Request for: Chafing Photos and/or Photos of Murky-But-Swimmable Water

JenAJenA Charter Member
edited February 2016 in General Discussion

Hey everyone,

I've been working my way up the chains of a big-name swimsuit manufacturer, and have finally been put in contact with someone very senior, and very appropriate, who is interested in hearing our needs as marathon swimmers. (Hooray!)

I'd like to collect and forward pictures of:

• bathing suit chafing (but if you have a really great beard chafing picture that tells a story, that would be cool, too)
  • post-swim chafing wounds (perhaps your skin became infected?)
  • swim-able water with poor visibility (such as around Dover, where the chalk from the cliffs becomes sandpaper-y grit in the water, or perhaps there is still low-vis water around NYC)
  • anything else that demonstrates that some** marathon swimmers have needs that might not be met by regular swim suits

**I realise some of you benefit highly from poly and chlorine-resistant suits, and swim forever in them without difficulty, but some of us really struggle with today's fabrics, and experience true misery. [Thread: Lycra vs. Polyster / Chlorine-Resistant Swimsuits]

Should you find yourself in the enviable position of never having chafed badly, please reach out to someone you know that has. :)

I'll forward this thread to my contact, so feel free to post comments here directed to them if you like. Descriptive narratives encouraged!

If you'd rather not post photos publicly, PM me, and I'll give you my email address.

Tagged:

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited February 2016

OK, @JenA, this might not be what you're looking forward, as I'm one of the lucky ones to not have had any problems with suit chafing (knock on wood x 3). But these pictures will at least warn off anyone who's considering wetsuits and/or swimming without shaving.

This first one is from a simple 2K in salt water, wearing a wetsuit (I didn't know any better! It was my first OW swim!):

This one is from a 5K in salt water. I swam "naked." @AquaRob, after seeing this picture, said "Never forget to lube the pits, dude!" Noted.

THe next two are from my first 10K, in the UK, in a river. Wetsuit was mandatory. I had a farmer john. This is the result after "only" 2:35 (we had a generous push from the river Dart). N.B., the scars were still visible over five months later. After this, I've never worn a wetsuit again. And never will.

JenA

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Description cuz no pictures....
    I still have a scar under my left bosom from a 10 hr training swim in AP.
    THAT'S why I swam my EC topless...

tortugaKellieNoelFigartSydneD
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

@suziedods, I know I'm gonna regret this because I'll figure it out right after clicking "post comment", but what is AP?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

AP = Aquatic Park, where the mighty South End (and their neighbors the Dolphin Club) are based in San Francisco.

IronMike

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• It's also where the 24 Hr Relay takes place and the West Coast version of Champion of Champions.
    The park was built in 1930's as part of a WPA project and the Clubs have been there since 1937.
    ( sorry to be off topic)

• JaimieJaimie NYCMem​ber

Here's a fun murky water photo from END-WET in North Dakota last summer. Photo courtesy of Wes Peck. The water is actually quite clean, just muddy/silty, it's a great swim!murky water - wes peck

JenAIronMikeFrancossthomas
  • FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

Nice post @jmm234 . It made me think of @ChickenOSea blog about the 2014 swim and the murky water. Has some good photos as well.

http://marathonswimmers.org/blogs/chickenswims/2014/07/20/satisfying-and-delicious/

ChickenOSeaJenA
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

Loved that swim both times! Murky but delicious

ssthomas

Found some photos from EndWet 2013.

FrancorosemarymintJenAIronMike
  • JenAJenA Charter Member

@msathlete, I think you must have some gory 'beauties'? :)

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I like the dead fish floating next to the kayaker.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.