New World-Wide Holiday

25 August of this year will mark the 140th anniversary of Mathew Webb's English Channel swim. As the future ruler of the entire world, I hereby declare that 25 August of every year shall henceforth be a new holiday known as "Marathon Swimming Founders Day" (i.e. "MSF Day") in honor of the (wo)men who got this insanity rolling. Festivities shall include, but are not limited to:
1) Posing for pictures in old-fashioned swim suits while looking very (wo)manly. Flexing encouraged.
2) The growing of Adventure Beards/Mustaches (Women might want to skip this one).
3) Drinking of brandy, a common drink during some early swims. (Skip the strychnine that some people used, please.)
4) The telling of tales of bold and (wo)manly deeds. (Outrageous lies encouraged. Sexual conquest stories allowed only if there is an heroic component.)
5) Swimming, swimming, swimming.

Your future king,
LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

mjstaplesmalinakaAnthonyMcCarleyNoelFigartOnceaRunnerHollyTJenAphodgeszohoIronMikeJSwimdpm50

Comments

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

Brandy and outrageous lies.

Works for me.

dpm50
  • HollyTHollyT Member

Not Bad. I'm "All in"

dpm50
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

This is the post @loneswimmer references in his latest blog post.

Question up for discussion: 24 or 25 August? ;)

JenA

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

I suggest extending this to a week-long celebration... or how about Marathon Swimming Month? (with a stage swim to observe the occasion?)

Re #1... I don't have any old-fashioned swimsuits, but I've posed in my regular suit on many occasions, though didn't at any point flex--so I'm 1/3 of the way there. Oh and to make this authentic, shouldn't the cameras be of late nineteenth century vintage?
    2. Yeah, thanks, I'll pass on that. But guys, knock yourselves out!
    3. Well, my chosen libations tend to be beer or wine, but I've sipped a brandy alexander on occasion. Grateful you've taken strychnine off the table.
    4. Telling of tales... Yeah, check out my FB posts... I can add to those as needed.
    5. Marathon swim debut is 9/4, so technically late for the holiday, but as I swim to train for it, I'll count that.
    Thanks for your suggestions, Leonard! Consider being emperor--more perks, better pay, and then you can appoint underlings such as kings and queens to do the work.

Leonard_Jansen said:
    25 August of this year will mark the 140th anniversary of Mathew Webb's English Channel swim. As the future ruler of the entire world, I hereby declare that 25 August of every year shall henceforth be a new holiday known as "Marathon Swimming Founders Day" (i.e. "MSF Day") in honor of the (wo)men who got this insanity rolling. Festivities shall include, but are not limited to:
    1) Posing for pictures in old-fashioned swim suits while looking very (wo)manly. Flexing encouraged.
    2) The growing of Adventure Beards/Mustaches (Women might want to skip this one).
    3) Drinking of brandy, a common drink during some early swims. (Skip the strychnine that some people used, please.)
    4) The telling of tales of bold and (wo)manly deeds. (Outrageous lies encouraged. Sexual conquest stories allowed only if there is an heroic component.)
    5) Swimming, swimming, swimming.

Your future king,
    LBJ

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

PS Since I didn't see loneswimmer's post until around 10pm yesterday, I'm voting for 8/25, although the convergence of 8/24 with National Waffle Day has its attractions, as swimmers, hungry from their effort, might want to have a bunch of waffles (with generous quantities of syrup and fruit, maybe even some whipped cream).

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited August 2015

I'd love to answer your question in the thread in which it was asked @evmo, but you listed it in admin comms which I cannot answer.

I'd say, at least for Webb being the first, I'd say the finish is more meaningful. He started twice (if I remember my reading correctly). His finish started the whole English Channel crossing craze and the resultant marathon swimming sport, so I'd say at least for an international holiday, the day he finished should be celebrated.

Granted, I've got nothing against a two-day holiday...

dpm50JenA

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2015

IronMike said:
    I'd love to answer your question in the thread in which it was asked @evmo, but you listed it in admin comms which I cannot answer.

Apologies... that's a mistake on my part when I originally set up the Admin Comm category. Thanks for alerting me! Everyone should be able to comment now...

IronMikedpm50