New Forum Member? Introduce yourself here.

Comments

• abeabe australiaMember

Hi marathon swimmers or those attempting to be like me,

Have done a few 10km ocean events but looking at 26km or 35km 2020 so enjoying reading swimmers experiences good and bad, also very inspiring. Everyone is so different some big kms others survive on limited kms

The hardest thing I am finding is when I try to back up a 2nd session (morning workout 5 - 10km) in a day get total weakness after about 2km (thinking nutrition) so any nutrition advice would be greatly appreciated.

Yours in Water Abe

miklcctSolorlm
  • fastargonautfastargonaut Sunshine Coast, AustraliaMember

Hi everyone! I’m new to this forum. Although I don’t consider myself a marathon swimmer, I guess I am. I love pool sprinting but did English Channel last year and attempting a double crossing in July 2020. I’m in Australia so always have great waters to swim in.

Sam Penny

miklcctSolorlmBogdanZTracy_Clark
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

@fastargonaut said:
    ... Although I don’t consider myself a marathon swimmer... but did English Channel last year and attempting a double crossing in July 2020....

Will be interested to see what you do before you consider yourself a marathon swimmer. :#

MLambySolorlmKate_AlexanderFlowSwimmersIronMikeBogdanZCopelj26Tracy_Clark
  • McswimsMcswims Pennsylvania, USA Member

Hi all!
    I'm a very unathletic person who loves open water swimming. I swam age group as a kid and always did the longest events (400/800 free, but 200/400 IM) because no one wanted to do them, so therefore no one cared that I was slow. I didn't swim (or do any sports) in high school or college. I was never skinny, but put on a huge amount of weight in my 20s. Got back in the pool, but having grown up in south Florida, I didn't like the indoor pools in Pennsylvania. (And I had no idea there was options for ows besides the English Channel, lol.) So my runner friends had me doing 5ks (on land!), then half marathons and finally triathlons. I love tris, but my knees don't. Since the swim was my favorite, I used the magic of the internet to learn that there are ows shorter than an EC crossing, and some right near me! A couple of months later, in Sept 2017, I did my first 5k and fell in love. I'm still slow, but now regularly swim 5ks, 10ks and doing a 7-miler in 5 weeks. With a very supportive husband, I've decided to swim 100 bodies of water around the world. I'm at over 50 and can't wait to add more this year.

I joined the forum to learn more about my new found sport, become a more responsible swimmer, and maybe share a little bit with others

evmomiklcctthelittlemerwookieSoloKate_AlexanderIronMikerlmSpacemanspiffBogdanZCopelj26BridgetKari33polka_stripessosophiaphia
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber
    edited March 2019

@Mcswims said:
    I'm a very unathletic person who loves open water swimming.

You say that you are unathletic but you did age group swim meets!!!!! My runner friends haven't successfully persuaded me to run marathons yet, but they only run but not swim, nor triathlons.

I'm also unathletic and love open water swimming, but I have trouble finding 5 km to 10 km races (most of the open water races here are around 1 to 3 km, nothing near marathon swimming), and no friends are supporting me because they only run but not swim at all.

• edited March 2019

@Mcswims said:
    ...With a very supportive husband, I've decided to swim 100 bodies of water around the world...

Such a cool goal! Have a great time - I can't wait to read about your swims!

McswimsBridget
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member

With a very supportive husband, I've decided to swim 100 bodies of water around the world. I'm at over 50 and can't wait to add more this year.

Well then you must do lake Issyk Kul in Kyrgyzstan. No visa needed if you're there fewer than 15 days! ;)

McswimsBogdanZCopelj26

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• McswimsMcswims Pennsylvania, USA Member

@ironmike, I haven't been to that part of the world yet, so I will add it to my list! Thanks for the info!

IronMike
  • rlmrlm Senior Member

Mcswims: You are NOT an "un-athletic person"!!!!

Solo
  • FitaylorFitaylor Devon UKNew Member

Hey, have just signed up for the Marathon at Lake Orta. Last big swim was Windermere last year but this will be the longest and furthest and hopefully fastest. I read a Blog recently about a guy who did this swim and he hit a wall after 6 hours. Any advice how to get past this mentally ? Also, I'm restricted to a 25m pool for the next month so am combining 2 x masters sessions a week with a 10x400m block and am upping a longer swim each Sunday. Fitting it around work and children is difficult so timing essential. Any advice on training too ? Thanks !

SoloFlowSwimmersBogdanZ
  • FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

@Fitaylor This article on nutrition might be helpful with that 6-hour point you mention. At the end of the article, Nick mentions training on an empty stomach to learn to metabolize fat.

http://club.selkieswim.com/nutrition-in-long-distance-swimming-bonkers-behaviour-nick-murch-teamselkie/

Good luck!

• jessharrisjessharris MassachusettsMember

Hi all!
    I’ve done a lot short (1 mi) open water swims but I’d like to start doing some longer ones! I swim 2.5 miles 4-5 times a week. Will probably be increasing the yardage over time.
    Looking forward to this forum!

kiparizmiklcctSolorlmBogdanZBridgetpolka_stripes
  • BogdanZBogdanZ Bucharest, RomaniaSenior Member
    edited April 2019

@Fitaylor said:
    Hey, have just signed up for the Marathon at Lake Orta. Last big swim was Windermere last year but this will be the longest and furthest and hopefully fastest. I read a Blog recently about a guy who did this swim and he hit a wall after 6 hours. Any advice how to get past this mentally ? Also, I'm restricted to a 25m pool for the next month so am combining 2 x masters sessions a week with a 10x400m block and am upping a longer swim each Sunday. Fitting it around work and children is difficult so timing essential. Any advice on training too ? Thanks !

Hi, there's this post about Orta, that might help. Also there's I think the website of SydneD.
    https://forum.marathonswimmers.org/discussion/1360/
    I have done it last year, so if you need some further details, don't hesitate to PM me or ask on that thread so others can use (or not) later on.
    Cheers! Bogdan
    PS: I might need one day some Windermeere advice as well :smiley:

rlmDavidZak
  • AshCAshC IrelandMember

Hi All, I am trying to find a thread about the various swims available for a beginner. I have a 3 person channel relay in July and a 7km swim at Hit the Wall in a few weeks and then Dart double in September. I am looking for a challenge for next Summer that is in the UK or Ireland and that I can swim solo without costing a fortune (kayaker etc) - aprox 15 km. Any suggestions or threads that you can send me to please? Thanks in advance.

SoloIronMikeDavidZak
  • gregmcgregmc Sandgate Brisbane QLDMember

Hey team,
    Long course triathlete with a passion for OWS.
    Swim with a regular crew at Sutton’s beach QLD every Wednesday and Friday morning (Facebook - Sutton’s Swim Group - if you’re interested in coming along)
    Currently planning a swim with a team of eight from Shorncliffe jetty to Woody Point jetty - approx 8kms - to occur in September 2019.

• PearlyShellzPearlyShellz TexasMember
    edited June 2019

Hello there! I'm so glad I found the forum for OPEN WATER SWIMMING!!! I realized I've been lurking in the wrong forum... after a month of joining a TRIATHLON forum. :D their training plans are awesome but - I couldn't ride a bike. So I figured there must be an open water swimming forum and here I am.

I'm a Filipina currently in Texas, although a physician, I'm a full-time mom for now. I was an elite badminton player most of my life, until my joints put me in hiatus from the sport. After recovery, my doctors allowed me to go back to sports but they only cleared me for the water. My swimming skills was so bad, I often ended-up with more pains after 5 laps. Since I needed to exercise to avoid the knife and meds, I signed-up for formal instruction and I just fell in love with the water. My coach was FINA-certified and active triathlete who saw my potential. So he fixed my running form, taught me TI swimming, and trained me for my first open water race after 6 months of intensive training. But on the way to a practice swim to an island, I injured my back and begged off the race. It was difficult to get back on my feet for a couple of years because my injuries would recur and for a while, had to live on a wheelchair. Overtime, I had to find the right nutrition, training, and lifestyle to be where I am now. I'm a newbie but in time, I aspire to cross channels too ;) My inspiration is Kim Chambers. <3

I have never swam a race, indoor or out in the open but I have swam with small boats in some islands for a good kilometer from shore. I got to try swimming in a bit cold lake this spring. I've been swimming in an indoor pool which also maintains their water temperatures around the low 80s. After a lot of laps, occasional over heating, and maybe boredom, I feel I'm ready for colder and open waters. But from where I am, gators and sharks are challenges to finding a lake to swim in. I have been considering joining a race within the year but I couldn't find kindred spirits or locations within 60 miles from me to train with. So please send invitations my way for open water workshops if you're in the Houston area. ;)

SoloflystormsBridgetPaigeKiedingpavlicov
  • SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member
    edited June 2019

@PearlyShellz said:
    Hello there! I'm so glad I found the forum for OPEN WATER SWIMMING!!! I realized I've been lurking in the wrong forum... after a month of joining a TRIATHLON forum. :D their training plans are awesome but - I couldn't ride a bike. So I figured there must be an open water swimming forum and here I am.
    have been considering joining a race within the year but I couldn't find kindred spirits or locations within 60 miles from me to train with. So please send invitations my way for open water workshops if you're in the Houston area. ;)

@PearlyShellz good luck! I can’t imagine swimming where you are. I have a race tomorrow and the water is almost 23 degrees. Feels like swimming in soup!

• PearlyShellzPearlyShellz TexasMember

@Solo that's the temp I'm hoping to acclimatize to. Good luck on that race! ;)

• flystormsflystorms Memphis, TNSenior Member

@PearlyShellz , there's a nice OW swim in early fall at Lake Conroe - Snapping Tortuga. You could get that on your radar for one to aim for. They have a couple distance options for you. https://www.active.com/willis-tx/water-sports/swimming-races/snapping-tortuga-open-water-swim-2019

PearlyShellz
  • BridgetBridget New York StateMember

@PearlyShellz - when I lived in SATX, I did a swim in Lake Travis, and also did swimming on my own off South Padre Island- The Gulf was neat- in the hotel/tourist area. Strong currents, waves way out, and I swam in place, essentially. It was a one time shot, but I'd go back if I were closer. . . Not sure what is off shore near Houston. The campground area had a beach full of trash from the oil rigs. :disappointed: I did not swim there. Have fun with your swimming, wherever you find it. :D

PearlyShellz
  • BrenBren Texas Member

Hello fellow mermaids, fish, lovers of water: my name is Brenya. I joined today June 9, 2019. Yesterday at my windcrest Triathlon I made a fogbrained decision. After stepping in the pool to start my swim and was told to go - I actually fiddled with my Garmin watch instead of “going” ugh!!

So today when I sighted this forum I was exited to Join to discipline my brain to rid itself of land fog. I begun my journey as a mermaid at age ten when my wise and supportive Dutch Ma said “it’s time”. Water is my favorite terrain.

I’m excited to join in on the learning and comradeship this forum brings. No need to explain our gills here. We are be-ing who we are in water.

Cheers,

Brenya

PearlyShellzevmo
  • polka_stripespolka_stripes Sacramento, CAMember

Hi! Just joined. I've been training for my first Alcatraz swim (baby stuff, I know). I did a two mile warm up race a couple weeks ago and my dad, a person who is EXTREMELY interested in staying on land, was asking me "So what do you think about to keep pushing yourself during your swim?" and I realized the answer was - I just really love swimming! I love being in the water, I love the absolute clarity of mind, just everything about it. Until this Alcatraz training I had been a very on-again off-again master's swimmer - I love it, but I am highly uncompetitive at meets and largely uninterested in changing that. Nothing gives me a high like coming out of the lake after a swim, and I get such a thrill from pushing myself harder to swim further and faster. I want to try some longer distances - definitely in the 10-20k range. I'm so glad I found this community so I can take advantage of your wealth of knowledge!

KatieBunswimrn62Kate_Alexanderrlmevmo
  • Hi all—

Joined a couple weeks ago but just getting around to posting. Doing my first 10 miler next weekend and then a 15 miler across the Long Island sound in Aug. Lifelong competitive swimmer and triathlete. Hoping to find fellow long-distance open water swimmers in NYC to train with. Shoot me a message if interested! Thanks!

NP

evmoSolorlmj9swim
  • j9swimj9swim CharlestonSenior Member

@cityswimmer - we all swim at Brighton Beach 6 (Q train) you can get specific instructions at www.cibbows.org. People swimming long, short, fast or slow every weekend. Bring a swim buoy and a bright cap as there can be boats and jet skis. Just walk up and introduce yourself , you’ll find some new swimmie friends. Welcome to NYC swimming!

• @j9swim said:
    @cityswimmer - we all swim at Brighton Beach 6 (Q train) you can get specific instructions at www.cibbows.org. People swimming long, short, fast or slow every weekend. Bring a swim buoy and a bright cap as there can be boats and jet skis. Just walk up and introduce yourself , you’ll find some new swimmie friends. Welcome to NYC swimming!

Wow, thanks so much! This sounds great. I’ll be there the weekend after next.

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

@j9swim said:

Or better yet, join CIBBOWS and get a free swim buoy and cap. And many other benefits. Best value in NYC.

j9swimrlm

hey so, possibly dumb question, i cannot figure out for the life of me how to make a new post? do i have to comment a certain number of times before that feature is available?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

The ability to create new discussion threads is granted once a new member successfully comments on an existing thread.

Congrats, you've been promoted!

...I commented on threads a week ago, have I been blind to that new, huge, glaring, blue button that says "New Discussion" for days now??? Omg.

Solo
  • swimRilesswimRiles San JoseMember

Hi everyone,
    Not a long time lurker but have spent quite some time reading @loneswimmer blog, training, reading books about everything I can learn about open water swimming.

Grew up as age group and high school swimmer then stopped once enlistment in to the Army.

About 15 years later, spent Christmas vacation in Santa Cruz, CA(2017). New to the area, having just moved from Colorado, could see Monterey in a clear day. Thought to myself and wondered if anyone had ever swam there couldn’t be more than 10 miles. Lol, once back home researched it a bit and was more like 25+ miles.

Started to train in the pool everyday, was in really bad physical shape and could barely swim 100m let alone think about swimming 25 miles. Decided to take a more gradual approach and build up to it. I actually had no idea what I was getting myself into at that point other than continue to train and read as much as I could. Reading was the only thing I could do as I hadn’t known anyone that has done anything like this before.

A friend at the gym told me about a group that swims in the SF Bay, Swim with Pedro(WWS) and found my way there for the first time this April, after training for nearly an entire year losing 60 pounds in the process. Wow. At first, Pedro said if I had goals to swim long open water swims such as channels I shouldn’t start with a wetsuit. Ok, I sort of agreed at the time and just went on the advice that has the experience that I don’t. First time I went in the water, holy crap, I stood almost chest high in 53f water and started to really contemplate my new chosen ambitions. But then something inside me just said dive in and just swim, you already know how to swim but you really need to figure out this cold open water thing. It was amazing 😉 They sent kayakers to me about an hour later asking if I was done, as everyone else was. I started going weekly and going for longer swims and just focused on the skills I read about needing like sighting and navigation and even currents are still somewhat new to me.

Things quickly ramped up from April and in June I swam my first Alcatraz crossing to St Francis yacht club then a week later swam the SF Bridge to Bridge event(which the track.rs worked great by the way thanks @evmo ).

With Pedro’s advice I also just recently joined the SERC to have opportunity to meet and swim with the many great folks that have done these larger swims on my radar, Gibraltar 2020 and EC 2022. As I am just getting started we will see how those go :)

Kind of a long intro, but it’s nice to meet you all 😀

evmorlmIronMikeSoloSpacemanspiffPaigeKiedingpolka_stripesBridget
  • northeast_afieldnortheast_afield United StatesNew Member

Greetings! Still in a bit of an exploratory phase of marathon swimming, despite having done a 10 mile event this past weekend. I've lurked for a few weeks as I realized I was over my head in terms of planning for nutrition, sun protection, and the like, but it all worked out thanks to the collective wisdom here. Thank you! As my sore shoulders recover, I look forward to learning more and planning for the next challenge. Cheers!

evmoKatieBunrlmSoloPaigeKiedingBridget
  • Tory1340Tory1340 Metrowest MANew Member

Good morning, everyone.

I was lurking for a while then joined (and continued lurking). Until now, having been called out as a newbie to this fine forum. Thanks for having me!

Brief bio: I am an adult onset swimmer, reformed triathlete, and hopefully now a swimmer. Triathlon gave way to aquabike because of bad knees (one now replaced), then I said, why not bike to listen to the birds and such, rather than hammer head-down and miss the good stuff. And so I discovered the mountain bike and decided to spend time getting better in the water. Yes, I grew up in and around water at the family lake house and summer camps, as well as wilderness canoeing, but that's vastly different from finding that couple-of-hour or all-day pace.

Enter USMS masters swimming with the incomparable @jendut coaching. I don't spend as much time in her pool now, but I hear her voice in my head: "Squeeze your bum", among the favorites. Enter a bunch of other highly accomplished OW swimmers to nudge me along: @emkhowley @gregoc . I came to this forum to learn tips & tricks to successful solo training and how to be a marathon swimmer. No, I haven't logged the distance yet, but it's around the corner. I have a goal for next summer (to be disclosed at a later date), and am building slowly but surely to get there.

Thanks to all who share their successes and failures so we can all learn to be better swimmers and humans. Cheers,

Tory.

rlmJSwimSoloIronMikekejoyceSpacemanspiffthelittlemerwookiePaigeKiedingMoCo
  • bogianenbogianen Torino, ItalyNew Member

Hi everyone, real name Davide, early 50's, Italian, still into triathlon and running but slowly turning into a full-time swimmer.

Like many, I sort of "had to" resort to swimming in order to stay active after a running injury and loved it. I was a competitive swimmer in my early teens, but when I quit I really forgot about the sport and for decades I did not really swim. Loved open water since my first "race" (1500 m in Lake Orta) 2 years ago, when I signed up on a whim and had no idea what I was getting myself into.

Now I'm thinking about doing longer races and this forum looks like the best place to learn.

rlmIronMikeflystormsTory1340SoloBogdanZPasqualePaigeKiedingthelittlemerwookie
  • SaraMcSwimSaraMcSwim Charleston, SCNew Member

Greetings! I'm in my early 30s and am a lifelong swimmer (and coach's daughter), with the 200 and 500 being my best events. I injured my shoulder in high school, so had to take some time off from swimming, but still spent the next 7 years working at the a pool either teaching lessons, coaching, or lifeguarding. Despite not really training, I did my first open water swim, a 2k, in 2011. But before I could really get back into swimming, I moved to Charleston, SC, and was in grad school and working at the pool. Any time I was at the water I was working, not swimming, so my next swim wasn't until 2014. Did the Lowcountry Splash and a sprint tri, but then switched to running (including a half marathon) mostly for convenience. But after a few years, running wasn't working for me physically or mentally, so I rejoined a pool in August 2018. To be frank, I was in a mental health crisis and an anxious mess when I joined that pool. I'm not anymore, and I know that's from swimming, especially from facing my fears head-on in the ocean.

I knew in 2018 if I wanted to get back into swimming for life I needed to 1) not re-injure my shoulder and 2) set new goals for myself. I spent August to March slowly building up my endurance and tweaking my technique (leaving space between fingers has been a game-changer for my shoulder), and in April joined my local open water swimming group. I started doing OW races again this year, all under 3 miles. By the end of the summer, my weekly yardage was 12-15,000, and my shoulder is still happy, so it's time to set a goal for a longer race. So next April I'll be doing the Swim Around Lido Key (7 miles) and I couldn't be more excited!

I have the luxury of living 5 miles from the beach, with warm water(!!), so I try to take advantage of that whenever possible. And I go to a pool where I can almost always get a lane to myself right after work. The open water community is such a helpful and supportive community, both online and IRL, and I'm just so happy to be a part of it. I try to give back by offering technique help whenever (and only if) asked. I've been lurking in this forum for a few months now getting tips on nutrition and jellyfish and everything in between, and it has been so helpful! I'm looking forward to learning and growing in the water, and outside of it, with this community. Thanks to all who make it such a wonderful place to learn!

flystormsCopelj26PaigeKiedingrlmevmoIronMikeLakeBagger
  • LsmetterLsmetter Monroe, WINew Member

Thanks to the organizers of this forum and to all who encourage newbies in this sport of marathon swimming. I live near Madison, WI and have completed 6 full Ironman races now (since 2014). I've been looking for a new challenge and stumbled upon END WET. I'm registered for 2020 and reading all these posts am inspired for many more swims to come!

evmothelittlemerwookieSoloIronMikeBHillrlm
  • elizabethbelizabethb United StatesNew Member

Hi I'm Elizabeth and I'm new to this forum. Still reading all the posts from 5 years ago. I thought I had the slowest stroke possible! Can there be a competition for that? I'm scheduled to cross English Channel solo September 2021.
    On Oct 12 I finished the 10 mile Swim the Suck in the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. My time of 7:34:34 was over two hours after the second to the last person. I'd appreciate any advice on acclimatizing. AND I'm visiting Israel in March 2021 -- how can I swim Sea of Galilee please- is there a public beach? THANKS! Happy Swimming!

SoloPaigeKiedingevmothelittlemerwookieGuyco111EyalSchBogdanZ
  • elizabethbelizabethb United StatesNew Member

Elizabeth again. I'm on Insta @ebdoverbound

• Guyco111Guyco111 IsraelMember

Hi > @elizabethb said:

Hi I'm Elizabeth and I'm new to this forum. Still reading all the posts from 5 years ago. I thought I had the slowest stroke possible! Can there be a competition for that? I'm scheduled to cross English Channel solo September 2021.
    On Oct 12 I finished the 10 mile Swim the Suck in the Tennessee River in Chattanooga. My time of 7:34:34 was over two hours after the second to the last person. I'd appreciate any advice on acclimatizing. AND I'm visiting Israel in March 2021 -- how can I swim Sea of Galilee please- is there a public beach? THANKS! Happy Swimming!

Hi @elizabethb, about swimming in the Sea of Galilee, you can contact me directly.
    I have sent you my personal e-mail address.
    Soon we will be presenting a new website for Swimming the Galilee sea. all required info will be given there.
    Guy

elizabethbthelittlemerwookieBogdanZ
  • MocoLocoMocoLoco California / Arizona / New MexicoNew Member

Hello. Lurking old dude here. Used to swim a lot - swim team, water polo and just solo hours in the water wherever I could find it. 61 now. In my 30s and 40s I did a moderate amount of open water swimming, but very modest distances (1.5 miles max). Was out of shape for a decade but got in the pool about ten months ago. Dropped a bunch of weight and now am swimming longer distances - 5K is now a relatively normal swim for me in the pool. I am slow these days, but find that I can go longer than they will let me swim laps in the pool. I am pretty desperate to swim longer distances without the monotony of doing laps. I am interested in training tips, good swim recommendations (SoCal preference, but will travel), and in hearing from like minded oddballs.

LakeBaggerrlmevmoSoloSydneDMLamby
  • musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember

I actually just found this forum!

I used to swim a ton when I was younger (30 y.o now) in highschool I did a lot more wrestling and martial arts and have been lifting weights for bodybuilding for most of my adult life. Last year I decided I wanted to challenge myself so I signed up for an Ironman 70.3

I had so much fun training and it really ignited my love for swimming again. This summer I will be doing the Ironman as well as 3 spartan races. I wanted to start doing more swims and get more into marathon swimming so I also signed up for a 10km lake swim in September which I couldn't be more pumped for.

Glad I found this forum because my goals after this summer will be way more swimming orientated! Glad to be here!

rlmevmoelizabethbSolothelittlemerwookiemiklcct