Raystown Lake Swim - Central Pennsylvania

ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
edited May 2013 in Event Announcements
Currently working with the US Army Corp of Engineers to swim the 28-mile Raystown Lake in beautiful central Pennsylvania! I am working on the date of Saturday, June 22, or 29, 2013. Please let me know if you are serious about swimming, or interested in being a part of the crew for this inaugural swim.

I believe this could turn into an event in the future, and I am really excited about giving it a go!

Raystown-Lake-Hawns-Overlook.jpg

www.darren-miller.com
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania U.S.A.

Comments

• timsroottimsroot Spring, TXCharter Member
    If I still lived in Ohio, I'd be interested, but alas...

That lake looks stunning.
  • smithsmith Huntsville, AlabamaSenior Member
    edited May 2013
    Darren: I might be able to help as a pace swimmer if the swim is on the 29th. I'd drive in during the afternoon of the 28th, and drive back out (while stopping at Primanti's on the way) on the 30th. Looks to be about 7 hours from my home in southwestern Ohio. I'll put in a request to see if I can get out of town on those days. I would not be able to help during the weekend of the 22nd.

**Update** I checked as I got into the office this morning. I will not be able to get out of the office on 6/28. I'm probably done for the day at 6 pm. Even a 7:30-8pm flight out of Dayton or Cincy to Pittsburgh + rental car doesn't really get me into central PA until around 10 - 10:30pm. Thus, can't really be of any help to any of the participants as a pace swimmer or crew member. Not enough lead time.

Nonetheless, you're definitely on to something significant with this swim. It's just a few miles more than the eastern Lake Erie route, and a few miles short of the traditional Niagara-on-the-Lake to Toronto Lake Ontario route. Best of luck!!!

Keep moving forward.

• jendutjendut Charter Member
    I would like to hear more about maybe swimming it- logistics, etc. I am going on google earth right now to check it out but you can reach me off group at jspendutton@gmail.com
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Darren -

I'm pretty sure I can crew on the 22nd and maybe the 29th, but the latter is iffy.

Let me know if I can help.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    Thank you everyone for your interest! I am rolling with a 'grass-roots' level swim; one where I can simply test these waters and surrounding environment to see if this could make for a future marathon swiming event. It has been my dream to bring the swimming world to the beautiful scenery that Pennsylvania offers!
    @jendut - I will shoot you and email! Thank you...

www.darren-miller.com

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @ForeverSwim, I may be able to crew on the 29th, but definitely not on the 22nd. I'd have to ask CinC House. That lake is only 175 or so miles from me, so that's practically in my backyard.

I'd certainly be interested if it becomes an event in the future.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    @ForeverSwim, I got clearance from CinC House for the 29th, if you choose to do it on that day, I'd love to crew and even, if needed and you slow down enough (!), pace swim with you.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    Oh cool. I live near Raystown Lake. Would love to help you out, but only avail on the June 22 date.
  • Leonard_JansenLeonard_Jansen Charter Member
    Darren -

Did you ever do this or were you dragged screaming from the water and beaten about the kidneys by the park rangers?

I wanted to crew this because a friend told me that there is a place in the lake where people feed carp and there are hundreds of them and they are huge and make the water boil lunging for the food. I was hoping to steer you to that place and then throw in some bread - just to see if you would break 30 seconds for 100m with the right stimulus.

No need to thank me.

-LBJ

“Moderation is a fatal thing. Nothing succeeds like excess.” - Oscar Wilde

• ForeverSwimForeverSwim Pittsburgh, PennsylvaniaCharter Member
    LBJ-
    Still working on it. Work engagement got in the way before the first attempt, and now I am running out of dates due to weddings/life before I leave for Ireland. There is a one more long one I am planning in the three rivers around PGH for the first week of August - I will keep you posted my friend. Take care and enjoy the 4th!~

www.darren-miller.com

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    He totally ignored your giant carp idea. We have them up in Kinzua Reservoir in NW PA. They freak me out/ but would be a great training aid for D.