Nanaimo Ocean Swim - Saturday, 29 Aug 2015

SalishSeaSalishSea Nanaimo, BC CanadaMember
Well we make it through our first year and have learned a lot. So this year is going to be even better! The best comment one the races was from one of the 11km racers who said "It was like swimming through a Monet painting".

http://www.viendurance.net/nanaimo-ocean-swim/
Tagged:
evmojkormanik

Comments

• Looking forward to it!
  • SalishSeaSalishSea Nanaimo, BC CanadaMember

I have updated the Safety Plan and Race Rules for those that are interested.

As well any RDs out there who want to use a copy let me know and I can send you a .pages or .doc file so you can edit it.

As a side note to the Canadian Swimmers out there. As of today there are 7 folks racing in the 11km race and 5 of them are from Washington State. So I might have to change the name of the race to reflect the majority of the swimmers. To bad I just got a new logo too!

JenAevmophodgeszoho
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

You'll have at least one, maybe three more heading up your way. You're event is a big topic of discussion at the beach every Saturday.

SalishSea

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• MikeHMikeH Member

I'm one of the Wa swimmers in it. Missed it last year due to a last-minute family emergency, but really looking forward to it this year :).

SalishSeamalinaka
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Coming up this weekend!

Sadly, got postponed due to some unseasonably strong winds, upwards of 30mph. I was up to kayak for an 11k-er and we went over to a nearby cove that morning for a dip instead, I can say firsthand that it would have been an frightening day to kayak and a long, cold swim in that weather.

There was talk of @SalishSea rescheduling the event on the 19th if he can get the permits and insurance sorted out in time.

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

Aw, darn! That had to be disappointing for everyone involved. I was wondering how (if?) it went... I had to bail on my plan to swim around Blake Island over the weekend too.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

Update: the swim was not able to be rescheduled this year.

That being said, if anyone is dying for a Northwest 11k, RT Alki Beach - Blakely Rock is 11.0k and I've got a boat...

timsroot

• SalishSeaSalishSea Nanaimo, BC CanadaMember

Hey Folks what a crazy Fall. Yes I the race did get canceled. The wind was crazy, they even canceled the ferries it was so bad. Not a time to be having a swimming race. I tried to reschedule the race but I just couldn't get things sorted out.

I am still planning on doing it again next year! Saturday August 27th 2016! Plus I am planning on adding a 'down river to the ocean swim' next July - Distance and date TDB.

Thanks to all those who made the trip. You have no idea how honoured I felt to have such a great group of swimmers show up for my little event! As always you guys rock. Thanks again.

JenAmalinaka