Uses for Dead Swimsuits

1) I always wear polyester jammers and have discovered that when they finally die, they make really good cloths for cleaning the shower and sink. The roughness of the polyester weave seems to scrub stuff away fairly easily and is resistant to most of the cleaning solutions I use.
2) I often put a memento of a race, such as the race cap, in a small frame. For the background, I've used some of the material from dead suits, especially if they are colorful or have a pattern on them.
3) Rather than put straight horse manure on a garden, you can fill up a dead suit with manure, close off the legs and waist and then soak that in a 5 gallon bucket for a few hours. Then put the water (a.k.a. "manure tea") on your plants. It has all the nutrients but won't kill the plants like straight manure can.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

Kate_Alexanderdpm50flystormsStLucia_Channel

Comments

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

Or, you can just toss them into the trash. ;)

wendyv34pavlicovdpm50BigGuppy412MLamby
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

swimmer25k said:
    Or, you can just toss them into the trash. ;)

Sigh... Some people's kids...

In addition, I am attempting to use two dead suits sewn together to make a "hammock" for my cats. Of course, cats beings cats, I'm sure I'll spend a lot of time on this and then they will turn their noses up at it.

-LBJ

bluemermaid9JenAIronMiketortugadpm50SydneD

OK, here's a strange one... I thought of this while trying to do something else. I tried it and it works.

One of my (many) quirks is that I HATE water spots or hard water deposits on the chrome bathroom fixtures. The last thing anyone would call me is a "neat freak", but this does bother me. Do this:

1) Get a piece of old swim suit.

2) Put a piece of baking parchment on a pizza pan or cookie sheet and put the swim suit piece on the parchment.

3) Take a cheese grater ( I bought a small one for $1.00 when The Court Without Appeal ruled that using the regular cheese grater was a sleeping-on-the-couch-with-the-cats offense) and grate a light dusting of wax over the swimsuit.

4) Put suit in oven at low temp for a minute or so - just until the wax melts.

5) Take it out of the oven and let it cool.

6) After you clean the bathroom fixtures and they are dry, rub the suit over the fixtures with some vigor. It will leave an invisible coating of wax and the water won't spot or deposit anything permanent.

You can use wax paper for this, but it doesn't do nearly as good of a job.

I said it was strange.

-LBJ

evmoIronMikesuziedodsdpm50SydneD

edited November 2019

Awesome use for dead swimsuit: Cut off the leg of a jammer and put it over the filter of your shop vac. It keeps the filter from clogging up with sawdust or crud and means you can use the filter for much longer than normal (They are really expensive).

You can also cut a smaller piece off the jammers and wrap it around smaller house vacuum filters.

The only downside to this is that you do have to shake out the filter on a regular basis to get the crud off the swimsuit.

https://photos.google.com/photo/AF1QipPfBQtGVzIeBGoAlzEUWlDoh4H6jzzmPj8cc1EW
    -LBJ

Kate_AlexanderevmoIronMikeJaimieStLucia_Channel