How Many Strokes?

ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
edited May 2012 in General Discussion
I thought it would be interesting for everyone to analyze how many strokes they typically take for a 5K, 10K or marathon swim! For example, during my Catalina Channel crossing, I took 37,740 strokes (9.25 hr x 60 min x 68 strokes/minute). I know Stephen Redmond analyzed that his amazing 22+ hour Molokai Channel crossing put him up around 80,000 strokes!

How many strokes have you put in?

...I can only imagine how many strokes Penny Palfrey will be taking across the Florida Straits!

www.darren-miller.com
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Comments

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    That's a lot of counting! Ha I counted my bilateral breaths the other day while swimming in an EP in San Antonio just to pass time!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    You could get the swimsense watch and let it count. Wait! No, watches!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Swimsense doesn't work in Open Water last I checked.
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    I always take as many strokes as I need to be able to finish the swim. Not one more. Not one less.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Others out there have used swimsense in OW. It'll keep counting your strokes, as I understand it.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    To pass the time while swimming, I often just start counting strokes. I only stop when I either forget the number or realize it's not motivating to count each individual stroke. :-) I've often wondered how many stokes I've taken in a year, but that's just too much math.
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    ssthomas wrote:
    To pass the time while swimming, I often just start counting strokes.

The last couple hours of that swim I did a couple weeks ago, I would try to alternate, 100 strokes free, 100 on my back. I'm sure that my count to 100 was a lot closer to 130 at times, though. Hard to keep count correctly when you're near delerium.
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    I think anyone who CAN actually count strokes while swimming is insane. Just sayin'.

:-)

loneswimmer.com

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    @ssthomas is pretty tough.. I heard she keeps track of every stroke she has ever taken! So crazzy....

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.