MSF 2016 Photo Calendar submissions

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited November 2015 in Admin Communications

Hey all,

One of the lessons I learned last year was not to leave submissions too late. So of course I've left it late, even later than last year! But let's hope not too late.

So I'm requesting any images related to the sport of open water and marathon swimming for a potential 2nd MSF calendar, for 2016.

As you know, @evmo & I will spend the proceeds on cocaine and hookers, since apparently this sport is completely drug free and no-one will suspect us.
Because someone with no humour (with a "u", dammit) might take that seriously, actually no, we'll use anything over the costs to cover MSF costs, and those who have seen @evmo's prodigious work on the new Swim Tracking site will see how significant those can get to be.

We are NOT restricting the images to those taken in 2015. For those who purchased last year's calendar or saw some of the images, you'll know I'm looking for strong good quality images.

Most of us are lucky if we even have a single image of ourselves with an arm over the water. Quite a few of those were submitted last year. They will have to be really good to make the cut, just saying...

Think about all the other facets of marathon swimming: cold days, suffering, post-swim bloat, (anyone got a good one?) the helpers, the feed boxes, kayakers, boats, pilots, weather, charts, feeding, boat loading, etc. Entertain us!

Your photos will remain your copyright. If we get this working and we have a process, you will retain ownership and copyright of your images, you just allow us to use them for this one project. We will not use them for anything else. Each image will have a title and the photographer's name.

SUBMISSION RULES
(.ie. Lessons learned from last year).

1: The Deadline is the end of October. You have 5 weeks. Please send me everything as soon as possible though.

2: The image must be original full size. This is ensure sufficient print quality. Minimum resolution that will be considered is 1200 pixels wide. I will not look at thumbnail images and then have to chase you for it. Pictures shot on a Nokia 3300 in 2002, etc, I'm afraid not..

3: Landscape images are preferred. It's very hard to make both portrait and landscape work on the same A4-size page, so portrait images, while still acceptable, have an additional burden.

4: The aspect ratio / cropping must be standard 4:3 or 3:2. If you have a widescreen cropped image I'd have to crop it anyway so please do it yourself and retain control.

5: The file name MUST include the photographer name, and preferably also the subject name and location or any other essential detail that will need to be in the final description. Please put all the detail in the file name, because if you don't then, yes, you make it more difficult.

6: You must have the right to submit it, or if the image belongs to someone else, you must send me the permission and contact email of the person who took it.

7: Please do not send me a gallery of 20+ images. All you do is make more work for both of us. Please send your best images, not ALL your images. Gallery images leave me having to do more work on downloading & titles.

8: Submissions are limited to 5 per person. If you send me a gallery of 20 I won't look at them.

9: Images submitted last year are not allowed.

10: Don't "nominate" images. Please don't describe something and tell me to look for it. Please don't send me links to images and tell _me _to find out if I can use them.

11: Don't post images in this thread. Please don't send me Facebook links, I don't Facebook.

12: SEND THE IMAGES TO the MSF submission page.

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:
evmomalinakaJenAIronMikeJustSwimbluemermaid9AnthonyMcCarleyslknightDeemaJbetleyGvanderbylcthoroldklassman

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

As an incentive to submit photos, we will send a complimentary calendar to anyone whose image is selected for the final product.

http://marathonswimmers.org/submit/calendar-photo

IronMikeloneswimmerslknight
  • I used last year's calendar to keep track of my training mileage all year. It's a great motivational tool. Thanks for putting it together!

evmoloneswimmerNoelFigartmsathlete
  • LynnkubLynnkub Charter Mem​ber

I loved last year's calendar, however putting Monday at the front of the week instead of Sunday (is that a European thing?), messed me up on dates more times than I care to admit. Can this year's calendar start weeks with Sunday like just about every other calendar I have ever seen? Please?

Francomolly1205IronMikewendyv34Deema
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

Every calendar I have seen starts with a Monday each week! :)

I would prefer the calendars to start with Monday each week. That makes logical sense to me. Start the week with Monday, 5 days at work, 2 days of fun at the weekend. Otherwise it gets really confusing if the weekend is spread over two lines and I have to write the weekend activities down twice.

timsrootpavlicovevmoloneswimmerssthomaschloemccardeldotcom
  • NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

So, I think we're seeing a US/European thing here.

Calendars in the US do start with Sunday. (As a historical aside, I suspect Quaker influence. They call Sunday the First Day.)

• molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member

Could we have Euro and USA versions? I've also messed up appointments with the Monday start of the week. Thanks!

Franco

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member

I appreciate @Lynnkub bringing this up. Several months ago I messed up a payroll (fortunately early instead of late) and decided to hang another calendar next to my MSF.

I don't think we need to debate what is considered the first or last day of the week. That isn't the issue here. The simple fact is that most calendars in the US begin with Sunday and it appears others like me have become accustomed to this. Perhaps it is too much work to have two types of calendars but I find it to be a reasonable request.

Either way, I get a smile on my face when I look up and see that beautiful Labrador swimming with Bethany.

evmo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

It's funny, I always set my web calendars to Monday-first, as I can't stand the American custom of spreading the weekend across two lines. I guess I should probably move to Europe?

In any case, the vast majority of calendar orders last year came from the US so this is a preference we'll need to reckon with. We want Franco to get his payroll right! :)

Thanks everyone for the interest.

Francoloneswimmer
  • Canadian here - I'd prefer Sunday first too! The Monday first did throw me off at times.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Click like on @Lynnkub's thread if you want the calendar to start with Sunday and click like on @ZoeSadler's thread if you want it to start on Monday.

How about that?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

@Lynnkub, I've never heard of a week starting with Sunday, so it wouldn't have occurred to me, and didn't until you mentioned it. As Niek points out, it's a bit like the Imperial vs metric comparison, where most of the world is metric and all you Americans are WRONG!

One thing though, we weren't given a choice when we were laying out the calendar. But sure, I'm happy to pander to your whims if possible when we're laying it out. Just fingers crossed we get some more submissions, 'cause it's looking a bit dodgy right now.

Evan

loneswimmer.com

edited October 2015

Come on people, send in your pictures! I want my calendar!

DeemaJenA

• I live in the Arabian Gulf, weekends here are Friday - Saturday :D
    But I am used to the Monday start of the week thing!
    What should I ask for?

JenA
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

What should I ask for?

A good hiding. In the Irish use of the word.

NoelFigartgregoc

loneswimmer.com

• JenAJenA Charter Member

Canadian calenders tend to be Sunday-Saturday as well.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited October 2015

@j9swim was kind enough to share how she uses the MSF calendar. Love it!

photo

NoelFigartlakesprayssthomas
  • mpfmarkmpfmark Teesside England Charter Member

i would suit again but prob won't make the cut! you have lasts years still DB

• I am new here, but I love the idea of looking at inspiring photo's of places I want to swim! I have some open water photo's but they are not from marathon distance races- should I send them in or wait until I have a distance worth bragging about?

Camille said:
    I am new here, but I love the idea of looking at inspiring photo's of places I want to swim! I have some open water photo's but they are not from marathon distance races- should I send them in or wait until I have a distance worth bragging about?

@Camille, one of mine last year made it and it was from a 2K swim in Denmark. Definitely send your pictures!

So how'd we do? Did you get enough pictures? Good quality?

I'll take 10. ;)

This discussion has been closed.