MIMS Class of 2015

HelbeHelbe Senior Member

Hello! Is everyone looking forward to their swims around Manhattan Island?
If there are any New York based swimmers I would be keen to hook up. I'll be arriving into JFK on Friday 12 June, departing Wednesday 17 June. I may or may not have a 28 mile swim on 15 June.

phodgeszoho

Comments

• ttriventtriven Senior Member

Wow one month to go and so much seemingly up in the air. Or not. You are the first ones to go right? We will all be watching as we get closer. And hoping for the best.

Helbe
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member

Hoping to get to know some local NY swimmers to be able to organise some swims just in case the long swim doesn't happen.

• j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

I'm local but that weekend some of us will be participating in 8 Bridges - a wonderful event. and if anyone want to come join us for cocktails and/or dinner swimmers will be done around 4pm on saturday at La Marina - lounging along the river with a beautiful view of the GWB seems a perfect way to taper. If you want to swim in the open water then hook up with CIBBOWS - a subway ride from Manhattan, a great welcoming group of open water swimmers always willing to welcome travelers., visit their website for details. lastly something even this local may do in the days leading up to my swim is to take the circle line boat ride around the island - relax and see the course - its proper taper and yet still actually training. Please reach out with any questions - except about nycswim - i have no information.

Helbe
  • JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

Have you heard from Morty?

JustSwim said:
    Have you heard from Morty?

No, have you? Staying positive albeit anxious.

No, but my date is months away.

Good luck to the first solos, all coming from far away and not knowing what to expect. Due to swim Monday. We'll be cheering for you!

• JimBoucherJimBoucher Senior Member

Is there a list of those swimming and is there any tracking capability? Good luck to all!

Swim postponed to Tuesday due to heavy rain. Thanks @ttriven and @JimBoucher.

edited June 2015

JimBoucher said:
    Is there a list of those swimming and is there any tracking capability?

The list of swimmers is on NYCSwim website. I will have a tracker on the boat, not sure about the other two swimmers tomorrow.

JimBoucher
  • ZoeSadlerZoeSadler Charter Member

I'm delighted to see that @helbe is underway on her MIMS swim. I'm so pleased that it's actually happening for her.

Latest report from crew member Sam Jones is that the water is 19C and running at 4.5mph at the moment.

@helbe swam the English Channel in 2013 and Catalina Channel in 2014, so I have everything crossed for this one today. :)

slknightphodgeszohoKatieBungrappledunkDeemaJustSwimjendutttrivenssthomasevmo
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member

@ZoeSadler - any more news about Helen's progress? Do you have the tracker link? The one I have says there's no feed. K

Hi, the latest update that I saw said that she is almost at the Hudson River to begin the 14 mile swim back to the Battery. My Manhattan geography is poor but I'm taking this to mean that progress is good!

ssthomasKarenT

Thanks Zoe.

• KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member
    edited June 2015

KarenT said:
    @ZoeSadler - any more news about Helen's progress? Do you have the tracker link? The one I have says there's no feed. K

Karen, there is a tracker but our Helen forgot to pack it this morning. ;-)

Helbe
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2015
    This discussion was created from comments split from: MIMS 2015 Questions.

All home and hosed in just under 9:40 for Helbe, Kathy Batts three minutes ahead and Ivan 9:09. Well done all and hope you all had a memorable day.

david_barraZoeSadlerHelbejendutphodgeszohossthomasKNicholasKatieBun

Many congratulations to all three swimmers today, and particularly to Helen on her Triple Crown. Woohoo!

HelbephodgeszohossthomasKatieBun

Thanks to all the cheerers :)
    Awesome day out there although my crew complained about the Scottish weather we had!

pavlicovphodgeszohoJustSwimssthomasIronMikeXabierElizegiKNicholasNoelFigartdavid_barraKatieBun

Congratulations to the first graduates of 2015 - all 3 completed their swim around Manhattan - Katherine Batts, Helen Beveridge, and Ivan Rabell . And a special shout out to Helen who completed her Triple Crown. Well done by all!

ChrisgreeneNoelFigartKarenTjroyergregocphodgeszohoHelbeXabierElizegiSpacemanspiffdavid_barraKNicholasTheoLeadhyena

Rohan Moore and Bob Fernald start from East 96th street tomorrow (24 June). Rohan sets off at about 5.20am with Bob starting 20 minutes later. Rohan has already completed the English Channel and Catalina so is going for his triple crown.

Best of luck to both - swim well.

NoelFigartJustSwimdavid_barrajendutIronMikeKNicholasKatieBun
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member

Go Bob!!

Good luck guys!

Swimmers ahead of the plan, about 1+ hour to finish. Start/finish at Mill Rock in East River. Both going well and were assisted by flat conditions in the Hudson River. Go guys! Pics are pre start, sunrise and in East River on final leg. image

evmojroyerphodgeszohomysterybob

Whooohoooo.
    Rohan is a new triple crown holder having finished MIMS in 7hrs43mins50secs.
    Bob also completed in 7hrs 15.06.
    Fantastic swimming gents, congratulations on your success. x

JustSwimjroyerslknightNoelFigartKatieBunIronMikegregocKNicholasphodgeszohomysterybob

Results posted to the NYC Swim website. That was quick. :-) So were today's swims.

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Forgive what may be a stupid question, but if mims is 28 miles, how are the times only 7 hours +?

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member

IIRC, I think part of the swim has a bit of a current assist.

• EricEric Member

Almost all of it is current assisted.

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Thanks, wow that's quite a current! I never would have thought that swimming around an island would have that kind of current

• mysterybobmysterybob North Hampton, NHMember

Thank you everyone. Neik is right.....it is all about local knowledge of the waterway. Thank you Morty Berger for organizing, and being their to guide us into the best parts of the river(s). Thank you as well to my (most excellent) kayaker Margrethe! Rockstar is a word that comes to mind when I think of her.

And Congrats to Rohans More, who cranked out his triple crown!!!!

HelbegregocslknightJustSwimjcmalick

Congratulations to the first swimmers! Great to hear that all the swims are going well. I am looking forward to race day and have a question for anyone who might understand the tides. This year the race is set up to favor the faster swimmers. Being on the slow end of the group, I wanted to find out more about the windows at the crucial points. Most likely, only Morty can answer this question. But if anyone knows, for example, how long the slack might last at the top of the island, I can get a better idea of what my window is like. Maybe. And maybe I need to read some race reports. My concern is that on a fast tide I expect the slack to be a shorter window, giving me less time to make it around the top. Can I expect to be given cutoff times before the race starts?

There is a lot of info on tidal flows around the course. I remember doing for a lot for a friend a couple of years back when it turned out to be the first on record and boat assisted. I am sure if you are prepared to work through historic data and tidal flow stuff you can get what I think you are after. But its a lot of homework!

ttriven

@ttriven Morty will provide you with a personal breakdown of the time you will take to get to each section of the course Its very detailed and surprisingly accurate.

ttriven
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2015

Next up...

July 14, 2015

1 Biggs, Henry M 51 St. Louis, Missouri
    2 Serell, Janine F 53 New York, New York

July 30, 2015

1 Avery, Bryan M 47 Elgin, Scotland
    2 Marzulli, Anthony M 66 Indian Rocks Beach, Florida
    3 Dods, Suzie F 55 San Francisco, California

August 1, 2015

1 Bell, Thomas M 46 Wyomissing, Pennsylvania
    2 Dean, Nathaniel M 38 Michigan City, IN
    3 Elizegi Beloki, Xabier M 33 Lasarte-Oria
    4 Faure walker, Mark M 39 london
    5 Fernandez, Matthew M 39 NSW
    6 Galve, Victor M 41 Terrassa
    7 Johmann, Michael M 53 Louisville, Kentucky
    8 King, Lori F 39 Rockville Centre, New York
    9 Lomelin, Jaime M 52 Monterrey, NL Mexico
    10 Martinez, Vicente M 43 Alzira
    11 Marty, Markus M 32 Basel, Switzerland
    12 Nevitt, Rebecca F 48 Los Angeles, CA
    13 Royer, John M 32 Annapolis
    14 Rutford, Kristian M 55 Lincoln, Nebraska
    15 Shipp, William M 55 mitchellville, Maryland
    16 Spratt, Mark M 59 Davenport, Iowa
    17 Tanham, Peter M 56 Perth
    18 Walters, Michele F 40 Washington, District of Columbia

jroyerHelbe
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member

mysterybob said:

Thank you as well to my (most excellent) kayaker Margrethe! Rockstar is a word that comes to mind when I think of her.

And Congrats to Rohans More, who cranked out his triple crown!!!!

Congrats both.... and yes, Margrethe is awesome!

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

edited July 2015

Not forgetting the three successful MIMS swimmers of 30 June:
    Kevin Shinnick in 9.02.09
    Kenn Lichtenwalter in 9.27.07
    Arleen Gonzalez Perez in 9.39.47.

Congratulations to all three.
    That makes 8 out of 8 successful swims in June, including two new Triple Crowns. :)

Best of luck to all those still to swim.

david_barragregocjroyerevmoIronMike
  • Does anybody know at what time is the start on 1st August?

Nerves of last weeks...

One has to assume it will be an early morning start, around 7AM or earlier. The goal would be to get past the Staten Island Ferry before it starts up for the day. We won't know for sure the exact timing or meeting locations until we hear from Morty.

Helbe
  • DavidWDavidW Member

There are two solo swimmers in the water today: Janine Serell and Henry Biggs. They set out around 7:00 am. Janine's brother is on her boat and has been providing updates in Facebook. Last post I saw was around 1:15 and she just crossed into the Hudon. Best of luck to both, and to Janine in particular. She is a friend to many of us here and we are all cheering for her!

jroyerdavid_barraIronMikeHelbej9swim

So I went back and listened to the conference call, and... he is staggering the starts so tides should be a non issue. I was worried that if I got too far behind the leaders I would be up against a current I can't beat, but besides the staggered start, I can see enough of the tides to know that it doesn't go from 0 to 3 miles an hour in 40 minutes. It goes more like from -0.5 to 0.7 in 40 minutes.

To the rest of the class I hope y'all get as perfect a day as Henry and I had this week. The water was fast and flat, the skies gray with no wind, and NYCswim delivered a morning well organized, upbeat, and they executed flawlessly- boats on time, 1st rate paddlers, excellent observers, and it was nice to see MB smiling and happy. It was a perfect day for swimming around the island, it was a joy to swim. The only thing I would have changed would be more time in the Hudson. It was moving so fast it was hard to soak it all in.
    Thanks to all the forum members for answering questions, posting information and the overall generosity of spirit found in the tribe of open water swimmers!

gregocLeonard_JansenevmoJustSwimXabierElizeginabilradHelbedavid_barraLeadhyenasuziedods
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Looks like @suziedods just completed MIMS -- and with that, her Triple Crown. Well swum, Suzie!

JustSwimpavlicovslknightKarenTdavid_barraDeemalakesprayFrancoChickenOSeassthomasLeadhyenaIronMike

Congratulations to the most recent graduates of the MIMS 2015 Class - Bryan Avery, Suzie Dods, Anthony Marzuli - all 3 completed their swim around Manhattan - And a special shout out to Suzie who completed her Triple Crown. Well done by all!

jendutdavid_barrajroyerCoppermillSharkoJSwimLeadhyenasuziedods
  • CoppermillCoppermill TravellingMember

j9swim said:
    Congratulations to the most recent graduates of the MIMS 2015 Class - Bryan Avery, Suzie Dods, Anthony Marzuli - all 3 completed their swim around Manhattan - And a special shout out to Suzie who completed her Triple Crown. Well done by all!

Thank you, it was a great day to swim

Here are all the photos of the swim

https://www.flickr.com/photos/offonourown/sets/72157656076119539

suziedods
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber

It was a fab day, excellent conditions and I was so verrry verrry lucky to have Janine not only as my crew but my hostess. Monkey off my back and my arm is fine now...

HelbeSharkojendut
  • Can a swimmer apply for 2016 now? Anyone know?!! Cannot seem to get info from NYC SWim

A big congratulations to the final MIMS 2015 graduates! All 19 swimmers listed below completed their lap around Manhattan on a day that the Hudson River was tough with chop...these swimmers and the amazing paddlers that supported them really worked for their reward. What they accomplished on August 1st was amazing.

Matthew Fernandez, Jaime Lomelin, Elizegi Beloki Zabire, Peter Tanham, Mark Faure Walker, William Shipp, Lori King, Nate Dean, Michael Johmann, Kristian Rutford, John Royer, Rebecca Nevitt, Michele Walters, Victor Galve, Mark Spratt, Thomas Bell, Markus Marty, Vivente Martinez, and Simona Dwass

Also kudo's to NYC Swim and Morty Berger who batted 1000 this season supporting the 32 swimmers in their goal to make it around the island! And while there may have been a bit of drama here and there - in the end we all swam safe and made it back to the starting point – so thank you!

And lastly on a personal note from the slow girl in the slow lane a huge thank you to all the people who helped me on my journey from my first mile in the Hudson to my trip around Manhattan on 7/15. I had an amazing day – for those of you who were not there; there was no doubt about how happy I was during the entire 8:57:24 – I had the time of my life! XOXO

lakesprayjroyermalinakathelittlemerwookieswimrn62Helbeevmodavid_barraLeadhyenaLori_ksuziedodsJustSwim
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

Congrats @j9swim. I hope those twenty bridges had a good time watching you swim under them.

jroyerj9swimsuziedods

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• Hello! Does anyone know if there's going to be a MIMS Relay swim in 2016? Send text msg, left voicemail to Morty...but no response. Thanks! Duke