A 48 hour swim in Manhattan

2»

Comments

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    edited October 2013
    Obviously she was stopping too often. If she had just kept swimming 7 1/2 hours with no feeds, she would have warmed up for sure.
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    edited October 2013
    evmo wrote:
    I would be surprised if she even covered half that reported distance (98 miles). This is what happens when you combine someone for whom truth-telling is apparently not a priority, with a media who are disinclined to fact-check feel-good stories.

This is somewhat of a given. It's probable that objective verification wasn't arranged before the swim, perhaps intentionally.

To be sure, do we have any sort of objective observer's report (not a friend or member of the media), and/or an official lap count which details how many laps were completed at exactly what times? We need verification so we don't have to speculate.

Keep moving forward.

• paulmpaulm Senior Member
    As I said previously 21.52-22.07 There was no swimming plus many other examples
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    Unfortunately, it all seems to boil down to this: Diana Nyad*. To be sure, some positive things have occurred as a result of her swim(s). More people are becoming interested in the sport. At the same time, more people are becoming educated about generally accepted rules as a result of the controversy.

Keep moving forward.

• westwest Member
    edited October 2013
    I don't know a lot about how corporate sponsorship usually works for a fundraiser - but $850000 for one person to swim just seems... disproportionate?