Backyard Paradise

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited May 2014 in General Discussion
Post your open-water swimming related photos here. Show us your favorite swim spots. Attach a photo via the blue icon in the formatting toolbar. Please try to re-size your image before uploading, to reduce page load time.

I'll start. Here's Promontory Point in Chicago - still probably my favorite swim spot, even though I live in California now.
Tagged:
phodgeszoho

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited March 2012
    My first international swim was in Copenhagen, 2K around the Danish Parliament. Here's a pic I took after finishing, looking down the final straight-away.
    phodgeszoho

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I keep a mostly visual blog of my daily dip at Tooting Bec Lido, London, Uk. Temperature, distances, who I saw etc.
    http://quickdip.blogspot.com/
    phodgeszoho
    That's a great shot!

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    We need some kind of upvoting system!

loneswimmer.com

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    edited March 2012
    IronMike I love that picture! it reminded me of the Lee Swim in Cork that I did in 2008. Would love to do more swimming in Europe.image
    phodgeszoho
    i'm in that picture somewhere. Gasping for breath. My first "cold" swim :)
    I've got no idea what I'm pressing or clicking...obviously
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    edited March 2012
    Denver's famous Gravel Pond, at Chatfield. Those of you with oceans are lucky, but the gravel pond is 900m of cold, clear heaven from May-October. (At least until we get overrun by the wetsuits....)

• CliffCliff Member
    edited March 2012
    Denver's famous Gravel Pond, at Chatfield. Those of you with oceans are lucky, but the gravel pond is 900m of cold, clear heaven from May-October. (At least until we get overrun by the wetsuits....)
    There's our seasonal swimming hole! I miss it... *sniff*
  • KaneKane Member
    The 2012 Sydney Harbour Swim last Sunday: http://www.sydneyharbourswim.com/

Awesome location for a swim...!!!

phodgeszoho
  • njoynjoy Member
    edited March 2012
    The 2011 Kingdom 10-mile swim right after the start (Lake Memphremagog in Vermont). I love all the colorful kayaks. image
  • njoynjoy Member
    Haha sorry for the giant photo. :)
    ChickenOSea, I did not know you'd been over here. Did you make it out to Sandycove, the Lee river is awfully warm :-)

loneswimmer.com

It was in 2008, was staying in London and couldn't bear the thought of leaving without an OW swim. Didn't have time for any more travel though :(. Lee was the first time id been in the water since the Key West three weeks prior and boy did I get a shock!! Had to float around for a few minutes to get my breath but then loved it!!! Unfortunately the results have me down as being wetsuit (I wasn't!).
    Would LOVE to go back
    edited March 2012
    The 2012 Sydney Harbour Swim last Sunday: http://www.sydneyharbourswim.com/

Awesome location for a swim...!!!
    Kane that's torturing me.....
    edited March 2012
    Here's Promontory Point from around lunchtime today. Spectacular on the north side. The water was crystal clear and looked like the Caribbean. Didn't quite feel it at 48 degrees but that's super warm for this time of year.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @ChickenOSea That's the author of Wind, Waves, and Sunburn in the middle, is it not?
    yeah they were trying to find somewhere to get in that wasn't too slippery. He kept saying "I'm going to chicken out" but got in eventually.
    edited March 2012
    my companions

edited March 2012
    Sandycove island, Cork, Ireland.
    phodgeszoho

loneswimmer.com

• WalterWalter Southern CaliforniaMember
    edited October 2012
    La Jolla Cove, San Diego, CA
    201003990.JPG

I'm not very popular around here; but I've heard that I'm huge in Edinburgh!

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Coming out of the water in Jeremie, Haiti.
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    And... first training of the season, May 11, Aquatic Park, San Francisco. On race day, we swim in the opposite direction. :)
  • [img][/img]Bowman Lake, Glacier National Park. 10 miles!
  • SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    edited September 2012
    My favourite swim is from Carrick-on-Suir's Ormond Castle to the town's "Old Bridge" and back. It is a relatively short swim, but the current can be fast which makes swimming through the arch a nice challenge at the half-way point and an easy swim home. My uncle lives directly across the river from the castle which allows for easy access and somewhere safe to leave my gear.

In "Going By Water" local poet Michael Coady described travelling through the arch of the bridge, which was built in 1445, thus
    "under a bridge that stood,
    before Columbus raised a sail"

[/quote]

phodgeszoho

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Overlook the Molokai (Kaiwi) Channel from Oahu - Molokai, Hawaii! Just incredible how blue the water was...
    Little ice swimming at beautiful Keystone Lake in the western Pennsylvania mountains!

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• jendutjendut Charter Member
    edited October 2012
    This is what Lake Memphremagog looked like at the end of a LONG day (9/8/12)!
  • 542437_10100584293892454_1420301577_n.jpg

Lake Mendota, Madison, Wisconsin.
    edited October 2012
    eek...technical difficulties. will try again later. :-)

I can't believe no-one has posted Dover here yet. I'll see if can find something good in my archives. And what about La Jolla, Goleta, Bondi, Perth etc?

loneswimmer.com

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Dover it is. July 2012 with ssthomas.

[img][/img]zHs5G.jpg
    molly1205loneswimmer
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited October 2012
    Nauthólsvík Geothermal Beach in Reykjavík, Iceland. Naturally heated spa in forground, naturally cold North Atlantic in background, swam about 2K skin in water about 55F. It is nice to warm back up in the spa. July 2012

[img][/img]QquLz.jpg?1
    edited October 2012
    I have some from Dover and the EC. I love pictures of cool places to swim around the world!

488208_10100831939837781_624500755_n.jpg?dl=1
    This is what two weeks of waiting in rain and wind looks like in Dover:

529168_4296108040932_743117878_n.jpg?dl=1
    edited October 2012
    When I was starting my blog a few years ago, I'd briefly considered calling it ZC2.com (but I knew the reference would be too confusing, obscure and hard to remember except to Channel swimmers ferry-dodgers). Anyway, I'd long wanted to take a halfway decent picture of the buoy, which I finally got this season.

5C5Ye.jpg

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2012
    The Farallones, 30 miles west of the Golden Gate Bridge, as viewed from Lands End, San Francisco on 15 October 2012.

Ted Erikson ( @SdogV) swam from there in 1967, and no one has done it since.

This is a rare view, and I was lucky to catch it.

?size=l
  • swimavswimswimavswim Member
    edited October 2012
    When I was starting my blog a few years ago, I'd briefly considered calling it ZC2.com (but I knew the reference would be too confusing, obscure and hard to remember except to Channel swimmers ferry-dodgers).
    Yeah..love the ZC2 Bouy. That was when i knew i would make it!

IMG_1031.jpg
    loneswimmer
    Penny Palfrey and I. I would have taken this picture at the finish of Swim the Suck, but one of us beat the other by over an hour. (Sorry for the huge size; I can't figure out how to make it smaller.)

6a00e55387f26c8833017ee443d1cf970d-pi

And me and the Big River Man at the Pot House after StS 2012.

6a00e55387f26c8833017d3cce78c7970c-pi

From Tampa, with that damn impossible Gandy Bridge in the background.

6a00e55387f26c883301901b95daf1970b-pi

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Merged from @Dawn_Treader's other thread "Backyard paradise," to which this thread is now re-titled:

@Dawn_Treader:
    Do you have pictures or clips of your favorite lake or bay where you train? I am often envious of the athletes who live near the sea, but as I was searching for some glacier or alp lakes to train in over the weekends this summer, I found this little gem of a clip that made me more appreciative of the beauty that that is in my own back yard. Please share your paradise with the community! Here is mine:

fwvga1_zps02ee3ff7.jpg

@evmo:
    I like your thread title better, though, @Dawn_Treader. Would you mind if I re-titled the "Swim Pics" thread to "Backyard paradise"? Then we combine the extensive content of the Swim Pics thread with the more creative title of this thread.

@Dawn_Treader:
    Good idea evmo. I think often we take for granted the beauty outside our our own back door. Perhaps not races or places we visit- maybe just the places we train on a day to day basis was what I was thinking. I am planning glacier swims in the the Swiss alps to keep my acclimatization and it is turning into an exciting project. They will be mainly combined with hikes to no man land terrain. I think I am more excited about this than my goal. Well they say the way is the goal. I post here another long vidieo if anyone is bored. The lake at 17:02 min is the one to go for. Perfect conditions for the Channel. Cold dark, lonesome and kind of scary. I'll need to check for safety issues, because of the dam, but I know of another aspirant who trained in this lake.

@Bill:
    Meech lake, 20 minutes from my place.... 15 early on Saturday morning. 4km down, 4km back

MM23.jpg
  • oxooxo Guest
    edited April 2013
    I was nosy:
    http://e-collection.library.ethz.ch/eserv/eth:6344/eth-6344-02.pdf

Matteo Bonalumi's 2012 dissertation, p25

Temperature - In winter, the reservoirs are covered by ice and are inversely stratified; i.e. temperature increases with depth. Temperature profiles collected below ice in Oberaarsee show an increase from 0 °C just below the ice to a maximum of 2.5 °C in the deep-water (Figure 4a, black line) with the highest values already reached at 1 to 2 m depth. Similar to Oberaarsee, also Grimselsee is inversely stratified under the ice, with temperatures increasing to 2.5 °C in the top 5 m and remaining constant down to the deepest reaches of the reservoir (Figure 4b, black line).

In July, both reservoirs are ice-free and thermally stratified. In Oberaarsee surface water temperature reaches 14 to 15 °C with a thermocline at ~15 m depth and deep-water temperatures of ~4 °C (Figure 4a, grey line). In contrast, the surface temperature of Grimselsee is lower, reaching a maximum of ~10 °C (Figure 4b, grey line). The thermocline, in only a few m depths, is less developed, and the temperature decreases to below 5 °C in the deepest zone. Temperatures vary systematically between days and nights when the reservoirs are ice-free. Even if no measurements were taken during nights, temperatures show variations of up to 1 to 2 °C in the surface water between early morning (representing night temperatures) and afternoon due to the daily heating/cooling cycle.
  • fbhidyfbhidy Member
    402485_10150483300772825_2080403814_n.jpg

Skaneateles Lake, Skaneateles NY, USA. The lake I swim in starting this month (hopefully it gets above 50deg F soon.) I'm still pretty new to OWS racing and cold water, but between here and the St Lawrence River in northern New York I have lots of cold water to swim in...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2014
    Santa Barbara, California - with Los Baños del Mar Pool in the foreground. One of the oldest continuously-active public LCM pools in the US. Where I swam growing up.

OEIHUK0OSRRP.jpg

Makes you wonder how a kid here couldn't end up as a swimmer!

(Photo courtesy of santabarbaraca.com)
    phodgeszoho
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Rincon!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited June 2014
    [img][/img]HAKERSBC1MG7.jpg

Tomales Bay White Tipper

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• DocScottDocScott Redwood City, CaliforniaMember
    edited June 2014
    Na Pali Coast of Kauai!OWZ2WX16L56L.jpg
    phodgeszohodpm50
  • SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    It's not open water, but this is my literal backyard paradise and where I swim most days of the year when chilly New England prevents my wimpy cold fearing self from swimming outside.
    XQ2EHAKU5KTG.jpg
    molly1205NoelFigartdpm50
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    Wow! That's almost exactly what I dream about having built in my backyard! Does it have solar panels on the roof?

Color me totally jealous!

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member
    I wish we had solar panels. Not yet but someday. :)

And yeah--it's pretty heavenly. Of course, it rarely looks as pristine as this since, um, actual swimmers use it. :)
    dpm50