How long do you let yourself acclimate to time change before racing?

SydneDSydneD Senior Member
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
Wondering about those of you who have traveled internationally for swims and how long you advise being there before the swim to adjust to the time change.
Going to Switzerland in August and want to be there early enough for adjusting before a possible 8-hour swim, but not so long that I am feeling out of touch with the water.
How do you all handle this? I am desperate to buy our tickets and can't pull the trigger!

Comments

• david_barradavid_barra NYCharter Member
    The nice thing about Lake Zurich is that you can pretty much swim anywhere anytime... so get there a few days early and enjoy the lake swimming. A friend took me to swim in a river that feeds the lake.... or maybe it was outflow from the lake... I can’t remember, but it was like an endless pool. Good fun!

...anything worth doing is worth overdoing.

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    @sydned - Are you concerned about acclimating to colder water? I wouldn't be concerned about the time change, as that usually feels like a bad night sleep for me. Acclimating to colder temperatures would be the main concern. If not, then I would recommend at least 3 days in advance. Typically, I have to acclimate, so I give myself at least a week in advance of the proposed swim date. Always nice to mentally be in touch with the conditions a few days prior to any swim! PULL THAT TRIGGER!!

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.