Driven: the Marathon Swimming Documentary

Comments

• Also, all computers should play the DVD just fine.

If anyone does have any problem, just let us know and we'll figure out a solution.
  • HelbeHelbe Senior Member
    I'll be placing my order directly. Thanks :-)
    Update information- I have been told that DVD players will lock into a specific region based on the first DVD played. This means I would not be able to play the DVD on my player. Apparently the same apples to computers. So, I guess I'll just have to wait for the download as @Niek suggests.
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    edited November 2013
    Just watched the film. Loved. It! Will watch again. Trying to organize a watch party for the triathlon club I coach. Maybe even for my masters team.

Most interesting part was hearing for the first time guys who I've known (virtually) for years. Kinda the opposite of the first time you see that DJ or singer (Romeo Void, anyone?) you've been listening to for years and then realizing his/her face doesn't match his/her voice. ;)

Well, @AquaRob and @Evmo, your voices were completely different than I expected! Same with @Munatones and @Ned Denison. Double whammy with @ScottZornig as I've never seen what he looks like or heard him, but was imagining a very different look!

Great film. Had my 14-year old swimming daughter watch it too. No word on her desire to swim anything farther than what her coach makes her swim in practice, though. :(

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• JBirrrdJBirrrd MarylandSenior Member
    They're much more handsome than you imagined, right Mike?
  • NedNed Charter Member
    Driven is a stange one for me.

In 2006 I swam from Santa Cruz....helped by a young kayaker named Ben.

A few days afterwards he said two things that I'll remember forever:

1. After I walked out under my own power...but unable to remember my name...the ambulance took me away. The second ambulance offered Ben, his kayak and my "unexpected support swimmer at the end" David Yudovin a lift to the end of the pier to united with the boat.

I do however remember Yudovin yelling at me - and threating to beat the daylights out of me if I didn't swim faster.

Ben said: The older ambulance guys said "Fucking deja vu, I was life guarding out her 30 years ago when a guy died doing that swim." Yudovin lowered his head and raised his hand...and they met 'properly for the first time. (see the forward of Swimming to Antarctica).

2. I thanked Ben as we parted..and he said; "You are thanking me? I told everybody I know that I kayaked in from Santa Cruz and had a ringside seat at a world class athletic event."

Years later....Ben and his friend started the Driven project.

Funny how things come around
    DanSimonelli
  • gregocgregoc Charter Member
    Just watched the documentary. Congratulations to everyone involved. Even @AquaRob the bearded mystery man and unsung hero that seemed to be in every other frame. The movie was so inspirational and motivational that by the end I was thinking "this is so cool. I want to try this and become a marathon swimmer". Time to organize a Mass viewing party.
  • dc_in_sfdc_in_sf San FranciscoCharter Member
    Finally got around to watching my copy last night. Very enjoyable and well made film.

@e8productions it seems like Driven would be a natural for the SF Ocean Film Festival which is accepting entries for 2014 right now.

http://notdrowningswimming.com - open water adventures of a very ordinary swimmer

• NatalieswimsNatalieswims Orange County, CAMember
    I wanted to let everyone know that Cherie is the nicest gal to swim with, and on every swim that I have been on with her, there has been an abundance of positive sea life. I wanted to give her a shout out on here and the recent pier "Elwood" we swam, she totally remained cool, calm and collective even though the pier was dreadful looking. We did swim underneath it and yes the sea life was amazing. I am Driven for sure!
  • jendutjendut Charter Member
    @gregoc do you have a copy? Is it available for borrow/rent?
  • molly1205molly1205 Lincoln, NebraskaSenior Member
    I see that DVDs are no longer available so the film remains eligible for festivals. Serious bummer.

Molly Nance, Lincoln, Nebraska

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    This was their explanation on FB:

Ok, big news, and not everyone is going to like it...

At this stage, the most important thing that we can do to promote our film to a broader audience is to submit to film festivals. Many film festivals do not consider films that have DVDs available for sale. In order for our film to remain eligible for film festival consideration, we have had to temporarily deactivate the dvd ordering page on our website until we can determine how this film will ultimately be distributed.

Please note that all Indiegogo fundraising rewards will still be honored. If you have not received your dvd in the mail already, you should expect it within the week. Digital downloads for Indiegogo contributors will also still be provided and are forthcoming.

We expect that this may catch some people off guard (it caught us off guard as well). We apologize for the inconvenience and will try our best to keep everyone informed as we move forward.
  • I'm sure people will fall on both sides of the fence on this, but I think they are absolutely making the right decision. I'd gladly wait several months to purchase (or even see for the first time) to give these guys an opportunity to reach a bigger audience and see their baby get some recognition.

If anyone is really broken up about waiting, I'm happy to mail mine around the country just PM me.
    Bridget
  • I think it's a good plan as well and not because I got my copy either. :D
  • I received my DVD on Thursday and had a chance to watch it over the weekend. I want to add my compliments to everyone involved in the production. I thought it was a great film that really captures the essence of what the sport is about for many of us.
    I also agree with the decision to defer future sales so that the film has a better chance at success in the broader market.
    I would be happy to share my copy with anyone in the greater NYC area if they are desperate to see it.
  • heartheart San Francisco, CACharter Member
    I absolutely *loved* the film. It touched my heart in places that very few people understand. Hearing the other swimmers talk about their attitude to the water and how it heals places in their lives spoke volumes to me. Thank you for making me feel like I was watching a film about my family.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    DRIVEN has been accepted into the 2014 Santa Barbara International Film Festival! Congratulations to Ben and Brian!

http://sbiff.org/2014-lineup-announced/
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Some DRIVEN updates:

- The SBIFF schedule has been announced. DRIVEN will show Tuesday Feb 4 at 10am, and Friday Feb 7 at 7pm, both at the SB Museum of Art.

http://sbiff.festivalgenius.com/2014/films/driven_benpitterle_sbiff2014

- DRIVEN has also been accepted into the San Luis Obispo Film Festival, March 5-9. Schedule TBA.

- The filmmakers just launched a re-designed website:
    https://driven.vhx.tv/ or http://www.marathonswimmovie.com
  • ScottZornigScottZornig Charter Member
    Steve Munatones is looking for reviews of DRIVEN from people (both swimmers
    and non-swimmers) who have seen it. If you wish to provide a review to appear in the Daily News of Open Water Swimming and the monthly Open Water Swimming Magazine, please send to headcoach@openwatersource.com.

In particular, he would love to hear from a non-swimming friend who was moved by the film or who became interested in swimming (pool or open water or channel swimming) because of the film.

As Evan mentioned in the previous post, the film is showing at the Santa Barbara film festival. He did not mention that the film is up for the Audience Choice Award which is a big honor just to be considered. WIth any luck, this film will have some legs and we can show the world how true marathon swimming is done.

Thank you.

Scott Zornig
    SBCSA
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited January 2014
    I also forgot to mention the exciting new trailer:

And a review from the DNOWS:

http://dailynews.openwaterswimming.com/2014/01/high-fives-all-around-for-driven.html?m=1
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    In light of the Steve Redmond movie's upcoming appearance at the SF Ocean Film Festival, a few people have asked me if DRIVEN will be showing there too.

Unfortunately they missed the deadline for SF... bummer. However I'm hearing good things out of Santa Barbara. The first SBIFF screening was yesterday. Then again this coming Friday at 7pm.
  • So, I've been trying purchase a DVD for months but am still not quite sure how. I know we had to wait because of the film festival thing and I see the link @evmo submitted above reroutes to https://driven.vhx.tv/, which has a 'Buy Now' button but no action performs when I click on that bad boy.

An amazon search did not prove fruitful either. When I'm in a position to buy this (in the next several weeks) how would I do that?

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    Interesting podcast with Ben Pitterle, writer, co-director, co-producer of DRIVEN:

http://www.independent.com/podcasts/santa-barbara-independent-podcast/2014/feb/06/sbiff-2014-ben-pitterle-and-june-squibb/

@Laflamme02 - as far as I know the DVDs are still embargoed until the end of the festival season.
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    DVDs and downloads now available for sale (again):

http://driven.vhx.tv/
    My review of Driven is out now in the Apr/May issue of H2Open.

marathon-swim-movie-review.jpg

• sharkbaitzasharkbaitza LondonMember
    Will this be released in itunes at any stage?
  • jcmalickjcmalick Wilmington, DEMember
    Just watched this film with @swimchica623 yesterday! Great job Cherie, Fiona, and @evmo! Definitely inspires the marathon and non marathon swimmers of the world to never stop dreaming or believing!
  • sharkbaitzasharkbaitza LondonMember
    found it! Busy downloading!
  • KarenTKarenT Charter Member
    I wrote a little review of Driven...(but please note the spoiler alert at the beginning - paragraph 3 gives away the outcome of one of the swims so if you don't want to know, keep your hands over your eyes when you get to that bit).
    http://thelongswim.blogspot.co.uk/2014/03/driven.html
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member
    So, a couple of weeks ago, I finally got around to buying and watching Driven. I intended to watch it alone, but my two year-old (27 months) daughter (yea, yea, yea, I know I am way too old to have a two year-old) walked into the room and became mesmerized by it – even the talking parts, even the Evan talking parts (smile). Now whenever she sees me soaking the in the tub, she has to join me. The tub water has been hovering around 57-58. (I know that there is another chain here where it was expressed that sitting in cold water doesn’t do any good for getting used to swimming in cold(ish) water, but it is all I have and I think I might be proof that it can work.)

Today we’re at the Chesapeake, not a hot day. The air was 68 this morning and the water in the mid-60’s. Her mother couldn’t keep her out of the water. She was jumping in and out of the water as if it were 85. So, if twenty years from now you hear of an open water swimmer with my last name, please know that it wasn’t my swimming that inspired her – it was Driven.
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    I think AM is safe at the top of the analytics chart! ;-)
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    So I rented this online over the weekend. Great movie. I have a question. There was a quote from a book near the end of the movie ("Swim" was in the title of the book). I tried to rewind to hear it again, but my player reset to the beginning and wouldn't let me advance. Does anyone know that quote and/or the source?
    evmo

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited February 2015
    There was a quote from a book near the end of the movie ("Swim" was in the title of the book). I tried to rewind to hear it again, but my player reset to the beginning and wouldn't let me advance. Does anyone know that quote and/or the source?

From Lynn Sherr's Swim: Why We Love the Water:

At one level, it’s purely sensual: the silky feeling of liquid on skin; the chance to float free, as close to flying as I’ll ever get; the opportunity to reach, if not for the stars, at least for the starfish. Swimming stretches my body beyond its earthly limits, helping to soothe every ache and caress every muscle. But it’s also an inward journey, a time of quiet contemplation, when, encased in an element at once hostile and familiar, I find myself at peace, able—and eager—to flex my mind, imagine new possibilities, to work things out without the startling interruptions of human voice or modern life. The silence is stunning.
  • SpacemanspiffSpacemanspiff Dallas, TexasSenior Member
    That's the one. Thanks @evmo ! Nice swim btw.

"Lights go out and I can't be saved
    Tides that I tried to swim against
    Have brought be down upon my knees
    Oh I beg, I beg and plead..."

• phodgeszohophodgeszoho UKSenior Member
    Does anyone know where I can order the DVD from in the UK. Cannot seem to find it anywhere?
  • evmo wrote: »
    DVDs and downloads now available for sale (again):

http://driven.vhx.tv/
    You can get it online. It's awesome, really hits home.

phodgeszoho
    Thanks. Does the DVD purchased from this site work in Region 2 players?
    Cool. DVD ordered. :-)
    evmo
    Just ordered mine too. Thanks for reminders.
    evmo
    DVD turned up very quickly and can confirm there are no problems with watching it on Region 2 player.

Have watched it three times. Fascinating to experience some swims through other swimmers experiences.

:-)
    evmoHelbe
  • DanSimonelliDanSimonelli San Diego CASenior Member
    edited March 2015
    Watched it for the 5th time today.
    Continues to motivate and inspire me.
    Have a long training swim this Sunday, so good timing.

Some friends in La Jolla Cove Swim Club had a noon matinee showing after morning swim, with only a couple of which being marathon swimmers, and as we occasionally paused video to discuss or explain something as well as in discussion afterward, everyone was riveted, intrigued and inspired by the whole movie and particularly the life and times of Evan, Cherie and Fiona!

And again, for me, it has focused my intention and mental preparation for my training and marathon swims this year. Thanks... :D
    =D>
    evmoAnthonyMcCarleyHelbe
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member
    edited March 2015

Wonderful film! I'm in awe of what these swimmers accomplished. I'm pretty much getting started with distance and am nowhere near their caliber--these are true athletes!

evmo
  • swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

Yes, a few years late to the show, but I just watched Driven, streaming, and it was really fantastic.
    Thankfully, I didn't read this thread (spoilers) before watching the film. It's the first time I've been grateful for those targeted advertisements on Facebook.

TheoDanSimonellievmokipariz
  • FlowSwimmersFlowSwimmers Polson, MontanaMember

Driven will be featured at the Flathead Lake International Cinefest (www.flicpolson.com) on Saturday night, January 23rd, 2016. Hope to get Ben and Brian to show up to talk about their great film and the athletes' accomplishments!

AnthonyMcCarleyDanSimonellievmoIronMikeTheo
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

FlowSwimmers said:
    Driven will be featured at the Flathead Lake International Cinefest (www.flicpolson.com) on Saturday night, January 23rd, 2016. Hope to get Ben and Brian to show up to talk about their great film and the athletes' accomplishments!

That's awesome, @FlowSwimmers ! How did this come about?

DanSimonelli
  • RoelRoel Boxtel, the NetherlandsMember

Thanks for reviving this old thread. I immediately bought the film and watched it. Highly inspiring! This one is going on my watch-and-rewatch-again-and-again-list :D

AnthonyMcCarleyevmoDanSimonelliFlowSwimmers

I volunteer on the Flathead Lake International Cinemafest board and thought it would be cool to find an open water related film to enter. I contacted Ben Pitterle, the film's producer, and he submitted it.

Flow Swimmers (my open water swimming club) and the Flathead Lakers (a local non-profit, clean water advocate group) is sponsoring the film.

The judging committee really liked the film and gave it a prime spot in the line-up, 7pm on Saturday. They also invited Ben to Montana to lead a Q &A after the screening. He agreed and is coming to town!

Subsequently, Evan, I put 2 and 2 together, and realized you are one of the featured swimmers: How cool!

On a related note, Flathead Lake is the largest fresh water lake west of the Mississippi. It's situated at the base of Glacier National Park, and it's absolutely wonderful for open water swimming. Please come for a swim! We'll take you out on our pontoon boat and explore some truly fantastic spots: no sharks, no jellyfish...just clean, clear, and COLD water!

ssthomasTheoDanSimonelliSpacemanspiffIronMikeevmolakespray

@FlowSwimmers, that's great news.

Might I suggest you starting a new thread dedicated to Flathead? Information on the lake, marathon possibilities, websites of your club and the clean water group, that sort of thing. You will probably get many interested swimmers reading it and possibly even visiting you guys.

FlowSwimmersDanSimonelli

Had a great time yesterday with Ben Pitterle and his wife Bryn at the screening of Driven at the Flathead Lake International Cinemafest. The film was well-received, and I am hoping that it wins an award. If you have not seen the documentary, it's available to download, so check it out!

DanSimonelliTheoSpacemanspiff
  • evmoevmo SydneyAdmin
    edited September 2017

The Driven guys (Ben and Brian) let me share 20 minutes of raw/unedited footage to celebrate the 5th anniversary of my Santa Cruz Island swim.

In many ways I think this cut offers a more balanced view of what a channel swim looks and sounds like. Without the Trent Reznor score, there's just the sloshing of the ocean, the purring of the boat engine, and various crew comments left on the cutting-room floor ("This wind is really pissing me off"). These swims are endurance events for everyone involved.

vimeo.com/61491244

The film can still be purchased at http://driven.vhx.tv

IronMikethelittlemerwookiepavlicovssthomasmalinakaFlowSwimmersrlmKatieBunPasquale