Best anti-chafing solution?

13»

Comments

• angel55angel55 Granada (Spain)Member

Thank you. I´ll try this next son.

• I have been using a product called "Okole Stuff", and LOVE it.
    It's got teatree oil in it, plus lanolin and petroleum. The teatree oil makes it smell good. :)
    It worked for during swims, as a preventative, and after swims, for any spots that you might have missed.

BUT, it appears to no longer be available.

grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

So, I've got to find a new solution.
    I've seen bagbalm, with questions about longevity in salt water.
    I've seen straight lanolin.
    I've seen desitin.

I have enough of my Okole stuff to get me through my next big swim, so I can afford to do some experimenting.

I even have a compounding pharmacy near me so I might be able to get some professional help if I decide to go that route.

Are there any major pitfalls I should avoid in my experimentation, though?
    I know that the solutions above work for some and not others, so they might or might not work for me. I know I'll have to commence some trial and error. But, if there's a way to avoid any super obvious errors, I'd love to know before, rather than later.

Thanks!

• abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

You could probably try to mix your own to replicate. I do 50/50 Lanolin and Vaseline

• MvGMvG MauritiusCharter Member

@angel55 said:
    I always use lanoline/vaseline mix, but the problem is to remove it when finish. I try with soap, detergent and sand, etc. and it always is very difficult. What do you use, please?

Put on an old cotton T-shirt and sleep one night in it (an extra towel over your pillow for the part of your neck not covered by the T-shirt). The next morning all the gunk is gone, and skin smooth as a baby's for days :-)

Btw I have stopped mixing my lanolin with vaselin, pure lanolin may be harder to spread but will last forever. But its yucky stuff, so for swims under 3 hours I still use vaselin.

Sara_Wolf
  • KswimsKswims San Diego, CAMember

I use this for sun protection and it also helps prevent chafing (it is extremely thick and contains sunflower seed oil, beeswax, and vit. E oil):
    https://www.amazon.com/Badger-Sunscreen-Unscented-Resistant-Ingredients/dp/B08Y9B73QB

I also put body glide around the areas my suit hits my skin after applying this all over.
    This has offered adequate sun protection and minimized chafing for 12-13 hour swims.