MIMS Pre Swim Announcement

jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
edited May 2012 in Event Announcements
What:
Informal meeting of open water swimmers and open water enthusiasts prior to MIMS!

Where:
Brighton Beach, Coney Island. Swimmers usually meet at 4th Street and there is an adjacent parking lot.

When:
Title Says it ALL!!! But seriously....Friday, June 22, 2012 at 9am

This is a last taper swim before swimming around Manhattan and a chance for swimmers, kayakers, open water enthusiasts, beach runners that like to run in banana hammocks, wannabe Russian cosmonauts, kids at heart that want to ride the Cyclone, Nathan Hot Dog Eaters, etc. Afterwards, we can all go up for a brew and some eggs Benedict on one of the boardwalk establishments. Reply to the post if you want to join in on the fun, else see you there...all welcome!

Tagged:

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Thanks JC. We've been doing this for a few years now... there will probably be some CIBBOWS swimmers there on Thursday also. Brighton 4th St. or check out www.cibbows.org for directions and public transport info.

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Took me five plus years to get that memo DB! Wasn't until this past November that I understood your guys haven when I did my 6 hour qualifier for England with Willy B!
  • bobswimsbobswims Santa Barbara CACharter Member
    Brews and Benedict the morning before a 28 mile marathon swim? You guys are as tough as nails.

I doubt I'll be doing 9 am on either Thursday of Friday, but if I want to take the subway out to CIBB for a swim, is there a place to lock up my stuff while I am in the water?
    Bob, you can lock your stuff in my truck if we are still hanging out but not sure of any lockers...the locals could tell you...one thing is true, no facilities like Dolphin or SERC yet!
    edited May 2012
    What I'd like to do is swim a couple of easy hours in the late afternoon on Thursday hoping I can find some choppy water. I just want to loosen up a bit and work on relaxing my stroke in rough water (if I can find any). Thursday & Friday mornings are for sleeping and getting my clock adjusted for EDT. I am staying close to the Battery.
  • caburkecaburke Charter Member
    beach runners that like to run in banana hammocks, wannabe Russian cosmonauts, kids at heart that want to ride the Cyclone, Nathan Hot Dog Eaters, etc.

You didn't mention 50 year old fat guys in your post but, I'll try to be there. I'm volunteering as a boat observer and will arrive Thursday.
    50 year old fat guys (including older and younger) are very much welcome! Hope to see you there!
  • KNicholasKNicholas ArizonaCharter Member
    I look forward to joining in on the swim and meeting more MIMS swimmers/crew/friends. I'll probably go on Thursday as well just to get a feel for the water.
  • vlrianvlrian Member
    I will try to join the group on Thursday and Friday. I look forward to meeting everyone.
    See you soon!
  • loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    The Irish will be there on Friday. I'll be collecting marathon swimmers autographs!

loneswimmer.com

• vlrianvlrian Member
    Are there kayaks to rent or some one willing to loan one. Also, anyone kmow the time of the formal meeting? Anyone want to join us on a Circle Line Cruise around Manhattan Island?

Herman (Victoria's hubbie)
    No Kayaking allowed during lifeguarded hours at NYC beaches.... shall we say 9AM

How long would the subway take from the financial district to BBCI? If the Irish are showing up I may just have to attend. My great grandmother came over in steerage as a 14 year old. Last name Carney. On the other hand if the Italians show up at a different time, I'd have to show up for that. My grandmother's maiden name is Pasta. :-)
    I'd give yourself an hour.

• JDYJDY Member
    Did many go this morning? I am thinking of showing up tomorrow. It sounds like it would be nice to loosen up.
    I know a bunch of us will be there tomorrow

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member

bobswims wrote:
    How long would the subway take from the financial district to BBCI? If the Irish are showing up I may just have to attend. My great grandmother came over in steerage as a 14 year old. Last name Carney. On the other hand if the Italians show up at a different time, I'd have to show up for that. My grandmother's maiden name is Pasta. :-)

What if the Australians show up?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    599022_3693977746675_615011119_n.jpg
    Great Pic...I must have been off searching for a Russian Beer at this point!
    Quite a few missing from that pic....

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Bump for 2013. Anything planned yet?
    Ill be there Friday morning around 8 AM
    Straight down from Brighton 4th street

• BillBill Member
    I'm in. Anyone swimming on Thursday AM as well I can get in on?
    Thursday at 9... you will find some CIBBOWS folks there

• firebahfirebah Charter Member
    Is the Friday swim at 0800 or 0900? I have seen both times.
  • JanetJanet New York, NYMember
    I'll be out at Brighton Thursday around 9:30, would love to meet up with anyone who is in town for MIMS.
  • BillBill Member
    Is it possible to swim anywhere along the racecourse in Manhattan? Don't want to travel too far tomorrow for a short swim... I'm staying near Times Square.

Any suggestions
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    @Bill Not legally, I'm pretty sure. There are others on this forum who could speak more authoritatively. I think BB/CI is your best bet for OWS. Personally I prefer pool swimming in the last part of a taper.

@david_barra @Janet, how do the CIBBOWS turn out in the event of rain?
    Generally speaking, CIBBOWS swim in all weather conditions. I may not get there if it is raining steadily as I will be launching my zodiac from Liberty State Park in NJ

• JanetJanet New York, NYMember
    This morning at Brighton we were asked by Parks Dept. staff to exit the water until the guards came on duty at 10. That's a rare occurance (first time for me), but it can happen. Guard hours are from 10-6 daily. Happy swimming to those going out tomorrow--water was clear and glorious today!
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    @Bill There is nowhere to swim in the rivers legally or safely nearby; ripping currents, fully-developed waterfront, and heavy traffic are the reasons I never once jumped in on my own. Take the 1 (red) up to 137&Bway and head to Riverbank Park. The pool is LCM from 6:30 to 8:45am...I don't know what happens after that. $3 gets you in the door.

@Janet, sounds like you made a good impression on the out-of-towners, introducing them to the wildlife.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.