Lake Tahoe swims 2013-2015

lakespraylakespray Senior Member
edited March 2017 in Cheering Section
Veteren marathon swimmers Craig Lenning (Triple Crown, North Channel, Tsugaru Strait, Cook Strait, @uss_lenning) and Sarah Thomas (Triple Crown, SCAR, @ssthomas) were spotted entering the water in a standard textile swim suits, cap and goggles at Incline Village, approximately 4:30 PM Pacific Time 7/18/13. Additionally support crews were observed. There has been some speculation that in 10 or 11 hours a flip turn may occur.
Tagged:

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2013
    Translation: Lake Tahoe two-way attempt. Unprecedented in traditional marathon swimming attire. Done once in a wetsuit by @Jamie Patrick (and kudos to that).

SPOT tracker? Current water temp?
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    No SPOT tracker but I will try to give updates from there Facebook feeds. Current water temps around 18C
    edited July 2013
    @ssthomas first lap completed in about eleven hours and thirty eight minutes, landed at Camp Richardson. Ate Oreos banana and carrots re-entered the water and started swimming back. Craig is a little behind her.
  • ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Sarah has 13-miles to go via @jamie (10:40 EST, 7:40 PST) Awaiting update on Craig's status... Jamie sent a beautiful video of Sarah swimming (with some awesome background music of course) - she's looking great!!

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

UPDATE:
    From May Lenning-
    "About 30-miles in. Sarah is a mile or so ahead."
    -Sarah around 12-miles out, Craig about 13-miles out; give or take...

www.darren-miller.com

UPDATE:
    From @jamie-
    "Sarah about 3K out, Craig about 5K."
    Update as of 3:54 EST, 12:54 PST.
    GO SARAH AND CRAIG!!

www.darren-miller.com

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Wow. Great stuff guys. And I got to ask: carrots?

loneswimmer.com

• oxooxo Guest
    well done you two!
    Sarah's out, first person to ever double Tahoe under English Channel rules! Congrads!
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    A stunning achievement. =D> =D>

I'd have to say, an early front-runner for the 2013 ms.org Solo Swim of the Year.
    Craig Lenning, Mr. Hook & Boom himself has now finished as well. Once again EC rules all the way although Craig may not have worn a swim cap because it was likely too warm for him. Way to go guys & gals!
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    Thanks all. Not sure on my official time. I was just focused on swimming, no clue when we got in or out, but my first lap was 11:38 and rumor has it, I negative split. Craig was only about 10 minutes behind when I turned around and a few hours behind at the end, since Craig slowed up in anticipation of his Bering Straight relay coming up. As a result, he looked a lot better finishing than I did!

And yes, @loneswimmer.... carrots. Who knew those would be delicious?! Glad I had them! We learn something new every time!

Perfect conditions, after a choppy start. Still a long day! Our crews were amazing!
  • MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member
    Congratulations both, awesome swim.
  • worthyadvisorworthyadvisor Chicago, ILMember
    Congrats!!

I'm the Wiccan Christian that was profiled in USMS's Swimmer Magazine in 2017. Soon, I'll be moving to Zurich, Switzerland. Also, I pray to St. Adjutor, the patron saint of open water swimmers.

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited July 2013
    Was at Lake Tahoe for the relays and there were the sort of conditions needed for the swim....(you don't always have low wind speeds in the afternoons)....but swimming at elevation in cool water for that amount of time is incredible...Darrin Conolly from the South End finished a fast solo on the 19th in great conditions....I agree with evmo...this swim(s) should be considered of an historic nature/swim for many reasons...and should have a consideration for solo swim(s) of the year ...congratulations to all three swimmers!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

We went by Darrin on our way out! It was dark and quiet, and then my crew started hooting and hollering. It was fun to know someone else was enjoying the amazing night with us. The conditions were pretty much perfect, after the sun went down anyway. The first 6 hours had a pretty strong headwind that Craig and I both struggled with. After that though, I don't think we could have asked for more. Tahoe is a beautiful lake. I'll be back!
  • what was the total distance in km's for this swim
  • JamieJamie Member
    Hi All - FYI - I will have a full swim report out soon. It was the most amazing thing I have ever experienced seeing these two amazing people make history. I used a new navigation software that will be fun to show everyone. I can not tell you how honored I feel to have been part of this. Craig and Sarah are two of the toughest people I have ever met. Just and FYI - Sarah covered 3.57 Kilometers her last hour. WOW.. And I never heard one complaint from her in 22 hours. Oh and she negative split the swim. 11hrs 38 mins for her first lap and 10 hrs 47 mins for her second lap. awesome to say the least. Stay tuned for all the details, videos and photos.....
    That's not entirely true... I do remember complaining that Ryan and @Jamie hadn't caught any fish off the back of the boat. I was in need of some entertainment and had been looking forward to watching them pull out some lake monsters. You really would have thought in 22 hours they would have caught something!
  • JamieJamie Member
    edited August 2013
    I would like to congratulate Janet Manning on completing a wetsuit assisted swim across Lake Tahoe. Although her swim is not considered a marathon swim I am so proud of her in so many ways. When we started to work together she had swam no more than 20,000 yards in a week. Through hard work her longest week approached 70,000 yards. Because of weather we had to do her swim overnight. She was tough as nail. Janet finished her swim in 14 hours and 29 minutes. The reason why I am posting this on The Marathon Swimmers Forum is because I wanted to point out that Janet has made a effort to explain to those following her and the media the difference in her wetsuit swim and a marathon swim. Here is part the report she sent her local media.

"Another important distinction to make about my swim is that it was a wetsuit assisted swim. A wetsuit does give a swimmer an advantage of warmth, floatation & compression. There are those who do this swim by traditional English Channel rules (only a cap, goggles a swimsuit permitted). I have done long distance or marathon swims by these rules, however b/c of the temp of Lake Tahoe and the long time I would be in the water, I knew I would need to have a wetsuit this time."

Congrats to Janet. She is amazing...
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited August 2013
    Well done on all counts, Janet!

Janet is a forum member, perhaps she'll come out & take a bow? :)
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Well done! Her keeping the record straight with the media is exemplary! (sp?)

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• FrancoFranco Chestertown, MDCharter Member
    Way to go @JBirrrd!

It was great to follow swim with commentary by @Jamie. You could tell that neither one would give up on each other and the swim would be a success.

Congrats to both!
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    Wow, my own strand on the forum. I don't know what to say. As you can tell, I am not a top ow swimmer, but I'm discovering that my story has struck a chord with many. I only began ow water swimming to aid in my recuperation after an accident. Four years later, I have achieved an unthinkable goal, crossing Lake Tahoe. Even with a wetsuit, this was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. I believe people in the general public are inspired by this b/c if an avg 50 yr old swimmer like me can set a goal like this and be successful, then really, there's nothing holding anyone back from achieving their own dreams. Important to note, all credit goes to Jamie Patrick for training my body & Jen Schumacher for training my head. I had planned to attempt this swim again next year sans wetsuit, but that's not gonna happen b/c I made the decision to retire from swimming at 3am in the middle of Tahoe last Fri. But life is good, swim on...
    phodgeszoho
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Magnificent swim, Janet. You are inspirational!

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited September 2013
    Four years later, I have achieved an unthinkable goal, crossing Lake Tahoe. with a wetsuit, this was the most difficult thing I have ever done in my life. I believe people in the general public are inspired by this b/c if an avg 50 yr old swimmer like me can set a goal like this and be successful, then really, there's nothing holding anyone back from achieving their own dreams
    OMGosh...
    Substitute: thirty for four
    Florida Straits for Lake Tahoe
    stinger for wet
    64 for 50
    and insert extreme before dream.
    I was channeling Diana Nyad one month before her epic swim.
    Or am I the mole?
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Major accomplishment, especially considering that it was done at altitude! What's more, coming back from an accident to do something of that magnitude is certainly amazing. This is the kind of stuff that adds to the greatness of this sport, and inspires us all to keep crawling out of bed at 5am to put in the work to reach our goals. Congrats.!!!!!!

Keep moving forward.

edited September 2013
    accidental bump ;-)
  • I must say I do get tired of hearing about Tahoe swims involving wetsuits and fins. It is refreshing to hear of people that take the swim seriously. Congratulations to Sarah and Craig on their double crossing. Having made the swim from Tahoe Keys to Incline it is good to hear of others taking the Tahoe challenge.

• heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Incredible! Well done, you guys!
    edited July 2015

South End marathon swimmers Vanessa Miller-Sims and Amy Gubser will be swimming the length of Lake Tahoe tonight. They both swam Sharko’s 20K earlier this month on great times and have trained really hard for this. I will be watching tonight and tomorrow morning for their progress. They jump at 9:00 pm and will be guided by the man with the Reptilian brain aka Tom Linthicum our South End Swim Commissioner. Earlier Reptile piloted Karah Nazor (of Swim the Suck) the width of Tahoe from Cave Rock to Emerald Bay Viking Home an 11+ mile swim in 5hr 20

Here is the link to their spot tracker – http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0RBs6OKl0m8YpssGEJq3MhBvYzdWD1sKq

!Amy & Vanessa Legnth of Tahoe Photo 2

FrancojendutJustSwimNoelFigart

• MikeHMikeH Member

Congrats! I'm swimming across Tahoe in a couple weeks - what was the water temp, was it warm as last year?

edited July 2015

Mike....Water is pretty warm from 63f+ on the Cave Rock side to 67f at the house end of Emerald Bay side this is a 11+ mile route and and a route we shall be doing in the future...this was the width temp (across) they swam from Camp Richardson to Incline Village (length)...not sure of your route..but should be similar when you swim...

Sharko

!Vanessa & Amy at start of Lake Tahoe Swim...930 pm
    Amy in Morning

• MikeHMikeH Member

thanks sharko, 63 is pretty warm. i'm used to colder in other years, but this year I consciously let a bunch of weight fall off to see how low I could go and still do cold water. not sure 63 is really 'cold water' :), but I was curious what temp lake tahoe is as I've never been in that lake before - my swim on the 11th will be my first time.

BloodBank
  • BloodBankBloodBank Gypsy Member

Good luck MikeH! I'll be swimming the perimeter over the course of ~7 days starting Aug 8th -15th! Maybe I'll see you out there!

Living Life and Testing Limits

Craig Lenning and Karl Kingery of Colorado are headed to Tahoe today, with a planned Friday swim start. Both of these swims have potential to be exciting. :-)

lakespraySharkojendutsuziedods
  • Ahitchings95818Ahitchings95818 Sacramento, CAMember

Kudos to Stephanie Curtis, who swam the length on August 4th. Leaving from Camp Richardson, landing at Incline Village.
    10 hours, 36 minutes. A very fast crossing.

SharkoIronMike
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Is anyone keeping track of all these Tahoe swims? Like, in the sense of historical record-keeping?

• The Lake Tahoe Swimming Society had been keeping records of the swims but that seems to have petered out. I heard from a friend that Tom Linthicum was starting to track (although maybe I am speaking out of turn).

I also want to echo kudos to Stephanie Curtis who crossed on August 4th. I crewed for Stephanie and she was awesome. It was a great day out there, at least until the wind came up for the last 90 minutes. We used Captain Brad Bugica who has a boat outfitted with a GPS that kept us straight as straight can be. Brad's contact info is salmonstriper@att.net if anyone is interested in using him in the future.

• Goody Tyler of Utah finished a tough tough swim, about a week ago. Marta Bechoffer was due to enter the water Thurs ( yesterday at 6.30AM)... Mike Humphreys got blown out Tues night.. LTSS seems to have dropped the ball.. I believe Tom L ( aka Reptile) might have a good list of folks. I know Dean Moser, back in the '80's had a comprehensive list..albeit much shorter. I can ask him or Dave Kenyon if they have the historical data.

evmoChrisgreene
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

hoftyzerswim said:
    The Lake Tahoe Swimming Society had been keeping records of the swims but that seems to have petered out.

suziedods said:
    LTSS seems to have dropped the ball.. I believe Tom L ( aka Reptile) might have a good list of folks. I know Dean Moser, back in the '80's had a comprehensive list..albeit much shorter.

From what I recall (circa 2012), when LTSS was founded they took the list that had already been compiled over the years by Dean Moser and Ken Harmon. As far as I know, the list was not further updated, subsequent to being posted on LTSS website.