Jammers vs. Briefs

2»

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Thanks @Mike_Gemelli, Swim outlet don't ship outside the USA. You have to get a proxy shipper which adds significant cost for low cost items. It's a pity because they have stuff not available over here for a reasonable price.

loneswimmer.com

• wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member
    I can attest to the fact that women's jammers, aka "kneeskins", (lycra/poly blend-not "tech" suits) are noticably faster than the traditional style women's suits. I got one from agonswim.com for $43 (grab bag) to try out last year at a swim meet. I had no idea I could swim that fast...like 2 seconds per 100 yds faster in a 1650. Compression definitely provides an advantage, squeezing my natural buoyancy into a smaller profile, therefore, reducing drag.

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

• Cole_GCole_G PhiladelphiaMember
    I would have to mimic Mike_Gemelli's sentiment. I made a similar transition over the years from baggy board shorts to jammers to briefs, and now that is the only kind of suit I wear. I would say that is a fairly standard trend I have observed in competitive swimming.

Part of the reason I stick to only briefs is due to bad experiences with other suits. I have done races in jammers before where the suit cut off my circulation at the knee and I came out of the swim with purple feet. I also have a lovely little scar on my rib cage from excessive chaffing of a neck to knee suit.

However in the end for me though it is all about how I feel in the water. I like to wear as little as possible (while adhering to standard rules/laws of public decency) because I feel I am more aware of my body position in the water. As I cover up any additional portions of my legs, torso, or arms I begin to feel disconnected with the water and my stroke feels strange.

Now while I will openly admit that I am a total beginner and have never faced swims with extreme cold, or jellyfish, or many of the hardships that many of you have faced in swims, I believe that swimming should be just about you and the water with as little technology in the way as possible. It is an idea I held onto when swimming competitively in HS and college, and one that I hope to hold onto as I continue to take on longer and harder swims.
  • marlinmarlin Member
    I like both (Jammers / Briefs).
    Depends on the water temp. and climate for racing, and whether I'm indoors or outdoors for training.

I'm more concerned with the textile now days: Durafast vs. Lycra etc.

Don't like square legs.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    In my experience, jammers have been a great help to me. Historically, my hip flexors give out and hurt like hell. I noticed that the support and compression given by the jammers helped out a lot with the pain and aches from that muscle group, so I made the full-time switch around 2000.

It's also easier to pee while swimming in a jammer.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited July 2014
    I can pee just find in a square-leg suit @swimmer25k

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    IronMike wrote:

Sorry, I forgot how special you are.
  • marlinmarlin Member
    @25k
    Those are good points re: Jammers.

The only time I switch to "racer" style is when it's around 90+ degrees.

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    IronMike wrote:

....if one could just get past all the typos.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Touche, @david_barra. ;)

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• marlinmarlin Member
    Today, after about 3.8k my Tyr Durafast jammers started stretching - the legs need to be hiked back up above the knee. Aside from that I like them, but this is the same problem I had with Tyr Lycra jammers and it's annoying when it happens in a race.