SCAR SWIM 2015 - Arizona, U.S.A.

2»

Comments

• JustSwimJustSwim Senior Member

My shoulders are hurting a bit but when are they not hurting? I am rebuilding my yardage gradually and I am definitely not fully recovered. I have 2 weeks until my next race so I better be recovered by then. :D

• SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

Feel great! The week after, muscles and joints were surprisingly fine. I just felt sleepy. Not a lack-of-energy/motivation-type tired, just a sleepy-type tired. Felt so good, I decided to head to my regular master's workout on Thursday. Big mistake. Unlike @Chrisgreene, it was painful! Lats, triceps, wrists, hands, forearms hurt like hell. Hung on the wall a couple of times during sets. And even though it was a pretty average workout, I was exhausted all afternoon. Nodded off at my desk several times. Stayed away from the pool until the following Monday and felt fine. Been back everyday since. Business as usual.

molly1205

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• TMcQueenTMcQueen Belton, TXMember

I've been swimming as much as possible getting ready for Swim the Kingdom in August! It's hard to get enough swimming out here in the middle of the Mojave Desert - swimming pools are few and far between with limited lap swimming hours, so I live with swimmer's itch from the small man-made lake by my house that I swim in when I have no other options. Other than the itchy bumps, I feel great!

• JanetJanet New York, NYMember
    edited May 2015

I was lucky and bounced back quickly from the swims this year--I swam easy for a few days, and slept more than usual, but then was back to my regular swim routine (masters + open water) by the weekend. But every swim is different--i recall that after my 2012 Saguaro and Canyon I felt fatigued--both in my arms, and generally--for well over a month, and that was without the long swim in Apache. Bodies always seem to have their own timetable for recovery, don't they?

I did have one odd post-SCAR symptom--some slight but definitely noticeable swelling in my wrists and ankles that seemed to be fluid retention rather than joint injury. It made wearing my watch and ring uncomfortable. I'm not sure what that was about--it subsided gradually and was gone after a few days.

• Cole_GCole_G PhiladelphiaMember

Janet said:
    i recall that after my 2012 Saguaro and Canyon I felt fatigued--both in my arms, and generally--for well over a month

I think I am feeling that same thing I think. My soreness went away after a just a couple days of rest, but my whole body still feels very fatigued. The weirdest thing is I don't really notice it normally during the day, but when I get in the water and start swimming, it hits me after a couple hundred yards. I am not entirely how to describe it, my muscles just feel tired and heavy (much in the same way they do at the end of a long swim). Because of that I have only been in the water a couple of times since SCAR.

I'm going to try and start building my yardage back up over the back half of this week, and hopefully be back to a normal-ish schedule for next week.

• ChrisgreeneChrisgreene Mercersburg PA/Atlanta, GAMember

Fortunately I was lucky to recover quickly too! For business, I had to travel to Salt Lake City on that Monday morning, after a 6 am swim, flight from Phoenix to Salt Lake City for a dinner. The next morning, up at 4 for a swim, then a 7:30 flight via Detroit to Hartford CT. Next morning, a swim , meeting in Hartford, meeting in Westport CT, drive to Newark, NJ. Morning swim, meeting, drive to Baltimore. Morning swim, meeting, pick up my wife and daughter at the airport, drive 3 hours to Bucknell for my son's weekend graduation. Three hour swim at the Bucknell pool (my favorite indoor 50 meter )Two days there, drive 3 hours back to Baltimore Airport, drop off my wife and daughter. Pick up a rental big SUV, drive 3 hours back to Bucknell. Pack and load my son's stuff down 3 flights of stairs that night. The next morning, 4 hours more packing and 3 floor loading. Then a 12 hour drive to Atlanta, unload the SUV to basement, (by myself - my son was at his girlfriend's Greenwich home) Quickly then dropped off the rental to the ATL airport -50 miles from my home- drove my car home. The next morning, I had to drive back to the airport (after a relaxed 4 mile pool swim) to fly to Fort Lauderdale. The blessing there was the opportunity to get in an 8 mile LC swim! Meetings, then back home for the long Memorial day weekend. I miss SCAR.

Spacemanspiff
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member

You are a machine @chrisgreene

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• pattydhpattydh Member

KNicholas said:
    Thinking of requiring swimmers to handle 100% responsibility of recruiting their paddler for SCAR 2016. There were some great pairings including the match for @spacemanspiff and @cynswims but in other instances the pairings are random and therefore can be unreliable. If the swimmer recruits their own crew - my thinking is that the crew is more committed to the swim. Thoughts?

Re: discussion about bring your own kayaker ... I always bring my own unless he is unavailable, but it does add to the cost of the trip. But with that said, I know from experience how difficult it can be ... I had to bag Rottnest for that very reason. I worked every contact I had to score a boat and kayaker and could not get it done by the deadline. I also once went the route of looking up a local Kayaker club in Pensacola, FL to get the lead on a paddler for a race there ... BIG mistake to take potluck on a kayaker that way. And last thought on this ... one source of kayakers that DID work out was young guys working on their Eagle Scout status and needing volunteer hours that kind of jive with their interests ... go online and look up BSA in the city of the event and troll around till you find the links for Eagle Scouts and volunteer service. I can't even imagine the amount of resources it must take for @KNicholas to recruit the incredible roster of volunteers he gets. I think it would be in the best interest of the event itself to take the onus of individual support crew off the organizer. There will be some paddlers that will sign up just because it's an awesome 4 days, but save them for the international swimmers or on a first come first serve basis.

Leonard_JansenSpacemanspiff
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member

pattydh said:

one source of kayakers that DID work out was young guys working on their Eagle Scout status and needing volunteer hours that kind of jive with their interests ... go online and look up BSA in the city of the event and troll around till you find the links for Eagle Scouts and volunteer service.

This has to be one of the best ideas I've seen in a long time. Huge props @pattydh!

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde