"Everyone thinks we're crazy"- the MSF t-shirt?

Comments

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    I've had a good experience with customink and zazzle.
  • CliffCliff Member
    50-Yard Free? Are you serious?
    dpm50
  • CliffCliff Member
    I "swim" with dolphins and they just laugh at me!
  • CliffCliff Member
    I love swimmin' with the jellies!

It's okay to pee in our "pool".
    dpm50
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    SUIT UP...

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• Marathon Swimmers are just like you...
    When we get bored, we switch Channels too

Marathon Swimming: Channels are for swimming, not watching
    loneswimmerdpm50
  • or better, Channels are for crossing, not watching
    loneswimmeremkhowleytimsroot
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    THought I'd revive this thread after seeing it in the Year in Review email from @evmo and @loneswimmer.

We did a calendar. Time for a t-shirt?
    JenAssthomasLeadhyenaemkhowley

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• andissandiss Senior Member
    A take on the Liverpool motto and a safety punt.

Marathons Swimmer: We'll Never Swim Alone
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member
    Marathon Swimming:
    Because comfort zones are for Dirt Dwellers
    dpm50emkhowley
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    Cliff wrote: »
    50-Yard Free? Are you serious?

Here's the funny thing: when I go to swim meets, I like the short races--50, 100, 200--but have longer distances in my sights for open water. Just dig the yin and yang of swimming. :) Loving this thread!

You're not a marathon swimmer 'til you've puked while swimming
    [/quote]

Hey, well, this sort of qualifies me--but I haven't quite the distance yet. Working on that part.

I offer this: Swimming--because I'm too cheap to buy a ferry ticket

IronMikeflystormsKate_Alexandertimsroot
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member
    There is no walking when you swim a marathon.
    ksmithIronMikeSuirThingKate_Alexanderdpm50
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    "I'm in it for the beer."
    mjstaplesIronMikerosemarymintdpm50

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

bump

(All the money I put aside a year ago to buy MSF t-shirts and swim caps is burning a hole in my swim suit pocket.)

Chrisgreene

• hey, be nice...you guys sure do a lot of triathlon, Ironman bashing...some of us do that and marathon swimming...weird snobbery I think?

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember

Elaine said:
    hey, be nice...you guys sure do a lot of triathlon, Ironman bashing...some of us do that and marathon swimming...weird snobbery I think?

This thread is tagged "humour." Worth considering?

Chrisgreene
  • JenAJenA Charter Member

From a wetsuits-taking-over-the-world perspective, it may not be the strongest move for our sport for us to self-brand as "crazy".

I'm still hoping some sort of MSF-branded stuff becomes available soon.

ChrisgreeneSuddethB

• edited February 2016

I still like the simple ones..... Marathon Swimming: Veni Vidi Vici

Thats what it's all about at the end of the day, everything else is fluff.

• tortuga said:
    "prodesse quam conspici" is Latin for (roughly) "To accomplish rather than be conspicuous" or possibly "To accomplish inconspicuously."

That's good stuff.

I like that, to complete the theme, the key to life is achievement, not boasting about it; we are known by what we do rather than what we claim. Cool.

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

Well if one wants to run with Latin and the elegant turn of the Laconic expression, I favor Solum Natare (We just swim)

[Deleted User]dpm50tortugagrappledunk

It's all moot till we actually make a t-shirt.

Or swim cap...

dpm50Kate_AlexanderJenAtortuga

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

@NoelFigart, @WarmWater If we to use Latin, then surely:

Veni, natavi, vici

would be apposite? I suffered latin in school. It was EXACTLY like the graffiti sketch in Life of Brian. Right down to the swords & centurians.

NoelFigart

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

IronMike said:

Or swim cap...

Mike, every time you complain about this, you're signing yourself up for another 10...right?

JenAIronMike

I sort of see this as a branding opportunity, and I'm not sure that Latin phrases work best here -- especially if you have to translate them for people. :)

Pure, uncomplicated, admirable, accepting and facing challenges, achievement... a sense of "original sport". These are the sorts of themes that I'd vote for (and products that I'd buy).

Perhaps someone has a marketing background they can share?

IronMike

@JenA, I'm certainly not suggesting Latin. I heartily dislike the idea of "conquering" the sea by a mere swim.

My preferred merchanise would be a simple enamel pin of the MSF logo. For anything else, Marathon Swimmers Federation is as much I'd want. But the idea of the thread was to have a bit of fun also. However I certainly don't have the bandwidth to organise anything.

NoelFigartSuddethB

loneswimmer.com

• JenA said:
    I sort of see this as a branding opportunity, and I'm not sure that Latin phrases work best here -- especially if you have to translate them for people. :)

Do it in English then because its a powerful message. "To accomplish rather than be conspicuous" .

Crests might work well. You could sew them onto swimsuits, towels, backpacks, clothing... People could make a DIY hoodie. They'd be relatively cheap, too... $2-3? There wouldn't be much damage risk throwing a couple of them in an envelope either.

SuddethB
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member

Rena has ordered patches for the IISA-USA org and the Winter Swimming thing from this site: http://www.thestudio.com/patches/#

I believe it cost $250 for 50 patches and they're high quality. Just sharing the resource if that's helpful!

loneswimmer

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

Thanks @emkhowley. There are a couple of (not impossible to overcome) difficulties . It's a little like the calendars except people have to decide what they'd want, then pay MSF, then Evan and/or I order, then we have to dispatch to multiple individual locations. That's adds time and drives up the cost to you all (double-shipping). However, would I like a badge or pion or t-shrt etc? Yes.

dpm50

loneswimmer.com

• I suggest we agree a design then lodge it with Redbubble or similar and whoever wants one simply buys it off their site. I did this with another club and it worked out very well.

Redbubble say they give assistance with art work etc.. does anyone have experience in this area?

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

maybe look at Cafepress if you are looking to just do t-shirts and other such items. People can just go in an order at their leisure. A bit high priced but it doesn't require much work otherwise (I assume). Just need logo artwork. No enamel pins or swim caps.

evmo said:

IronMike said:

Or swim cap...

Mike, every time you complain about this, you're signing yourself up for another 10...right?

Yes.

NoelFigartdpm50JenA

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Thanks, everyone. We are working on some options and hope to make something available soon.

In the meantime please continue to throw out slogan ideas, e.g., for a hypothetical back of a shirt, where the MSF logo is on the front.

AnthonyMcCarleypavlicovJenA
  • pavlicovpavlicov NYC USASenior Member

About 71% of the Earth is water covered: We swim it all !

Kate_Alexander
  • WarmWater said:

evmo said:
    In the meantime please continue to throw out slogan ideas, e.g., for a hypothetical back of a shirt, where the MSF logo is on the front.

Think we need to have front and back options lets not only have a back option. Whilst I have no problem promoting MSF, the idea is to have a fun tee shirt.

http://www.cafepress.com/+swimming+gifts has some reasonable style ideas.

• paulmpaulm Senior Member

Carrying on from @pavlicov above..... There is more room on this Earth to swim than to run or cycle

That said it may upset a few triathletes :)

dpm50

paulm said:
    Carrying on from @pavlicov above..... There is more room on this Earth to swim than to run or cycle

That said it may upset a few triathletes :)

Runner as well as swimmer (but don't do cycling--allergic to bikes... get road rash pretty quickly). ;) Not upset at all. Lots of water, not a lot of land, but enough for my needs. :)

Re t-shirts--would love to have long-sleeve shirts and/or women's cut. But neither one is a must. Just would be cool. :)

JenA
  • paulmpaulm Senior Member

What about the idea of getting the artwork done- Maybe 3 or 4 options/slogans plus logo. Than allowing members with ( say a minimum of 3-6 months membership or x number of posts ) the ability to download the artwork (maybe for a small contribution or we could all put in for the original artwork ) We could then get printed in our own cities/states/countries either individually or in small groups. This would do a way with the postage costs.

One possible back-of-the-t-shirt idea:

"It's not about the..." in a large(ish) font, and then massive representation from performance-enhancing anything from every single sport where more money tends to correlate with better performance :) ... wetsuit, bike, pedals, handlebars, carbon fork, rims, carbon seat post, suit, scull, skates, paddle, hockey stick, baseball bat, choreography, skis, poles, bobsled, costumes, harness, horse, sherpa, shoes, cleats, gloves, golf clubs, tennis racket, surfboard, snowboard, etc... I don't have an exhaustive list, but I hope the idea is clear. For visual interest (which is definitely not one of my strengths, at all, ever, under any circumstance, but may be an creative activity suited to @phodgeszoho), maybe you make some of them pictographs/icons.

Maybe sort of word-cloud-ish so certain words pop out more than others. And then maybe throw in some non-performance enhancing words like: crowd, podium, GoPro, publicity, fundraising, false claims, corruption, bribes...

Plus or minus words as desired. :)

edited February 2016

I just hope that the official t-shirt will not have any slogan bashing another sports or talking only about channel swimming ... There is much more to swimming that just a channel; and I would not wear anything that makes fun of another sports. Triathlon is as serious sport as any other. Just because we don't get it, does not mean it is any less athletic than what we do.

Hence, I propose: "About 71% of the Earth is water covered: We swim it all !"

Given that women make majority of marathon swimmers, I think women's sizes are must.

dpm50tortugaSydneDMaryStella

@pavlicov said:
    I just hope that the official t-shirt will not have any slogan bashing another sports ...

Apologies, @pavilcov, if you felt my comment would be interpreted as sport bashing. That wasn't my intention. My intention was to distinguish marathon swimming from the majority of sports where money tends to influence performance.

pavlicovdpm50

I got one made for myself to "test" out an online t-shirt supplier (Zazzle). I have my blog name on the front chest and the following on the back (with the blessing of @Leonard_Jansen).

tshirt back

ChrisgreeneNoelFigartswimdailyssthomasSwim_belleKatieBunSuddethB

• Dude, unless you're standing in line to catch a bus how are folks going to have the time to read all that?!

Marathon Swimmers because we can...

• bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
    edited February 2016

"One stroke after another, until I reach the other side."

dpm50

Niek said:
    The back of my officials-shirt when it was still new in 2012

Want it! :D

Niek said:
    The back of my officials-shirt when it was still new in 2012

Yeah, @Niek, how do we score one of those shirts? And what does it say on the front?

Have goggles and speedo, will travel.

dpm50