Things to do with dead swim caps

My silicone 8 Bridges cap from 2012 finally ripped the other day after 3 years of loyal service. I've never seen anyone talking about doing anything with dead swim caps, so here are some things that I do with mine:
1) Frame it as a race memento with date, results, etc (this is what happened to the 8 Bridges cap). Dollar Tree sells OK-looking frames (they are NOT rugged, however) for $1.00 and I have a wall full of things like framed caps, newspaper articles, etc.
2) I do a lot of construction projects with wood - building horse stalls, various remodeling things that She Who Must Be Obeyed commands and building shelves for my huge book collection, among other things. One of the easiest ways to remove a Phillips head screw that is stripped is to cut a swim cap into 1 cm X 1 cm squares, put a square over the head of the screw, jam a Phillips head bit attached to a drill into the square and press it hard into screw head and then reverse it out. You can also use fairly wide rubber bands, but swim caps squares work just as well.
3) Cat toys. I cut it up so that it has long fringes off the back and then attach a string to the front and then drag it around for Dolby and Dustbunny to attack.
4) Gripper for jars. Use to get a better grip on jar lids that are stuck or when hands are wet.
4) One I haven't tried but want to: Fishing lures for bass. Something like this:
http://www.fishingtackleshops.co.za/images/bass-fishing-lures-soft-baits.jpg

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

evmogregocdpm50

Comments

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I love them for opening jars too.

I've used them for making grippy little shims and washers to keep things tight and quiet on my bike.

I think I'll try making some cat toys. Maybe that will deter my klepto-cat from stealing my hair ties and pens every time I set them down.

dpm50gregoc

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

Use them on a plate when you use it like a tea plate. I'll explain:

Many times I heat up soup or chilli or smthg in the microwave and it gets so damn hot I can barely hold it. So I'll put the bowl on a small plate. But the glass bowl and china plate and my shaking hands many times lead me to getting the mop to clean up a spill.

So, put a ripped swim cap on the plate and your bowl won't slip and slide all over the place!

dpm50

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Great suggestions! I wondered myself. I have enough oldies that sometimes I leave a cap or two in the locker room at my pool w a note saying FREE!

• tortugatortuga Senior Member

Poncho quilt

dpm50
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

Small piece glue-ups. Silicone caps are almost 100% impervious to glue of any type. Nothing sticks to them, Therefore, use dead caps when gluing up small projects to keep from accidentally gluing your project to something you don't want it glued to.

Kate_AlexanderevmoBridgetJaimiegregoc

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• LeslieLeslie TexasMember

Momento poster board....sitting in my garage.