San Francisco 24 Hour Relay - Feb 2014

suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
edited December 2016 in Event Announcements
Mark your calendars-- Feb 8/9 2014 in Aquatic Park , San Francisco. Based on the relays discussed in "Wind Waves and Sunburn".. there will be a course set up in AP. Water temp should be about 50F. There will be a small entry fee( $25 a person) to cover food and safety boats. Naps and couches available in the 'day room".Bring your sleeping bag and ear plugs.. think 'sleep over camp'

This is purely for fun. It's mostly sorted in my head but we will need some volunteers for tracking and cooking and piloting. Teams of 4 or more are advised. More details to come but if you are in the area or planning a vacation in SF...

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Can't wait!!!!
  • This by the way IS open to the public. As I sort things out... more information about how to register etc will be available.
    We actually have about 10 people already interested!
    This is gonna be fun. (?)
  • NatalieswimsNatalieswims Orange County, CAMember
    Suzie, do you have a relay participant max? Should I post down here on our OC swim forum? Thanks Natalie
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    Coincidentally, I was planning a trip to SF for a 24 hr relay swim that exact same weekend!

Does anyone want to do a side-relay of making and eating breakfast meats? I could probably do a 24-hr sausage egg & cheese.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited November 2013
    @evmo, exactly! I think.
    @NatalieSwims.. go ahead! Thanks.
    Registration will most likely be by old fashioned email... and payment by old fashioned check. :-* . I am going to close registration Jan 31 2014.
    Thanks so much for your interest.
    Not for me, but are wetsuits allowed?
  • In the spirit of inclusiveness, we are allowing ONE wetsuit per team.
    No, not to share but one wetsuited PERSON per team.
    So.. I guess technically it's not a true marathon swim.
    Just looking to see how much fun we can have and to encourage as many people as possible.
  • TheoTheo Oxnard, CAMember
    I am sensing that there may be a need for a Ventura Masters incursion to AP for this relay.

Any time limit per leg of the relay?
    edited January 2014
    Theo wrote:
    Any time limit per leg of the relay?
    Not if I'm swimming it!
  • @Theo... no... no time limit...BUT.. you MUST complete the leg that you start.

• SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    This sounds a little like a swimming slumber party....with a 50f twist....do you think these poor swimmers/sleepers can handle this Suzie??!!?? on the dreaded February 9th...

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

• El Sharko... BINGO....!
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    Awesome! Me too me too me too!
    I am so in! I think some people from Oak street are in too. I can't wait ;)
  • emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    Oh wow! I really want to do this! I always thought La Tuque sounded like great fun. (Jim Doty once told me a rambling story about getting out at the wrong side of the lake and being chased by the cops and then rendezvousing with his wife in the station wagon to make a clean getaway. What a character he was.)
    @suziedods Do you have any provision for matching up wayward East Coast swimmers who might arrive without a team with other swimmers who might be cruising solo? Maybe I can convince @gregoc and @kotjmf to join me in a cross-country swimming road trip? Any other Nahant Knuckleheads on the forum want to join in and make a team?

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• Elaine! yes...I am going to see if I can get a discount on a few rooms at the Argonaut..and am adding a pre swim meeting Friday night to organize teams, go over details.. etc etc... Oh and I can return your suit.... :)
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    I have to check with loved ones first, but I really want to make the trip.
  • ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    There are at least two of us Coloradans who are very seriously considering. We're trying to talk a few more of us into it, but we might need to be paired up with others.

I asked "permission" from the husband last night. He gave his blessing, but I may have neglected to tell him it might be a little chilly. :-)

This sounds like a lot of fun!
  • @ssthomas.. YAY!!
    I am most likely also going to have a mandatory meeting the night before.. gosh .. it happens to coincide with Happy Hour, how odd is that?... to go over details, sign waivers, match up people for teams, etc etc.
    AND ... am working on getting a discount at the Argonaut Hotel which is right across the street....
    Stay tuned!
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    Did you say 50 degrees? The water? Oy...

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• Mike_GemelliMike_Gemelli Rutherford, NJMember
    I would love to join you all, but I don't think my schedule will allow me. In researching airfares, I did come across some really reasonable airfares to SFO...
    http://www.virginamerica.com/vx/booking/twenty-for-twenty?cid=EM_elevate8914_mainCTA&rmid=20131122_twenty_for_twenty&rrid=28402786

Have Fun!
    edited November 2013
    I am thinking that logistically a 6 person team would work better than a four..remember a lap is about a mile...would give a 2.5 to 3 hours of hours for each team swimmer to warm up (30 -40 minutes) and get some rest (an hour+) and then wake back up (30 minutes) ready to get back in the 50f water....

• Sharko, a lap is about .75 of a mile. Flag, goalpost, opening , beach.
    I am making it a short one due to the temperature. Most people , with a leeetle bit of conditioning can swim that far in 50 degree water.
    Yes, 6 would be easier.... do you really want it to be easier? :)
  • JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    Most people , with a leeetle bit of conditioning can swim that far in 50 degree water.
    Define "most people."
    Ha! Will be cheering you folks on from the comfort of my Laz-E-Boy in front of a warm fire.
    edited November 2013
    It shouldn't be too easy...just thinking about the night time people...I am sure we can fill up the teams with South Enders and maybe even Dolphins???...3/4 of a mile vs 1 mile makes a big difference so we are talking about a Pedro Cove...got it!!!...we really don't want any whiners, snvilers on this swim anyway!!!..I need the chanllenge with my swim schedule next year anyway...

• @Sharko, it's bigger than SERC or DC.... We have Seattle, Boston, SoCal and Colorado in so far.
    Ya gotta think big....
    Glad you'll be with us
  • rosemarymintrosemarymint Charleston, SCCharter Member
    Oh how I wish I could do this, but I'm too broke (and I'm already heading to SoCal in March.) If you guys do this next year, I'm so in.

Maybe @jbirrd would be up to joining me over in the Atlantic provided the water is not below 40, unless she wants to do an ice swim. :)
  • Don't know if you're keeping a list, but, if so, add me to it. Sounds like a blast!!
  • malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member
    @SuzieDods Have you set a maximum number of swimmers/teams? Sounds like this is quite a popular idea.

@rosemarymint Maybe you can set up a Skype team? I'll bring my laptop so you can Skype yourself into the sauna to warm up after you swim.

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

• suziedodssuziedods Mem​ber
    edited November 2013
    I am setting a limit now of 75.
    Deadline to register( ie send me a check:)) is Jan 20. That will give me time to match up teamless people and sort out food ( VERY IMPORTANT). Questions? Please pm me or email me. Many thanks for the support and positive response.
    @malinika? Skypeing in sauna???That's soooo Dolphin Club:)
  • Suzie - what's the timing...Midnight to midnight? Dawn to dawn? ie which 24 hours are we talking about here?
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Suzie says 9am Saturday to 9am Sunday. Are you going Mo? We need to organize an East coast relay.
  • There will be a meeting Fri Feb 7 at 7 pm at SERC happy hour to go over details, sign waivers, match up those that have not already been matched up.
    This will allow up to start promptly at 9 am Sat Feb 8... and swim through 9 am Sun Feb 9. Afterwards... breakfast!!
    Registration... the princely sum of $25 ( check payable to me) must be received by Jan 20.
    A full accounting of funds will be made available and anything left over will be donated to the SERC building fund.
    A minimum of 4 people per team , for fun and safety's sake. Maximum of 12.
    Limiting the total number of participants to 75 ( I know I said 50 but what's 25 more?)
    An "aide de camp" is HIGHLY encouraged.
    We will have at least one kayaker/zodiac on the water at all times.
    There will be food, drinks available 24/7.
    The handball court will be available for napping and we can provide some blankets but sleeping bags and ear plugs strongly encourage.
    NO official swimmers under 18. Sorry. ONE wetsuited person per team, in the spirit of inclusiveness.
    If you are coming from out of town and need a place to crash Friday night, email me and I will see what I can do.
    NO JOY on the Argonaut discount :(. , but working on other ideas.
    Best place to contact me is here or my personal email as well.
    Phew... does that help?
    Very exciting for me to see so many nutters interested!
    @suziedods, if you do another one of these in a warmer month when the water's a bit warmer (if it ever gets higher than low 50's?!), then count me in!

• @IronMike... will do! It get's around 56 Mother's Day and it hits 60 or so around August. Our high recently has been 64 (!!) beginning of September.
    I am sure there is a site someplace ( NOAA?) that you can see the fluctuations.
    I am sure there will be feedback after the Feb "do"!
    IronMike wrote:
    @suziedods, if you do another one of these in a warmer month when the water's a bit warmer (if it ever gets higher than low 50's?!), then count me in!
    Mike! Low 50's is more doable than you might think, especially fora short swim like this! Exhilarating. And there's a sauna!

I think anyone can swim 20-30 minutes in 50f...we have skinny people swimming from Alcatraz (40-60 minute swim) on New years day....a little acclimation beforehand is helpful....

• @Niek, we are ( well I am) allowing one wetsuit person per team , in the spirit of inclusiveness.
    Especially for those coming from out of town or those daunted by the THOUGHT of the cold, it's a nice safety blanket.
    Hopefully by the end of the 24 hours.. they will have gained enough confidence to do one lap with out a wetsuit.
    Besides, if you are in a wetsuit, your teammates are going to make you swim more.
    It's your choice :)
    @suziedods, @Niek is joking. He knows my feelings about wetsuits. ;)

I've tried water in low 50's and don't like it, @ChickenOSea, no thanks.

• COUP! Jackie Cobell looks like she's going to squeeze us in between ChillSwim and Estonia.
    We are going global!
  • Just trying to juggle btwn FB and here. We have someone Shawn Turner designing the caps, there will NOT be t-shirts... sorry too much trouble.
    If you have your own "blinky lights" please bring those trying to buy as little as possible and make this as "green" as possible.
    I have the first check so at least ONE person will be there :).
    Do "inbox' or email me if you have questions. There is a possibility that I am going to get a block of rooms at the Holiday Inn so let me know if that will help you.
    If you are desperate, I am sure we can farm you out to someone on Friday Feb 7.
  • We have our first official participant!!
    Thank you Iana P of Berkeley CA.
  • Sounds like an awesome event coming our way, thanks Suzie :)
  • I have procured a block of 5 rooms at the closest Holiday Inn for a great rate ( for San Fran) of $135. I need to know if you are in or not by Dec 24. I realize that we will be swimming Sat night but some folks might want to catch a few winks during the day ...
  • We have our FIRST TEAM! * Chicken o the Sea is being matched up w Sarah M , Denise L, Ilana P, Jesse C all of SF and Jaime M of NY.

Cannot wait to read/hear about this event!

• lakespraylakespray Senior Member
    edited December 2013
    Colorado Represents Open Water Swimming (CROWS) Sarah T, Craig L, Ed H, Hendrick M and I are committed and were still recruiting. http://gocrows.org/
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    I may or may not swim depending on how much winter swimming I get in, but I will offer up my spare room/office (with inflatable queen mattress) to visiting swimmer(s). Couch also possible. I am a 20 minute walk from Aquatic Park.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber
    Hey, @suziedods: Would there be any extra fees for the Dolfins or whatever club it is over there? Someone was asking me. A Colorado team is pulling together!