Manhattan Island Marathon Swim 2014

evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
edited June 2014 in General Discussion
The first of three MIMS "groupings" swims this Saturday. A few forum members in the mix... good luck to all!

The main event page is here:
http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?event_id=2402&from=overview

Barel, Samir - Campinas, Brazil
Brynn, Charlotte - Stowe, Vermont
Burke, Christopher - St. Petersburg, Florida
Classen, Ken - Denver, Colorado
DeLozier, Anna - Sierra Vista, AZ
Gridley, Gordon - Syracuse, Utah
Hankins, Malena - Kennesaw , Georgia
Heim-Bowen, Suzanne - Walnut Creek, California
Hoftyzer, Ernie - Davis, California
McKern, Richard - Summit, New Jersey
Merida, Javier - Marbella, Spain
Salomone, Sergio - Buenos Aires
Smitherman, Mark - Clearwater, Florida
Spratt, Mark - Davenport, Iowa
Uprichard, David - New York, New York
Van der Byl, Grace - Solana Beach, California
Webb, Rowan - Sydney, Australia
Zemlin, Karen - Eden Prairie, Minnesota
Tagged:

Comments

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Go, Grace, go!

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    and @Gords, and @caburke, and @lakespray!
  • suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    And Suzanne Heim-Bowen , one of the first female members of the Dolphin Club of San Fran. See " The 50 Year Old Freshman"... a good friend and mentor to me.
  • bruckbruck San FranciscoMember
    No GPS tracking tomorrow according to NYC SWIM FB, unlike previous years. Bummer. Is the cost no longer feasible given the smaller field?
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    The email we received said no GPS this year because 'our vendor has discontinued this service'.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Some of the swimmer's will have SPOTs presumably. Here is Gracie's.

http://share.findmespot.com/shared/faces/viewspots.jsp?glId=0NW9BfrdeTEL1szsFamXLI0ZBQWYQG4pZ

Any others?
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Ron Collins is tracking the swimmers:

http://www.distancematters.com/

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Gracie now past the 79 st boat basin.... Could be sub 7 hrs

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    NEW YORK (AP) — Grace Van der Byl won the 31st annual Manhattan Island Marathon Swim on Saturday, completing the 28.5 mile counterclockwise course in 7 hours, 14 minutes, 3 seconds.

The 35-year-old Van der Byl, 35, is from Solana Beach, California.

The first male finisher was Samir Barei of Brazil in 7:17:59.

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

edited June 2014
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    NYC Swim is seeking volunteers (paddlers, boat observers, land support, etc.) for Day 2 of MIMS on Saturday, June 28. Here is the current list:

http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?event_id=2415&from=volunteers

If interested in helping out, please contact info at nycswim dot org, or enroll online using the link above.
  • Congratulations Grace!
    Also to all finishers.
    Tip of my hat to Mark as well.

It will be interesting to see how these times hold up against the next two waves. But as of right now, for ME, I'm fine with Grace Van der Bly calling herself the World Champion Marathon Swimmer for now.

(This is "late" because of posting issues at my coastal location)
  • lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    Congratulations Grace!
    Also to all finishers.
    Tip of my hat to Mark as well.

It will be interesting to see how these times hold up against the next two waves. But as of right now, for ME, I'm fine with Grace Van der Bly calling herself the World Champion Marathon Swimmer for now.
    Indeed congratulations Grace, that girl can swim! I'm curious though I haven't seen any quote that she called herself the World Champion of Marathon swimming?? Second, there are simply to many variables in this race to compare one days times to another day. Plus at least by resume and submitted times the second and third wave swimmers are technically slower swimmers so to see how times hold up is kinda a apples to oranges comparison.
  • Gvanderbyl wrote:
    Hey!!
    So I would like to pose a question/discussion for you.
    Kinda complicated but gonna try to get it out as clear as I can.
    So...there is as we (ows community) have established an "US" those who choose to swim under "Channel Rules" and "Them" those that don't. The "Them's" include (in my opinion) the DN's of the world, FINA open water swimmers, and even Olympic open water swimmers since all include elements/levels of support that are not part of "Channel Rules" type marathon swimming. Let me be clear that I have a HUGE respect for those that race FINA and Olympic swimmers, just stating obvious difference.
    That being said in the "US" category, there is no Olympics or point swimming for World Champ. MIMS has sort of been the way we have established that. The winner last year was bestowed that title as those who have won before him. It is so unique cause it is the one time in the "US" category that all things are equal and there is no way to claim better conditions, currents, line, etc because everyone is in the same situation. Also, with the world wide participation and difficultly to qualify, you know you will get a high quality field. Obviously the winner may not actually be the fastest Channel Rules Marathoner in the World but for that day, and for those that made the cut to get in, we as a community seem to have officially-unofficially given them that title. It is funny cause everyone will ask what your Catalina time is or what your EC time is but they ask what PLACE did you get at MIMS?
    With MIMS going the way of Catalina and the English Channel, what will take it's place for this distinction and is it important for our community to have a race to bestow such a distinction. Ederle? Stage 7 of 8 Bridges? Rottnest? Memphre?
    Just posing the thought/question.....

From "What Replaces MIMS"

And, yeah, I see that there is an Apples v. Oranges correlation. But, truth be told, that's what makes sports discussions. Everybody "knows" that Ali is "the greatest boxer of all time." but what if he had to box Mike Tyson? And what about Rocky Marciano? Controversy over something that was definitively decided is what (spectator) sports are all about.

So if someone from the third wave comes in with a sub 7, they'll be all like "Whoo Hoo! I did better than Grace! I'm the world champ!" And good for them for feeling so. For the rest of their life they'll be telling people about how they "won" the 2014 MIMS. Maybe it was the rain, or the position of the moon or the temperature of the water that gave them the umph to do it. (I'm impressed by the fact that they got to swim in the contest in the first place, which is why I tip my hat to Mark, even though he didn't finish. "It's an honor to be nominated.")

And I don't want to stir the pot on the World Champion thing. I'm saying that if she wants to call herself that, because she won, she's not going to get an argument from me.
    Everybody "knows" that Ali is "the greatest boxer of all time." but what if he had to box Mike Tyson?

Ali would destroy me, even in his present state. Plain and simple.

• bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    I guess if you claim to be the winner because you made it around in less time on a different day, or a world record if you catch the tides just right, then you can join Nyad in claiming that honor.

"She broke numerous world records, including the 45-year-old mark for circling Manhattan Island (7 hrs, 57 min) in 1975." - Wiki
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2014
    Some back of the envelope calculations:

Imagine an average-speed marathon swimmer who maintains a pace of, let's say, 2 minutes per 100m in open water (1.86 mph). This average-speed marathon swimmer manages to get around Manhattan Island in, let's say, 8.5 hours. That's 3.35 mph.

Which means the currents account for over 55% of this swimmer's progress around the island.

I occasionally hear people talk about "goal times" for MIMS, and it strikes me as a funny concept...

As if you can control the tides??
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Glad I did MIMS before it became the "World Championship". I'd have drowned in the BS
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    Look Look! Kris Rutford is rounding Manhattan again for the 16th or 17th time. Go Nebraska! :-)

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    I'll be on the water crewing for Cathy, and will be updating at:
    https://twitter.com/pointswim

Looks to be a nice day.
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    @evmo Looks like you'll continue having that gorgeous weather that 8 Bridges imported specially for the past two weeks.

Have a great time out there, and remember to tip your tye-dyed kayak porter.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    Wave 2, may the East River be swift, the Harlem be relatively smell free and the Hudson calm, best swimming to you all!

Oh and I'm glad I did it after it became a World Championship ;-)
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2014
    Glad I did MIMS before it became the "World Championship". I'd have drowned in the BS
    Niek wrote:
    I must live on a different world. It's not my World Championship.
    http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/851/what-replaces-mims/p1
    This idea needs to be put to bed. I'm pretty sure NYC Swim has never represented MIMS as the "world championship" of marathon swimming. I don't know why this came up in the other thread ("What Repaces MIMS"), but I'd never heard about this idea until then. I was on Paul Newsome's crew last year when he won, and I never heard anyone call him the "world champ of marathon swimming." Or Abby before that, or Erica before that.

Fact is, MIMS is the only swim in the Triple Crown (which itself is a debatable concept) that is actually a race. And MIMS has the broadest international participation of any amateur ultra-marathon swim. So that is something. And whatever that "something" is, some folks may feel it is somewhat diminished, now that everyone isn't competing on the same day. I think that was Gracie's point.

Now that I think of it, the only non-FINA swim that has promoted itself as the "world championship" of open water swimming is... the Kingdom Swim, when they switched their sanctioning from USMS to WOWSA. Whatever WOWSA is. (Niek protested then, too, so fair enough.)

Anyway, back to my crewing duties for tomorrow's non-world championship of marathon swimming. It's going to be awesome.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Do you think "Shark Bait" will heed your directions??!!?? Give her a hug from Sharko!!!

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

OK, I'm following Cathy, but I'm having a helluva time trying to find any trackers for all the swimmers, a la TBMS. Is there such an animal?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Results have been posted for Day 2:
    http://www.nycswim.org/Event/Event.aspx?event_id=2415&from=results

Slow currents but the water seemed clean and everyone got around. Kris Rutford completed his 20th (!!) lap around Manhattan. Fionnuala Walsh, John Walker, Joelle Beard, and Doug McConnell completed their Triple Crowns. A few others resolved unfinished business from last year. Well done to all.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited June 2014
    Ever wondered what a tideline looks like?

Here is Hell Gate on Saturday during MIMS Day 2. The ripples clearly show the convergence of the East River and the Harlem River. Cathy in the pink cap is in the midst of them as I shot this photo.

652WNVH8G2H6.jpg

According to my Garmin our progress went from 4mph before to 0-0.5 (negligible) immediately after passing those ripples.

Pretty fun to see that, albeit frustrating for Cathy and the other swimmers.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    MIMS 'Group 3', the final and smallest grouping for 2014, splashes this Saturday at 7:15am EDT.

- Capri Djatiasmoro (New York, USA)
    - Ricardo Grossman (Mexico)
    - Marilyn Korzekwa (Canada)
    - JC Malick @jcmalick (Delaware, USA)
    - Meenakshi Pahuja (India)
    - Ranie Pearce @ranie (California, USA)
    - Marco Sodi (UK)
    - Relay: Eileen Burke and Mo Siegel

So far through the first two groupings, 40 out of 41 solo swimmers have successfully made it around the island.
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    The event shirt for this year reads:

Swim
    NYC
    The Last Summer

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

malinaka wrote:
    The event shirt for this year reads:

Swim
    NYC
    The Last Summer

Wow.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    I see on Twitter that @jcmalick proposed to @swimchica623 right after JC finished MIMS. Congrats to both!

loneswimmer.com

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2014
    Day 3 Results

Triple Crown for @Ranie Pearce.

48 splashes. 47 finishes across the three groupings. Massive kudos to Morty, Hannah, Mia, and all the NYC Swim volunteers.

Oh, and this:

4D7YGWKHQ18R.jpg
    Mazel Tov, JC & @swimchica623!

-LBJ

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Thank you @Leonard_Jansen, @loneswimmer, @evmo, and all! It was a very long day with two very favorable outcomes!
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Only one outcome really mattered, right JC?
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Right you are @gregoc! Hopefully an amazing Boston Light next week and a 100% completion!
    Just wondering....

Is this the first engagement of MSF members since the board opened? If so, I believe there is something in the rules stating that the first child has to have the first three initials be "MSF" and then whatever the last name will be as the fourth initial. Unfortunately, that means no "Leonard" or "Lenore", which I know breaks everyone's heart, but the rules are the rules.

-LBJ

Just wondering....

Is this the first engagement of MSF members since the board opened? If so, I believe there is something in the rules stating that the first child has to have the first three initials be "MSF" and then whatever the last name will be as the fourth initial. Unfortunately, that means no "Leonard" or "Lenore", which I know breaks everyone's heart, but the rules are the rules.

-LBJ

But it definitely means Mike is an option!