Would a Kelp Nap be Channel Legal?

AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
edited June 2012 in General Discussion
Right now with various people attempting ridiculously long swims you kind of have to wonder how one manages to stay awake through the duration. I know ultra distance terrestrial athletes take mini naps in really really long events, unfortunately for swimmers that's liable to kill you... BUT... say you did a hypothetical ultradistance swim through an area with kelp patches in it, would it be legal to sea otter up and take a nap in the kelp? This assumes that you could maintain your body temperature and keep your face above the water without, you know, drowning. I'm not sure so many people out there could even physically accomplish this, but if they could would it be legal since they're still immersed and just tangled in naturally occurring ocean plants?
Tagged:

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    This is hilarious. Especially the tag you chose.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    I encountered a railroad tie floating down the Harlem River over the weekend - perhaps I could have sea otter'd up on that bad boy as well? :)

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• slowmoslowmo Member
    The coast guard would fly over with the radio traffic of...we have a floater. I'm thinking I don't want to wake up to a pole being hooked onto my suit as I'm dragged over to a boat.
  • WaterGirlWaterGirl Scottsdale, AZCharter Member
    I could absolutely sleep in saltwater. It would have to be warm water in bright sunlight, though. Until I read this thread, I assumed people actually did that. If I mention this in front of my husband, he gets very upset. Starts pacing around and saying no, no, no, that's a terrible idea. You would think I had suggested investing all our money in one of those Nigerian schemes.

The only worry would be drifting away--I guess the kelp would solve that. I think it should be legal to tether yourself to kelp or to a boat anchor so you can sleep safely (since your kayaker isn't allowed to touch you).
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    How would a tether, with an anchor designed to sink into the surface on the bottom, possibly be construed as a buoyancy device?
  • AquaRobAquaRob Humboldt Bay, CACharter Member
    edited June 2012
    I did a mini test yesterday while exploring some kelp beds... I think it's totally doable... I need a spotter though to try really relaxing into it, didn't want to freak anyone out by just dead man floating out there for too long!
    miklcct
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Anyone doing the La Jolla Rough Water Swim finds him/herself treading kelp for a good chunk of the distance. One could easily nap on those!