Editing Openwaterpedia

2»

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member

phodgeszoho said:
    For example you have a thread on the forum called "New Forum Member? Introduce yourself here" and you also have basic profile pages to support the users posting to threads. This sort of thing could benefit from wiki pages where the creation of a users profiles also generated a swimmer profile wiki page.

We already have a profile. I can control how much of my profile is public and how much isn't. If there were an additional wiki page that I couldn't control, you won't see me here again.

thelittlemerwookie
  • brunobruno Barcelona (Spain)Senior Member

My bits on @phodgeszoho thoughts: The forum is full of amazing information: nutrition, cold water, places to swim, sunscreens... I've always thought that some topics should be compiled in not-too-long articles (or short series), each one with a tab in MSF site. This could be done by admins (obviously), volunteers or (easier than in a wiki) using a collaborative doc (Google Docs or similar) where a draft is developed by some people, until it's ready to be transferred to the site.

Some of us run our own blog, I see lots of writing skills around here. I bet most of us would be glad to help in such a project. I would.

I'm not a fan of wikis. The only trustable text I find there is in the "Discussion" page of each article. And I haven't found any "Discussion" in Openwaterpedia, not even in Nyad's article!

As a side note, a website with too much content has 2 problems:

(1) You can get lost when trying to surf the site

(2) It's difficult to keep up updating the content, hence you end up with a lot of content updated (which undermines credibility)

The point is to assess what is "too much content"...

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    edited November 2019

Not suggesting you would have a profile you couldn't edit. That was the whole point of the issue with Openwaterpedia. SM has to work like a dog because he wants to control everything and use it for the sole purpose of driving content to his monetized sites. In the end just chucking ideas out there. Although I have dabbled I am not a developer. Just a designer. Already regretting sticking my head above the parapet.

gregoc