Best Goggles for Open Water Swimming and Triathlon

Comments

• Donal is right about View Visio V200AM-R. They're the only goggle I've ever worn that I can don a soon as I pull out of the case, without adjustment, but then that's probably just the shape of my head. Very comfy over time, low profile, good UV, sun protection, sick look -- we call them the Fully Sicks -- and you can get them in Europe if you order through us at oceanswims.com. Delivery to Europe is c. 13eu or 10 parnd, and gogs cost is 21eu/18 parnd. We despatch in most cases on the same day. Have a look at http://oceanswims.com/default2.asp?active_page_id=157
    viewvisiofs.gif
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    edited December 2013
    So, I stupidly didn't pack a second pair of goggles and my swim is tomorrow. I did an emergency shopping trip and got the Zoggs Reactor. I felt a bit ridiculous paying so much for a pair of goggles, but my goodness, what a marvel that thing is! It changes from clear to dark based on the amount of light outside, which should help a lot tomorrow, as we're starting in the dark and will only see the sunrise about two or three hours into the swim.
    Jaimie
  • SharkoSharko Tomales BayGuest
    edited December 2013
    I am convenienced that it is the oil on ones head and face that causes the fogging problem (chemists anyone??) so a good soap like dawn and warm water after each use works better than a weak soap like baby shampoo (I used to use it)...you can take a eye dropper filled with dawn to use in an emergency (one drop is all you need and smear on both lenses) and clean where ever you have some water to rinse....what do you think??? I am liking my zoggs polarides but if I don't clean them they fog...

"I never met a shark I didn't like"

So far so good with the Zoggs. I hope they won't disappoint tomorrow.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    How did the Zoggs do in the swim, @heart?

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

The Zoggs were awesome, @IronMike. I got the Reactor ones, which become tinted as the sun comes up. It was great that they were clear when I jumped in at nighttime, because there were LOTS of scary slippery rocks and I would never have been able to see where I was going with tinted lenses. They gradually picked up tint as the sun rose in the sky, and I didn't have any glare or any other annoying problems.

The seal held up most of the time, except for one unpleasant patch at the beginning. But that was probably my fault, because the glowsticks I stuck in the goggle strap started rolling forward toward my face and broke the seal.

Overall, I would highly, highly recommend these for swims that involve changing light conditions, the one caveat being the prohibitive price.
    Wow, that'd be nice to have "transition" lenses like that. I'll have to check them out. I'm so scared of spending the money for different goggles since the speedos I've been using for years work great.

• swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    edited January 2014
    Whatever works for you. I wear $7 Speedo Sprints. EVMO digs the Swedes, which are cool. However, they offer no protection when kicked in the face. $7 Sprints to the rescue.

Anything that resembles or looks like a mask is inherently lame and uncool. Never be uncool.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2014
    Yeah. For mass-start races I avoid Swedes and instead opt for Blueseventy Hydra Visions.

I believe Chad Ho (the South African pro OW swimmer) was seriously injured a few years ago from a kick to the eyes with Swedes on.
    Chrisgreene
  • CoreyCorey BerlinMember
    I also use the Zoggs Reactor with the monochromatic lenses and have had a lot of success with them.
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member
    mongoose wrote:
    how long do you find goggles generally last? I've had my last pair of goggles now for about 11 months and I use then at least 3 times a week in the gym pool. They are now finished and are leaking. Seems like a reasonable time but curious to hear others experiences

I go through about 3 pairs a year. I switch them out when the gasket unglues or the lenses get scratched up too much. Before a big race I used to get a new pair broken in a few weeks before. The lenses are usually still pretty clear by then.
  • KevinKevin Member
    I purchased Zoggs Predator Flex goggles about 2 months ago and have found them to be extremely comfortable and was almost converted . They were never abused and carefully looked after . Swimming down the pool today the nose bridge just split and the goggles fell apart ! Has this happened to anybody ? I don't think I can trust them again to buy a new pair . If it happened out at sea , it would not be fun . Just trying to figure out if this is common or not . It has never happened before , for me , with any other goggles .
  • My Zoggs Predators broke similarly at the nose piece. However, I had lent them to someone who had really tightened the straps a lot (seemed excessive when I got them back because my head is not that big and neither was hers) and they snapped in that swim. Too bad because I liked 'em too. I might try again though and not lend them.
  • I swim in TYR special ops goggles. polarized lenses. very comfortable. great at cutting the glare.can go to TYR.com and design your own goggles! they have them in country colors, zebra is a favorite...and cheeta. way cool goggles.
  • helengheleng Hertfordshire, EnglandMember
    edited September 2014
    I have had trouble with goggles leaking on most long swims - including my EC :-( Basically standard size predators, kaiman, kayenne etc are too large, and the women's sizes are too small.
    I am going to try the Aquasphere Vista, but can anyone tell me (since these are borderline masks and cover more of the face) whether there are any specific rules about goggles for any channel swims?FAR2MHYLH5AX.jpg
  • HollyTHollyT Member

Thanks for this thread. My Aquaspheres didn't give me the love yesterday at St Pete, so, now many options....Nootca seems an option as I have a very narrow and small face, so hard to really fit the goggles...

• SilkySharkSilkyShark Member
    edited June 2015

After trying all the brand names and high tech lens, TYR Special Ops is my choice. Polarized, great colors and most importantly they have a wide, soft seal around the eye. The smaller race googles always dig into my eye lids and are very uncomfortable after a long swim. While the TYR Special Ops provide exceptional comfort and good seal with the added bonus of polarized lens and awesome colors. I do use a google case as they are prone to breaking at the nose bridge. If you care for these googles, they will care for you. and they dont break the bank at $25.

• bobcablecarbobcablecar San Francisco, CA Member
    edited June 2015

I love this discussion. I'm partial to the Speedo Air Seal Tri Swim goggle.

They're hands down the most comfortable I've ever worn, and I swim with contact lenses so the fit is crucial. The only caveat is the annoying strap. It becomes very slippery when wet and it has a rather loose fastener so it tends to come undone at the slightest provocation. However, I just replace it with a cheap bungee strap and then it's good to go. I don't seem to find them on SwimOutlet anymore but they're available from Amazon.

evmo
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    I finally figured out how to make a pair of Swedes fit, and have to say I am a convert. The are dirt cheap and last for ever, unlike my previous favorite, Aquasphere Kaimans.
    Cole_G

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• CharlieDoSurfCharlieDoSurf Member
    edited December 2015

My goggle preference has come full circle recently.

In college I wore Speedo Vanquishers and Swedes. As my love for open water grew and my fear of something creeping up out of the corner of my eye never went away, I switched to Aquasphere Kaimans for a while. They more than live up to the hype, but they're just wrong for my face, and the solid bridge means no adjustments.

So now I'm back to Speedo Speed Sockets, the g-string of goggles. It could just be my face, but I find the low profile gives me more peripheral vision than wider lenses with big clunky gaskets.

Buy on Amazon

evmo
  • ChrisBChrisB Issaquah, WAMember
    edited January 2016

I'm all over the board with this topic. Growing up a competitive swimmer I have a soft spot for Swedes (Sporti Swedes are good too). I always have a pair in the bag if not two. For OW I think the variables of the race dictate which pairs I use. In a race when I don't think I have to worry about getting kicked or elbowed I go with either a blue pair of swedes or mirrored depending on light conditions. For the mass start races I like the ROKA Sports F2 blue for low light and the Nootca 207 for bright conditions. The TYR Special Ops Transitions are comfy and would be great in partly cloudy conditions or for long swim where the light conditions may change during the race.

Word of warning: If you are doing a lot of chlorine pool training you will go through a fair amount of straps. The bungee straps seem to be popular for the swedes but be careful as the stiff ends and quick toggle can easily rub against the shoulders when breathing if not perfectly positioned. Also, the more scratched your goggles are the more likely they will fog. I store my goggles in a soft sunglasses case to prolong life.

I have a pretty small face so that obviously effects fit. Zoggs Predator, Blue Seventy Nero, and Aquasphere Kayenne were all pretty comfy but distorted my vision. I think I tried 8 different pairs last year alone and returned half.

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

I'll be a loyal swede-wearer til the day I die, but that being said...

I've been hearing good things about ROKA goggles from some of my South End swim-pod-mates.

http://www.rokasports.com/collections/goggles

edited May 2016

evmo said:

I've been hearing good things about ROKA goggles from some of my South End swim-pod-mates.

http://www.rokasports.com/collections/goggles

I just used a pair of these ROKA goggles for an Alcatraz swim. They were fabulous. They allow sighting with a lower head position and there is very little to no distortion. I used cobalt because we were swimming away from the sun. Buoys were easy to pick out when the giant swells were not in the way.

I highly recommend.

• NoelFigartNoelFigart Lebanon, NHSenior Member
    edited May 2016

ChrisB said:
    I just used a pair of these ROKA goggles for an Alcatraz swim. They were fabulous. They allow sighting with a lower head position and there is very little to no distortion. I used cobalt because we were swimming away from the sun. Buoys were easy to pick out when the giant swells were not in the way.

I highly recommend.

They have buoys for Alcatraz swims?

I am feeling better already.

Those look nice, but as is usual, the expense of trying out a new pair of goggles prevents me from, well, trying out a new pair of goggles. I've been burned too often (burned is not really the right word). I end up giving the goggles to my daughters who really have no need for a $20-30 pair of goggles.

What we need is a goggle exchange or sellers willing to open up a pair of all the goggles they sell so that customers can put them up against their face to at least feel if they'd be annoying or not. But I'm sure issues of health/cooties is of concern.

LynneJenANoelFigart

• JenAJenA Charter Member

@IronMike said: What we need is a goggle exchange or sellers willing to open up a pair of all the goggles they sell so that customers can put them up against their face to at least feel if they'd be annoying or not. But I'm sure issues of health/cooties is of concern.

I think that is a great idea! Or some sort of mass reporting along the line of "people who like hydrospecs/swedes/etc also like ..."

IronMike

NoelFigart said:

ChrisB said:

I highly recommend.

They have buoys for Alcatraz swims?

I am feeling better already.

In the Alcatraz challenge there is a lead boat with buoys. If you are not in the top 20 or so it might be too far up to sight. The challenge also goes to Chrissy Beach and not just the aquatic park. Chrissy Beach does have a couple of yellow buoys but there are better sighting options than those. Just ask around at the pre race and the boat trip out, plenty of people with experience to help you out with sighting.

• emkhowleyemkhowley Boston, MACharter Member
    edited June 2016

evmo said:

I'm also a die-hard swede-wearer (you'll have to pry them out of my cold, dead hands) but I received a pair of ROKA open water goggles recently. (They became a sponsor of USMS and gave us a few pairs for staffers to try out.) I wore them in the lake the other day and have to admit, they're pretty nice. They fit snugly without being too eye-ball sucking tight, didn't leak, and the expanded field of vision was a nice feature. I think I'll still always prefer a $3 pair of swedes to a $35 pair of tri-goggles, but it's was nice to get to try them out.

IronMike

Stop me if you've heard this one...
    A grasshopper walks into a bar...
    https://elainekhowley.com/

• malinakamalinaka Seattle, WACharter Member

Is Speedo out of the Swedish goggle market? Other that a few pair left on Amazon and lots of amber/multi color left at Metro Swim Shop, there is nothing left. Anyone have and info on this?

I don't wear a wetsuit; it gives the ocean a sporting chance.

malinaka said:
    Is Speedo out of the Swedish goggle market? Other that a few pair left on Amazon and lots of amber/multi color left at Metro Swim Shop, there is nothing left. Anyone have and info on this?

Exactly why I buy dozens of goggles when I find them. I like the speedo hydrospex, but the old ones, not the new ones (version II).

Try Aquagear. I've had luck with them.

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member

I buy dozens of goggles.

I don't think I've owned dozens of goggs ... in total. Even including all the ones from my early days when I was changing regularly. I currently have one pair of 2 year old Swedes for pool, anther 2 year old pair for open water along with a pair of 4 year old gasket goggs for rough water, and a pair of cheap prescription googs that I've worn three times.

evmo

loneswimmer.com

loneswimmer said:

I buy dozens of goggles.

I don't think I've owned dozens of goggs ... in total. Even including all the ones from my early days when I was changing regularly. I currently have one pair of 2 year old Swedes for pool, anther 2 year old pair for open water along with a pair of 4 year old gasket goggs for rough water, and a pair of cheap prescription googs that I've worn three times.

I have kids who routinely "borrow" my goggles and leave them at the pool, or in the sun, or in the bottom of their backpacks, or in the sauna... ;)

• dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member

loneswimmer said:

I buy dozens of goggles.

My incentive to switch to swedes was the rapid rate at which I was going through my Kaiman's - they last forever in the pool but the seals deteriorate pretty quickly in salt water for some reason.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• MichealMicheal Ontario CanadaMember

II have been using the Aqua Sphere Kaiman goggles for a few years now. I like that I can get them in clear or tinted. Even after hours of wearing them, they don't hurt.

jjjnjr
  • glennglenn cape town SAMember

has anyone bought from www.swiminn.com? I see they have zoggs at a very good price compared with out local suppliers but not sure on the site

glenn said:
    has anyone bought from www.swiminn.com? I see they have zoggs at a very good price compared with out local suppliers but not sure on the site

Nope. Swim Outlet and Aquagear for me.

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I just got a couple pair of the ROKA R1 goggles. I really like them. I barely lift my head to sight and they seem to also have a wider field of view. I can see a swimmer to my side clearly now. It makes my pool googles seem like tunnel vision. Very happy with them.

• 2bkman2bkman Member

Hi, I'm new here - sorry for asking this in an old thread, but I couldn't figure out how to create a topic!

I was wanting opinions on the difference between pool goggles, and goggle for open water. I am mainly a pool swimmer, but starting to get into some open water swims. Not a marathon swimmer (yet!), but i'm figuring you guys in here will hopefully have some good advice for me.

I tried all the main recommended goggles. The aqua sphere ones don't suit my face. Eventually found this review for tyr goggles: https://www.bayviewinformer.com/best_goggles_review.html. I got a pair, and by far my best goggles yet. But they are not the classic style you see most people wearing at open water swims. I like them, but is there some disadvantage I am not understanding? Why do open water swimmers not really wear the pool racing style goggles?

Thanks for any help!

• MLambyMLamby Senior Member

I have used Aqua Sphere Kayenne goggles exclusively and love them. They never leak or squeeze regardless of conditions, and the straps and eye pieces stay super supple. They give me full range of vision. Also use Spit brand spray and have no fogging issues at all.

dpm50
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited July 2018

@2bkman said: is there some disadvantage I am not understanding? Why do open water swimmers not really wear the pool racing style goggles?

In goggle engineering, there can be a tradeoff between visibility and hydrodynamics, and open water swimmers prize the former, so you tend to see larger goggles with wider-angle lenses being marketed to OWS and triathlon.

IMO swedes are an exception to the tradeoff, they have both a minimal profile and great visibility.

MLambyjendut
  • wendyv34wendyv34 Vashon, WASenior Member

I think the most important factor for goggles in a marathon swim situation is fit. They should be comfortable enough to wear for the amount of time you will be swimming, without leaking or fogging.

MLambyIronMike

It's always a bad hair day when you work at a pool.

wendyv34 said:
    I think the most important factor for goggles in a marathon swim situation is fit. They should be comfortable enough to wear for the amount of time you will be swimming, without leaking or fogging.

I agree 100% with this. For actual marathon distances... for me at least, it's all about sheer comfort and full visibility. I also think that even if you are mainly pool training, you should still use the gear that you will be using when you race, just for familiarity. Again, just my opinion....when it comes to swimming, I'm like a golfer with just a couple clubs in their bag. :) At the end of the day, they need to be something that you pretty much don't even notice are there for hours at a time. To me, goggles and trunks should be like a great ref or umpire......at the end of the game, you didn't even remember they were there. :)

wendyv34
  • angel55angel55 Granada (Spain)Member

I use the speedo fastskin. They are very confortable but a little dark for low visibility enviroments

edited July 2018

wendyv34 said:

And then when you find the pair that fits these criteria, buy dozens of them, because if you don't, Murphy will rear his ugly head and the company will stop producing them.

MLambycurlyangel55

• musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember
    edited July 2020

Hello everyone,

I am wondering what everyone thinks is there favourite swimming goggles? I have tried many and I actually really like the Magic5 goggles for 1-2000m swims in the pool.

Yesterday we went out to the lake and swam 2000m but it was a little chilly and lots of waves and I kept on getting water crashing into my goggles.

What do you guys use for longer open water swims?

I LOVE my Aqua Sphere Kayenne Polarized. Especially for long open water swims. I have been using them for a little more than three years, have intermittently tried others on recommendation, and always go back to them. Love them.

dpm50
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

I use Aquasphere Kayenne and Kaiman and have done for 6 years. Have bought loads of pairs. Goggles are a very personal thing, so I think you need to try stuff. There are so many to choose from. I've tried things that have been recommended to me and found they just don't fit my face.

dpm50
  • kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

I wear swedes for both pool and open water. I wore speedo vanquishers for a few years but i found the swedes are just more comfortable if you take the time to dial them in, and i like the peripheral vision and clarity of a clean pair.

Goggles are definitely a personal preference, as @KatieBun and others have mentioned... trial and error on your own face!

dpm50
  • KagemushaKagemusha Honolulu Member

Zoggs. Predator.

curly
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

@Kagemusha said:
    Zoggs. Predator.

And this just reminded me to order another pair. I like these because they are comfortable on the face and I don't have to crank them on too tight. A lot of goggles work for me in a short session, but when you start to do multiple hours on multiple days, they start to hurt my face. The Predator goggles tend to fit me really lightly and still keep the water out.

But yeah, personal preference. I'm going to have to try out those Aqua Sphere goggles at some point. I was in a store the other day and was looking at them, but I wasn't sure if the store would be too happy with me trying on a couple pairs. You know, with all the COVID restrictions going on these days.

dpm50