NYT - "Off the California Coast, a Swim Club’s Greatest Adventure"

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited October 2015 in General Discussion

Fantastic New York Times coverage of the currently-ongoing 70-mile swim in the Santa Barbara Channel:

http://www.nytimes.com/2015/10/13/sports/california-channel-islands-swim-club-san-nicolas-island.html

GPS tracking:

http://santabarbarachannelswim.org/tracking

DanSimonelligregocIronMikeAnthonyMcCarley

Comments

• DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member

Good NYT article.
    Excitedly following their progress now!

However, it never ceases to amaze me how the media doesn't really bother to fact check anymore!
    And at NYT no less!

"swimmer who had begun a first attempt at a crossing from San Nicolas to Santa Barbara Island the day before. He quit after three hours, physically and mentally spent, and violently ill. The swell and current were stiffer than he had anticipated and more than he could bear."

Referring to solo attempt by Anthony McCarley.

I was Anthony's lead kayaker and this description is both utterly inaccurate and unfair.

I won't elaborate on specific, correct details here, and I'm not sure what purpose it serves now, or relevant to the Deep Enders article.
    But, it sure is annoying when an otherwise presumed reputable journalist doesn't even bother to fact check!

evmogregoctimsrootmalinakaloneswimmerJustSwimAnthonyMcCarleytortuga
  • TheoTheo Oxnard, CAMember

Here are some pictures from the finish line after 33 hours 37 minutes and 23 seconds. Stacey Warmuth was the finisher.

AnthonyMcCarleyDanSimonelli
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    edited October 2015

Glad I hadn't read this earlier - if the swell and current were more than I could "bear", then why is my track (admittedly as short as it is) so straight? Did they just make that up out of thin air?

Sorry to detract on this chain from the wonderful accomplishment of this team! CONGRATULATIONS to them!

DanSimonellievmogregoc