One Sentence....What is Marathon Swimming?

JamieJamie Member
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Can you describe Marathon Swimming in one sentence? Do not read other posts before you post your sentence. Try not to be influences by others. The reason why I am posting this is because I was asked this question in an interview this morning. Try an make it a proper sentence. Hehe - Peace

Comments

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Marathon swimming is the apex of human exploration - surviving the adventure takes dedication, perseverance and the ability to be thrust unwaveringly into the unknown.

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    It's a person pressing for something that only they know about, but can't articulate, and which lies hidden beyond a horizon that only they can see.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    Swimming a long way in open water, without stopping, for fun.
    rlm
  • david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    Marathon Swimming is a coping method used to make those voices stop... for a few hours.
    rlm

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Marathon swimming involves covering very long distances in open-water so that you can eat burgers and fries and drink beer.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Didn't we already do this somewhere? Anyway, @suziedods beat me to the definition, although for me I'd add an adverb:

Swimming a long way in open water slowly, without stopping, for fun.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    IronMike wrote:
    Didn't we already do this somewhere?
    Sort of... but it was not restricted to one sentence.

http://www.marathonswimmers.org/forum/discussion/2/what-is-marathon-swimming

Here's the definition we use on the marathonswimmers.org homepage:

To swim a long way, and for a long time,
    in an open body of water,
    according to standardized rules and conduct.
    rlm
  • SuirThingSuirThing Carrick-on-Suir, IrelandMember
    swimming a long way in a long time

I tried to convince myself, but, orange flavour electrolyte, mixed with hot chocolate,
    tastes nothing like Terry's Chocolate Orange ....

• NatalieswimsNatalieswims Orange County, CAMember
    It's the same as a runner running a marathon, the only difference is we swim and get weirder remarks after accomplishing one.
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    Marathon swimming is a swim that never ends....

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    Any swim that requires more balls and heart than speed or talent.
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    A metaphor for life.

Keep moving forward.

• KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I think you'll find a lot of us manage to do it without balls.
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    KarenT wrote:

I quite like the spirit of @swimmer25k 's sentence, so does anyone have a handy gender neutral substitute for "balls"? "Moxie" matches some aspects but it seems a bit weak to me. Though in this context "courage" or "bravado" might work acceptably.

Also Betty White:

cartoon-Betty-White-on-Balls-jpg.jpg

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    KarenT wrote:

Metaphorically speaking.
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I meant it both literally and metaphorically, since I would never think about my body in those terms.

But I take the spirit of the sentence. @dc_in_sf - how about "audaciousness" or "boldness" as alternatives?

Being Jewish, I'd suggest Yiddish terms. You might use "chutzpah". However, although there is an intersection of the two words' meanings, it doesn't quite cover the same territory as the original word. "Kishka" means "guts" or "intestines, both in a literal and figurative sense. "mut" (pronounced "moot") is courage. I think the literal translation of "balls", which would draw the same objection, is "beytse."

-LBJ

• bcobbbcobb Member
    It's a welcome respite from years of flip turns, black lines and pace clocks!
  • Marathon swimming is a vision quest in the church of the aquatic.
  • Mayanblue75Mayanblue75 Fremont NebraskaMember
    Marathon swimming is my place to bring peace to my heart, to mind and heal my soul.
  • "Marathon swimming is going as far as you can, until everything is hurting and your arms are falling off and you scream for everything to just stop already--then swimming one more mile."

"Marathon swimming: for people who really want to eat what they want and still lose weight!"

"Caution: in open water, objects are further than they appear." (That last one doesn't really count.)

yeah...this is what I do while I'm swimming. :D
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    Ok, it's a little bit divergent from other posts here, and it's 2 sentences, not one, but I'm so excited, I just had to post this:

Marathon swimming is the joy of gathering the afternoon's post to find a small packet has traveled all the way from Ireland with a special type of jelly Dino candy tucked inside just for you. It's from a fellow swimmer you've not had the pleasure of meeting in person yet but have struck up an online friendship with, and that's one of the greatest parts of this whacky, solitary sport-- the amazing people.

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Marathon Swimming is dreaming past the water's horizon and envisioning bridging the gap to the unknown (other shore).
    The only insane asylum run by the inmates.
    rlm

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited March 2014
    emkhowley wrote:
    Marathon swimming is the joy of gathering the afternoon's post to find a small packet has traveled all the way from Ireland with a special type of jelly Dino candy tucked inside just for you. It's from a fellow swimmer you've not had the pleasure of meeting in person yet but have struck up an online friendship with, and that's one of the greatest parts of this whacky, solitary sport-- the amazing people
    Me tooooo!!!