Happy V Day and a totally off topic discussion...CuPeed!

jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
edited March 2014 in General Discussion
So totally off topic for Valentines Day but the open water season is hopefully right around the corner for us buried in snow! One thing I want to learn for efficiency sake, is how to pee while swimming. I know there are many tips such as pretend you're farting or picture niagra falls, but truth is, none of that has worked yet and I don't want to release the "brown trout" in the process of trying to do the first one. Any tips and suggestions would be greatly appreciated as I have finally figured out relatively fast feeds but those get weighted down when I have to be "European" like Tina Neil said on my Catalina Swim!

BTW Happy Valentines Day to all the Marathon Swimmer Forum Community and my brothers and sisters in Open Water Ville!

dyn003_original_640_427_pjpeg_2543688_399d7651380bb0533a79c6fcaad79d57.jpg
Tagged:

Comments

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Have you tried not kicking for a brief period to allow the muscles to relax?

My middle name is Valentine.

loneswimmer.com

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    It is all about relaxing there JC - only way you're going to get it done!
    Off the start, it usually takes me an hour or two to loosen up and feel comfortable just being back in the ocean, which is right around the time I'm able to begin going on the fly. Just relax when you train and get comfortable so it becomes second nature when you are out in the middle of the deep. Personally, I picture the waterfall.
    A side joke: When I was filling out my Catalina registration, I had to ask @david_barra what 'voiding' was, as I honestly had no clue early on in my career. He got quite a chuckle to say the least-

www.darren-miller.com
    Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

• That's not pee, it's warming fluid. Stop kicking and let it go.
  • ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Have a couple of kids and it'll come easily
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    @chickenosea, unless biological technology changes luckily I will not have that problem!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Relaxing the legs is the only thing that works for me. That, and starting when I stop to feed. Oh, and drinking so much I'm about to explode. That works too.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• I was so excited when I figured that peeing on my hands in the water warmed them nicely!!!
    I drink extra so I have more "warming fluid". For real. :)
    @swimchica623...easier for the female open water swimmers in cold water where there is no shrinkage! After an ice swim, I think it takes me a good 20-30 minutes to pee freely! :ar!
    I'm hoping I don't have to go number 2...just number 1...I'm sure as I get closer to the 24 hour club, I will get closer to 2.
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    It turns out not to be nearly as bad or challenging as it might seem. In Tampa, I just asked my kayaker to turn around, slid off my bikini bottom to my knees, rolled myself like a ball and went the same way I would on land. Then (which turns out to be key!) I swam away from The Evidence as fast as I could. :)

It was pretty essential that I go, because I knew I'd need to go about three hours into the swim. My body is used to going in the morning, PST, and I started the swim early in the morning, EST. After The Deed was done, I was a lot calmer for the rest of the day in the water.

Things were a bit different in the lake, because I was very jetlagged and there was a ten-hour difference that I deliberately didn't seek to correct. I managed to go at 3am, two hours before the swim, which was a big relief.

Taking care of your plumbing is really important. It's just another one of those things that light our sport with an aura of glamour. :)
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    @foreverswim: You did better than I did- I didn't figure out what 'voiding' was until Paula Selby was on the boat asking if I could. Doh. Good thing Craig had lectured me at length on the importance of peeing.

I know it's easier for girls than guys, but I had a hard time learning to relax my lower half enough. Using a pull bouy helped at first.... Still can't pee while swimming in a pool- flip turns come too fast- but no issues otherwise.
  • timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    @heart - During my first 25k, with my now wife paddling for me, I had to do the same. I asked her to give me some room, pulled down my suit, and did what I had to do. Fortunately, the wind kept the evidence away from her.

And, we still got married.