A 10k Race in NJ That We Missed...

There is a 10k swim race in Brigantine, NJ that I have never seen anything about. It seems to be mostly kid's races, but there is an open 10k (you need to be USMS, though). Last year there was only 1 open swimmer and 1 USAS swimmer. (What is USAS?) It's in mid-ish July and the price is a ridiculous bargain at $35.00. No date set for 2016, but it IS TBD.

I have an Artificial Intelligence that I wrote (her name is 'Anya') and I am trying to teach her to read and interpret web pages. She found this race and I have also told her to watch the race web page and let me know when they have a date.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

evmoIronMikedpm50

Comments

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    edited January 2016

Oh, yeah... the web page

-LBJ

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

USA Swimming is the sanctioning body for (mostly) youth participants in US competitive swimming. It's not restricted to youth, adults (like Olympians) can and do also participate.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

wendyv34 said:
    USA Swimming is the sanctioning body for (mostly) youth participants in US competitive swimming. It's not restricted to youth, adults (like Olympians) can and do also participate.

OK, call me stupid... I always think of USAS as US Swimming (USS). Brain cramp.

-LBJ

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

LOL! It would help if they didn't keep changing the name. Remember when AAU sanctioned swimming?

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member

Looks a lot more organized for 2016 than they did in 2015. It has been a super low-key event in the past (with the 2K being the draw for everyone), but if they're connecting it to the bridge to bridge swim, then it will probably have some more umph. If I could swim a 10K in under 3 hours, I'd totally sign up.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

rosemarymint said:
    Looks a lot more organized for 2016 than they did in 2015. It has been a super low-key event in the past (with the 2K being the draw for everyone), but if they're connecting it to the bridge to bridge swim, then it will probably have some more umph. If I could swim a 10K in under 3 hours, I'd totally sign up.

Me too. With family near there, I would totally do this. (Love the Cedar Island 5K) But 3 hour cut-off? Oy!

Actually, looking at the website, it is a 2:45 cut-off. The 10K race starts at 8am and the safety meeting for the 2K starts at "10:45 AM (Approximate) After the last swimmer from the 10k exits the water."

Holy jebus!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    edited January 2016

Another swim not far from me, so thanks for sharing, Leonard! I don't have the speed for it, but I like the location.

I was going to do the Bridge to Bridge 5k a couple years ago but the cut-off would have been too fast a time for me. So I signed up for the 2k, which turned out to be something of a challenge also, b/c we went out with the current and back against it. But Bob Schalley, who was RD at the time, was wonderful--very welcoming and very amenable to answering questions. And the race was pretty reasonably priced. As the only person in the 60-64 age group, I got a medal, which was a nice souvenir. I see he's involved with the Brigantine race too.

I'm not in the 3 hr 10k neighborhood. But those of you who are should have a good experience!