Anyone familiar with Open Water groups in the Atlanta,GA Area?

ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

I've been training in pools and would love to get some open water swims in on a regular basis;thanks.

Comments

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Chris,

Try C.O.W.S. (Chattanooga Open Water Swimmers) cowsswim.com/. It's not Atlanta, but pretty close. They probably have plenty of cross-over with the Atlanta community. Karah Nazor (RD for Swim the Suck) is on the board there. She's very active in the OW community and quite helpful/friendly. I'm sure she could hook you up. I PM'ed you with her email address.

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Thanks, I know Karen; I swam The Suck last year and I'm entered this year too; great event!

• mjstaplesmjstaples Atlanta, GA, USSenior Member

Hey Chris, what part of Atlanta are you? I have been looking for other swimmers in the lake Lanier area but have only found a couple. I am planning lake Tahoe this year so I'll be out there just about every Sunday morning. I would even be happy to kayak for you.

If you are closer to allatoona, I know there is a triathlete group that meets sat mornings at red top mtn (Dallas landing I think). They put out buoys and have kayaks on the water.

I'm in Suwanee so I'm close to Lanier; when/where do you swim there? I'm doing SCAR swim in a couple of weeks.

I'm currently swimming at van Pugh park south in flowery branch on Sunday mornings. There is a nice little cove-ish area. I try to get in around 8 so im done before the boaters come out. Water is at 61 now. I work in Lawrenceville so I also plan to hit Mary Alice park in Buford some afternoons as it get closer to my swim date

Thanks! I'm going to try to get there this Sunday, it may be my last chance before my next swim May 6-10th