MIMS 2015 Questions

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited May 2015 in General Discussion
This discussion was created from comments split from: MIMS Application Questions.
Tagged:

Comments

• ttriventtriven Senior Member
    Does anyone remember if Morty mentioned a start time for MIMS 2015? I am trying to decide on a hotel to book, and if we need to be at the start at 5am, it will affect where I stay. I remember him saying between 5-7am, but I know past events took off at different times. If we know the tides for that day, we should know a general take off time, no? Why don't I check the website? (I did) Why don't I relisten to the webinar (I did and he said 5-7 I think but it was vague) Why don't I ask Morty you ask? I'm trying to prove that first time swimmers don't actually need to email him with "1,000 questions." But this does seem like something that could be on the home page for this year's swim, so 17 people don't ask the same question...
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member
    If anyone runs into an issue getting a crew for the MIMS 8/1 race I would be happy to crew, I'm local NYC.
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member
    I have been emailing with a very specific request about crew and kayaker on the swim that I have been accepted for and still no response. Given the cost and logistics for travel arrangements and crew to do this swim as an overseas swimmer a quick answer to the direct question would be very much appreciated. Call me cynical, but Morty was responsive to emails right up until the point he took full payment for the swim. To try and get crew to commit to an unknown swim date is unrealistic and mine are not now available. It has to be reasonable to have a facility to allocate crew once the swim date has been confirmed.

It is not unreasonable to expect a response to enquiries and queries, even if just an initial acknowledgement. It is rude to simply ignore emails, frustrating for the swimmer and potentially leads to a poor opinion of the organisation.
    evmosuziedodsloneswimmer
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited March 2015
    full disclosure, the context to @Helbe's comment is at the beginning of the following thread, which I subsequently split off, because it's about the MIMS Relays, a separate event for which payment has not occurred.

http://marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/1085/mims-relay-questions/

I hope NYC Swim will be answering questions about both the solo and relay events soon. If I had any info beyond this, I'd share it, but I don't. Apologies.
  • bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
    Just noticed that NYC Swim's Facebook page, which was once (AFAIK) the largest open water swimming specific page on FB, is now gone. Poof!

At some point people are going to start calling their credit card companies?
    suziedods

Has anybody had any contact with NYC Swim since end January?

No. It did not even occur to me that there might be a problem. I bought HALF my plane tickets. Holding off on other half for now. If anyone is in touch with them please let us know. My email to NYC swim was not returned.

According to the website schedule... Mims relay enrollments opened on 1 Feb and closed 15 March. No relay entries are showing on the list of swimmers.

The 2015 enrolment announcement states that solo date assignments should be complete by 15 March, but there are quite a number still pending. As far as I can recall, no changes have been made to the swimmer assignments in the last couple of months at least.

No other NYC swim dates have been announced.

With just 6 weeks to my MIMS swim and having already spent a shed load of money on flights and accommodation and the swim fees, I am seriously concerned that this event is in trouble. Still no replies to any emails. Where are the NYC Swim Team? Surely this whole thing is not run by just one man? Is Morty still on the planet? The 'prospective boat fee' is due to be taken from my credit card any time now we're in the 45 day period before the swim. Seriously seriously concerned.

Please can anyone provide any reassurance?

• ambrauambrau Anchorage, AKMember

I know there are a couple other threads about MIMS floating around, but none specific to the issue of the 2015 swims lacking in communication.

Does anybody have any updated information on if these swims will be happening? It seems nobody has heard from Morty (or anyone else involved with the organization) since the end of January. Some people have dates, some do not. People with dates have been charged all swim fees, but have not heard any information about logistics for the swim (start time, location, crew, meetings, etc).

Anyone have any recent news? At what point are people moving on and planning for alternative swims and reaching out to their CC companies about the charges?

Really bummed this is becoming an issue. Was so looking forward to this swim this summer.

Any insight is appreciated :) Thanks!

Helbe

@ambrau I see you are still waiting to have your application assessed. When did you submit? I have started a new thread for the MIMS Class of 2015.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Just a thought: They list their address as 42 W. 24th St in NYC. If anyone is in that area, maybe wander over and see if they are even listed at that address anymore. (It also says on the web page that it is not regularly staffed and by appointment only, but it's free to wander over and have a look-see.)

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• ambrauambrau Anchorage, AKMember

@Helbe I submitted well before the deadline and received confirmation from Morty that it was approved and he just needed 2 weeks to determine the date I would swim. That was the last I heard from him - at the end of January. Which also seems to be the last time anybody has heard from him...

I'll keep an eye on your new thread for any mentions of new information.

Helbe

So Helbe has a date in less than a month, and no charge for the boat yet? I would not be worried except that we were told that part of the cost of the swim, and the higher cost for first-timers, was for all the questions we ask that need to get answered. So something isn't right. One thing I thought of would be to contact some of the known boat captains, and see if they have been approached or hired for any dates? See if they have heard from anyone? Does anyone think that's a good idea and have any contact info?

evmoHelbe
  • I am trying to contact Morty, but it is not possible

edited May 2015

I know someone who has been in contact with Stephen Dipetro - apparently he is one of the boat captains and super close to Morty - but nothing has been heard from Morty. The boat fee was due to be paid 45 days before the swim. it is now 25 days before my swim date.

Forget the swim - at this stage I am very concerned about the man. A major stalwart in open water swimming goes missing for months and everyone (except the scheduled swimmers) seem pretty unconcerned and keep telling me that it'll be ok, there's no reason to believe it won't all come together in the last week. I'm told that Morty doesn't like public criticism which may be why little is being said publicly. But I am not criticising him at this stage. the man has gone MISSING. I'm seriously concerned for him.

gregocttrivenSpacemanspiffevmoloneswimmerKarenTjkormanikLeonard_Jansen
  • Could anybody ask in the NYC city hall if anybody speak with them to organise MIMS? I think that they have to give some permissions to organise it. Does the local goverment have any news about this year MIMS?

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member

_"Mum's On MIMS" _

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2015/05/mums-on-mims.html

Spoiler alert: It doesn't really say much or provide any additional information.

Helbe

I am starting to ask around. I've asked Urban swim where one gets a permit. I will report back. Please PM me if you have any ideas? I'm going to try to track down people who have done the email answering in the past. They all appear to use the nyswim website email for those correspondences so I am not sure they will get my emails that way. Can also try to track them down via Facebook. If you know any of them can you send me PM?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2015

According to Richard Clifford, who has spoken with MB, the swim(s) will happen as planned, and there will be a public update shortly.

rckayakHelbe
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited May 2015

Follow-up, with permission: he was diagnosed with a serious medical condition, but is now improving with treatment. I'm reluctant to post more specific details than that on a public website. I know the Forum community wishes him the best.

rckayaklakesprayHelbegregocLeonard_Jansen
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

Richard Clifford posted on fb today and I re-iterate, I am so sorry that Morty was so alone and ill and grateful to Richard for the information.

rckayak

Thank you for the update. Hoping for the best outcome for him.

rckayak

Thank you to the community for the news and I really do wish Morty a good recovery to full health. Much as I want to complete MIMS, is it really viable for Morty to be picking up the reins to organise a swim in three weeks time? His health must come first.

phodgeszoho
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Feel better, Morty!

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

"Yesterday, renowned MIMS kayaker Richard Clifford confirmed with race director Morty Berger that the 2015 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim events will go on as planned." - from the link above.

Helbe

Has he asked anyone for help? I am sure , with all the telecommuting possibilities these days , some of the website work can be done remotely? Do people need to be called back? There used to be a committee? Perhaps some of those people can assist?

I am hereby offering.( not the webstuff, I couldn't do that if you paid me ) but I am sure someone could)

• EricEric Member

gregoc said:
    dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2015/05/mims-is-on.html

phodgeszoho said:
    "Yesterday, renowned MIMS kayaker Richard Clifford confirmed with race director Morty Berger that the 2015 Manhattan Island Marathon Swim events will go on as planned." - from the link above.

Is there new information there? It looks like Steve is just reposting stuff from the Forum.

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

I was afraid it might be some sort of health issue. I am sorry to hear Morty has been experiencing a health challenge. I hope he is on the road to recovery.

jkormanik

@eric sorry if I added to the confusion. The quote I posted above was copied from Daily News Link. As it was just that one small paragraph seemed more helpful to duplicate here rather then link link to Daily News. I have no additional information and I am only following this because a friend of mine is signed up to swim it in June.

edited May 2015

Please can I ask the community if someone in the know can contact me with definite information about my MIMS swim in two weeks time. I am really sorry to hear of Morty's illness. However, with the passing of another week and no news or contact I am now two weeks from a major swim and do not know if the permissions, boat and support to be provided by NYCSwim are or will be in place. Lots of questions and no answers. The silence is deafening. Thanks.

• SydneDSydneD Senior Member

@Helbe -
    I have no MIMS connection or information whatsoever, but I feel compelled to say that I hope this all works out for you. It must feel quite maddening. Best of luck with both getting information and with the swim itself. :)

HelbeevmophodgeszohottrivenJustSwim
  • DukeDuke Member

Glad to hear the MIMS solo swims got a green light for this year.

Does anyone know the status of the MIMS relays for this year? Thanks!

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

I do not represent NYC Swim; however, I have reason to believe:

• If you have enrolled in (paid for) a MIMS solo, and you have received a specific swim date, then your swim will be occurring as planned.
    • If you have enrolled in (paid for) a MIMS solo, and you have not received a specific swim date, Morty will be circling back with you to confirm either a late-summer swim date or a rollover to 2016.
    • If you have not enrolled in (paid for) a MIMS solo or relay, you should not be expecting to swim this year.
  • DukeDuke Member

Hi Enmo! Our team leader said not payment was due for MIMS relay teams. Is this correct? Can you confirm? Thanks.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2015

As I wrote in the above post:

If you have not enrolled in (paid for) a MIMS solo or relay, you should not be expecting to swim this year.

As far as I know, no payments have been made for any MIMS relays this year.

• DukeDuke Member

Thanks for your reply. I understand you sent an email to Bob Cable(DC) that you spoke with Morty yesterday about the relays. There will be no 2015 MIMS relays this year. Can you confirm? I got 2 missed phone calls from Morty. (No voicemail) Maybe he wanted to let me the relays are not happening this year.

If this is the case, we're basically all set for 2016 MIMS relays. We just have to make sure a payment(Deposit) is paid for relay.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

I did speak to him, and it is my impression that the relays are not happening.

• KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member

Without any idea of the behind the scenes details - I have a real soft spot for Morty and what he has accomplished with MIMS over the years. There is tremendous pressure on organizers and in Morty's case he delivered one, if not THE, best open water swim experiences in the U.S. He rounded up a solid group of volunteers year after year that made MIMS a once in a lifetime experience for open water swimmers around the world. All the best Morty and all the best to this years MIMS swimmers.

evmoDeemagregocJustSwimlakesprayjendutCoppermilljcmalickHelbeLeadhyena

@KNicholas - I do hope this years MIMS events are that top open water experience you describe. I know it's reputation and appreciate the amount of effort that must go into the organisation of such a swim.

I am very much looking forward to my MIMS experience on 15 June. It's just a little concerning that my last communication from Morty was 5 January.

SydneDsuziedods

Word to the wise.. take a screen print of your application if it's been approved.
    Some ( not mine yet) have been erased.

ttriven
    edited June 2015

Finally finally received a communication from Morty. He came through - swim is on for Monday. Good luck to all those who follow and are still waiting for communication.

evmoslknightttrivenphodgeszohossthomasDeemajroyer
  • EricEric Member

suziedods said:
    Word to the wise.. take a screen print of your application if it's been approved.
    Some ( not mine yet) have been erased.

Unproductive fear-mongering.

@ Eric.. not if it has already happened. I am glad to hear that @Helbe received information and communication from MB. Unfortunately, I have heard of at least one person who was confirmed and then all their information was removed from NYC Swim site and the confirmation was retracted, stating that their was no information.
    Not at all encouraging.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2015

suziedods said:
    I have heard of at least one person who was confirmed and then all their information was removed from NYC Swim site and the confirmation was retracted, stating that their was no information.

If this person's swim was confirmed, then their credit card would have been charged. If the card wasn't charged, then the swim wasn't confirmed.

At least, that is my understanding.