Foggy Vision after swim

tortugatortuga Senior Member
edited June 2014 in Beginner Questions
Recently after a session over 1hr, my vision stays cloudy for about 30 minutes. Anyone experience this? You think it's a goggle issue? Goggles are about 6 mos. old. I wear Aqua Sphere Kayennes and have been for about a year now. (also, I have no health issues like hypertension or DM but I am ageing - 51 yo)
Tagged:

Comments

• caburkecaburke Charter Member
    Do you use anti fog solution in your goggles? I had this same problem and it was very severe after using a new anti fog solution. Once I went back to the old brand of anti fog, the problem stopped.
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited June 2014
    It's probably your age (no offense, I'm 50. Aging vision is a downhill struggle), but @caburke 's suggestion is a good one. Someone just introduced me to an anti-fog product and I can't believe how well it works. I also use AS Kayennes. Ever tried Foggles? They are little towelettes. Put them in a plastic baggie and you can get several re-uses from one towelette.

- Amazon US | Amazon UK
  • tortugatortuga Senior Member
    edited June 2014
    I've always had good anti-goggle-fog luck with the good old "lick the lens" technique and I get the same effect in the pond as in the pool so it's not the chemicals. I have a new pair of AS Kayennes I'll try tomorrow. If that doesn't help, I'll try a different kind. I'm hoping it's the goggles irritating and not my poor old eyes. Any other oldsters having this issue?

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member
    I've found that when I 'm dehydrated a bit, my vision will get a bit fuzzy. Are you good about staying hydrated during and after?
    I used the new Kayennes today without the foggy problem. Maybe it was the goggles, maybe allergies, maybe age, maybe something else, maybe any combo of stuff? I just hope it was the goggles. Cheers all.
  • I had vision problems during one of my channel swims. I thought the goggles were fogging, but when I took them off it was my vision. decided it was the goggles pressing on a nerve around my eye. using different goggles solved the foggy vision for me.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @tortuga, have you had laser eye surgery?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I've had blurry vision and shortened sight after most of my swims in cold water. I blame a cold brain.
    IronMike wrote:
    @tortuga, have you had laser eye surgery?

Yes, about 15 years ago

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    My eyes are usually a little swollen from being squashed inside of a pair of goggles all day. My vision has typically been a little blurry and always bloodshot until the next day. I swim with contact lenses in, so that could be a factor.
    @tortuga, just wondering if maybe it could be something like the surgery. Pressure from the goggles. Long hours in water. Who knows.

I'm pretty sure it was the goggles. I've had a few 2+ hr swims after changing goggles and haven't had the problem. On the other hand, I came down with a virus so maybe it was that? I'll stick with the new goggles for now.
    Thanks goodness. Goggles much cheaper. I just remember the briefing I got before my PRK surgery about the early days of eye surgery where climbers would have problems after they'd gained some serious altitude. Something about the shape of the eye being affected but I can't remember that long ago (12 years).

I know you're not changing elevation/pressure, but it was just something your question reminded me of.