at the Ft Mason Hostel and the price was right!

Same format as previous years. Dinner Friday night, relays of 4-10 people,

Cost ~$75.

If you are NOT a member part of your $75 will cover the day use fee so don't fuss about that.
Water temps ~ 52-57F.

ALL are welcome. If I don't know you I will probably query you on your cold water experience.
It's all for fun. No prize money, no fame or fortune.

Tagged:
loneswimmerAnthonyMcCarleyChrisgreene

Comments

• Well, that went over with a resounding thud. Due to lack of response, will be moving all communication to the dreaded FB or email.

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

A thud? That's not what i've heard. People are talking. I've heard of a SanFran duo trying to recruit a San Diegan, and there's a Seattle pair making plans to head south. Clearly the team planning is all happening with top secrecy, which sounds like the opposite of a thud.

If you build it Suzie, we will swim.

loneswimmerAnthonyMcCarleysuziedodsChrisgreene

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

There's rumours of possible international attendance also!

malinakaAnthonyMcCarleyssthomassuziedods

loneswimmer.com

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

suziedods said:
    Well, that went over with a resounding thud. Due to lack of response, will be moving all communication to the dreaded FB or email.

Sorry, my concentration span only went as far as a brief farcebook outburst.
    I'd like to get on a 4-6 person team, if possible. I should be off the crutches by then, but might still need to be carried to and from the water.

Put Amanda on my team...assuming I can just leave her in the water for 24 hours.

ssthomassuziedodsrosemarymint

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

I'll probably want to come, though minus my swim husband this year (most likely). Does anyone want me? I'd like a 4-6 person relay myself. :-)

suziedods

Come join us!

suziedods
  • Ah, see? whining works!!
    Thanks guys,as soon as I know if it's a go from the Dolphin Club Board next Wed, I'll continue to post updates here.
    "International contingent ' sounds WONDERFUL.
    :)

loneswimmer
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited November 2015

ssthomas said:
    I'll probably want to come, though minus my swim husband this year (most likely). Does anyone want me? I'd like a 4-6 person relay myself. :-)_

Your swim uncle might want to go.

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member

@suziedods

Superbowl weekend airfares for flying into San Francisco and surrounding airports on February 4 or 5 are almost three times the normal rate. Any consideration on moving it the prior weekend January 30th?

loneswimmerevmo
  • I will see if the Swim Schedule for the DC can be changed. I know I can NOT go to the next weekend as the facility is being used for another DC event.
    Have you looked into going into Sacramento?

• Ok.. from the (very responsive) powers that be, I can move it to the PREVIOUS weekend... Jan 29 ( Friday evening) Jan 30 ( Sat) and Jan 31 ( Sun).

JustSwimlakespray
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited November 2015

suziedods said:
    Well, that went over with a resounding thud. Due to lack of response, will be moving all communication to the dreaded FB or email.

Lessons learned?

Use FB if you want to cross-promote your event with DYST selfie posers.

Use MSF if you want someone to actually notice that your event is competing with the Super Bowl for air travel.

AnthonyMcCarleymalinaka

Eek I already booked for the 5th

• AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

I don't want to speak for Suzie, but I don't know when she'll be on here again... she told me earlier today that she won't have final approval from the Dolphin Club until the 18th.

• "**This is NOT finalized yet so don't go buying tickets or anything but tentatively scheduled for Feb 5-7 2016. Super Bowl 50 is also being held that week in Santa Clara so hotel rooms may be at a premium. **> "

Anthony is correct.. I will present this to the DC Board the evening of the 18th. I SHOULD have an answer then.
    I will post here and on FB as to the date...and if it's a "go" and when.

Addendum* I now have a paypal account so payment can be made via pay pal, ( although I DO like getting real checks w real mail.. )

• It's a GO.
    Okayed by the DC BOG.
    LIMITED to 75 swimmers
    Cost $95( Any left over goes to the DC Building Fund,I make no money on this, nor is that the intention)
    If I do not know you, please email me your cold water experience.
    We need to have an EMT/RN/MD available so if anyone has those credentials please email me or I will have to pay for one.
    ANY questions... PLEASE Ask.
    Thank you for your interest and participation.

evmolakespray
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member

What date did you settle on?

• Ooops , sorry. JAN 29 evening meal.. Jan 30 meet at 8AM, start at 9AM - FINISH 9AM sunday..
    Do allow time for clean up but most folks last year had 1pm or 2 pm flights and had no problem.

lakespray
  • We have 3 teams... and three payments..!!
    Water temp has dropped, really and truly dropped to 53.6 F.

• IF you are thinking of coming.. I need payment ($95) by Jan 10 2016. This is really important because I need to front the insurance costs.
    If you need my address. ... please pm me. or text 415-531-3374.
    If you paypal me, please note that paypal takes $3 ..

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited December 2015

Two items..
    Well, three...
    Checks that have been sent, will not be cashed until about the 10th of Jan , so don't panic.

If you have not sent a check. uhm.. do put it on your "to do " list please.

3-- a bit more complicated.. but there is a slight possibility that I will not actually be there due to familial circumstances.
    I will let you all know and there will be others, JUST as mean and strict and serious as I am to make sure the event goes smoothly and everyone has fun.
    If that is the case, I will let you know ahead of time who it is.
    Please give them your support.

Oh.. #4- Shawn Turner has once again given us some great designs but sadly he has to work. Can you imagine?

Where could you possibly need to go? Your entire family will be at the Relay. Or did I hallucinate meeting your parents last year?

ssthomassuziedods

edited January 2016

A few tidying up bits..

1- I would appreciate a check if you are planning to participate.

2- IF I need to delegate responsibilities ( I already have people lined up to help if I can't be there) ,Please, give them your utmost consideration. I know that sounds unnecessary but..
    Remember, you will need to chunk in some time in the kitchen, kayak if you are able and help w check in and check out for a bit.
    This is a low maintenance self directed event and everyone needs to put in their share as we all usually do!

* Any funds left over will be donated to the Dolphin Building Fund AND the South End Building Fund* I do NOT make any money on this( except sometimes I have leftover oatmeal).
    If $ is an issue, please email me, I want to make this accessible to all.

IF anyone has a spare bed for Friday night.. please give me a shout out.. we have some out of towners looking to crash.
    Thanks everyone for your consideration.

• Looks like rain... bring galoshes... and a raincoat..

malinaka
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member

Rain should warm the water up. Feel bad for the kayakers.

• gregocgregoc Charter Member

It wouldn't be the SF 24 hour relay without rain.

suziedods
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

I expect to see Suzie Dods yellow rain hat.

gregocsuziedods
  • Okey dokey.. We've gone from %70 chance of rain to %90.
    PLEASE , dinner Friday night is de rigeur ( and part of the fun)
    We will also do a walk through so everyone has an idea of the "sensitive areas" of the Club.
    Kitchen is headed by Damian and Susan . Please respect them.
    Each team will be signed up for a shift or two in the kitchen and there will be duties for THAT shift. ( this is to avoid the " oh I'll just heat pizza " syndrome.
    I know we will all want to just go home and crash Sunday AM .. BUT>... the place needs to be as clean ( or cleaner) than it was before we leave. Last year it was so fab to see it clean almost before we finished. Thank you.
    Friday night.. meet and greet at 5-6. Dinner at 6. Briefing at 6.30 or so.. Walk through at 7.15 ish.
    Please bring a copy of your insurance card if you can.
    My brother and Ann M will be in charge of sign in( they did such a good job last year)
    Blinky lights if you have them..

My mom will be there as well. So say hi and make sure she doesn't walk out the door please :)
    Please let me know if you have any questions.
    thanks again.

IronMike
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

To Suzie and everyone involved this year... Bravo!

Theo
  • Thank you everyone for coming. As soon as I can I will do the financials and clearly present those as well.
    We had some fab food, everyone was so accommodating when I went to the "buoy line" at night ( a dearth of kayakers) and it looks like we cleaned up enough to have it again next year!!
    With out you, there would be no event, so give yourself a pat on the back.

gregocJustSwimmalinakaevmo
  • A treat from Lisa Amorao-- I LOVE the music.Watch it all the way to end for some silliness. Video and stills from Lisa A and my sister Laura Leahy.

https://vimeo.com/lisaamorao/24hourrelay2016

JustSwim

FINALLY.. You all donated $250 to SERC building fund. $1092 went to DC Building Fund and I took home a box of black tea, a pound of oatmeal and 12 oz of leftover chorizo.
    $800 for ins and the rest was food and supplies( foil, paper plates etc, containers as well as sundry items ) I will put a picture of the financial on fb page.
    We got the ok for 2017 as far as I know and since there is no stupor bowl , I plan on the first weekend in Feb 2017.

evmoJustSwimTheogregoc