Vicki Keith on 80km of butterfly, and the rules

JenAJenA Charter Member
edited August 2015 in General Discussion

Vicki Keith wrote:

"I didn't keep track of my my training distances during that time, but the 12 months before I completed the butterfly summer of 1989 and the 12 months before I completed the 50 mile butterfly swim, I never swam a stroke of any thing but butterfly. My greatest fear was in a moment of exhaustion or confusion that I would take a stroke of freestyle thus nullifying the record. I took an extra precaution during my swims by treading water against my forward motion during feedings. I would rather swim extra distance than not complete the record completely. There weren't specific rules in regard to challenges like these back then, so I created the most stringent rules I could imagine to ensure I completed the goal as stated."

Vicki's attitude inspires me. Don't figure out how to skirt the rules to make your swim easier; write your own rules to make your swim fair and true. :-)

https://www.facebook.com/RevisitingTheGreatLakes25YearsLater/photos/a.600714856647039.1073741833.553727324679126/973108026074385/?type=1&theater

Tagged:
evmodavid_barraHelbemalinakaRob

Comments