Finding an EMT/first responder for an August Lake Michigan swim?

JonMLJonML Member
edited February 2013 in Locations & Networking
Hi all,

I'm assembling a crew for an August swim from South Manitou Island to Leland in Lake Michigan (16 miles, 10 hours or so). It would probably be a good idea if there were someone with medical (or at least first aid) training on board to help determine if I need to be yanked out and to assist in case of a problem. EMT or even first responder level training should be fine; we'll never be more than about five miles from the nearest shore. The best person would be a swimmer herself, with a strong bent toward allowing the swim to continue in all but the most dire circumstances. She'd need to be available for a four day window August 15-18; we're planning the window rather than a date to account for weather. On the plus side, we have a very nice house rented for the crew to stay in and it's a beautiful part of the state. The rest of the group is a fun bunch and the boat is beautiful. On the minus, I'm doing this on a shoestring budget and can't pay a whole lot. I'm probably looking for someone who would mostly chalk this one up to an adventure.

Any thoughts on finding such a person?

Thanks,

Jon

Comments

• IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited February 2013
    If a local fire station can't help you, you could always try:

--An Explorer post that is attached to a Paramedic or Hospital or Fire station. I think Explorers are called Venturers now. Some of those kids/young adults are EMT-B or higher.
    --Is there a military post/base near you? Many of those guys need "local volunteerism" for their annual performance reviews. You might find a medically qualified soldier, sailor, airman or Marine who'll volunteer. Same with National Guard.

I'll try to think of some more ideas...

Good luck!

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams