Sea of Cortez

Hypothetically, if someone was going to get a relay put together for the Sea of Cortez would people be interested?

Tagged:

Comments

• sarahcassidysarahcassidy Las Vegas, NVMember

I'd be interested but would need more details. I live in Las Vegas so travel would be easy.

• AzskiAzski ArizonaMember

I've always been interested in a big swim down in Mexico. I live in Prescott Arizona. I'd be interested in swimming but also in planning, logistics and crew support. I have resources l.e. boats , a truck and trailer ect.....interest peaked!

SaraC....I just looked at ur profile. A very strong resume (and goals) but, I've got to hear more about your CraterLake xing. Hw cold was it? How'd you get permission? Don't incriminate yourself.....PM me if u want.
    That's been a dream of mine for a long time.
    Swimswam77, where are you, geographically and swimming history?
    You'll find me on the MSF long swim data base= Dave Loeffler
    Baja would be fun!!> @Azski said:

I've always been interested in a big swim down in Mexico. I live in Prescott Arizona. I'd be interested in swimming but also in planning, logistics and crew support. I have resources l.e. boats , a truck and trailer ect.....interest peaked!

• swimswam77swimswam77 USANew Member

I am based in AZ as well. Happy to message back and forth out of this thread if you all would like.

@swimswam77 said:
    I am based in AZ as well. Happy to message back and forth out of this thread if you all would like.

That's great. Do you have a route in mind?
    This thread works for me

• LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

Great idea @swimswam77 . I've been wanting to swim down there for awhile! There was a relay attempt to cross the sea in 2014, that had to be ended early due to an abundance of jellyfish stings (the painful kind). Not sure what that would be like, but I'd possibly be interested anyhow.

Alternatively, I've been wanting to set up a new shoreline route, with the idea of going down with a group of people eager to support one another in completing the route and documenting it for MSF. For example, swim one day, kayak for other people on other days.

The jellies are reportedly not as big a problem on the shore as they are in the middle, plus the swims could be entirely supported by kayak for an along the shore route.

Anyhow, just some thoughts I've been having :) Would be fun to travel to swim there with a group of like minded people regardless of the goal!

oh yes.. and another attempt at a relay crossing in 2010, great description of the level of pain involved with the jellies here: https://swim4good.com/2014/05/27/paul-lundgrens-first-experience-with-the-sea-of-cortez/

@Azski said:
    SaraC....I just looked at ur profile. A very strong resume (and goals) but, I've got to hear more about your CraterLake xing. Hw cold was it? How'd you get permission? Don't incriminate yourself.....PM me if u want.
    That's been a dream of mine for a long time.
    Swimswam77, where are you, geographically and swimming history?
    You'll find me on the MSF long swim data base= Dave Loeffler
    Baja would be fun!!> @Azski said:

Thanks for the reminder to update my profile to add my 2023 swims and upcoming swims! I need to set up my LongSwim DB.

I didn't swim across Crater Lake; it was Carter Lake in Colorado, part of the Mountain Swim Series. Only about 3 miles. But I looked up Crater Lake - I assume you mean the one at the national park in Oregon? That would be awesome! Will you go for it soon?

edited December 2023

@swimswam77 said:

Where in AZ? I can easily come down to AZ if we wanted to do training swims together every now and then. Willow Beach, AZ (just past the NV-AZ border) is one of my two regular OWS places. The other is Lake Mead.

@LakeBagger said:
    Great idea @swimswam77 . I've been wanting to swim down there for awhile! There was a relay attempt to cross the sea in 2014, that had to be ended early due to an abundance of jellyfish stings (the painful kind). Not sure what that would be like, but I'd possibly be interested anyhow.

Alternatively, I've been wanting to set up a new shoreline route, with the idea of going down with a group of people eager to support one another in completing the route and documenting it for MSF. For example, swim one day, kayak for other people on other days.

The jellies are reportedly not as big a problem on the shore as they are in the middle, plus the swims could be entirely supported by kayak for an along the shore route.

Anyhow, just some thoughts I've been having :) Would be fun to travel to swim there with a group of like minded people regardless of the goal!

I have 3 kayaks and can kayak if needed. When you say shoreline route, do you mean swim down the length of the Sea of Cortez instead of across the width? Which shoreline? West or East? I'm intrigued by this as well!

LakeBagger

@sarahcassidy yeah, I was thinking pick a town (like Loreto), or really anywhere, and make that home base.

Then make a route from one point to the next on the shore, or around one of those islands and back— maybe 10-12 miles or so, and people could do the route however many times they want.

Two for a longer swim, or more for an even longer swim ;). Switch out kayakers every 10-12 miles so no one has to kayak for too long at a time.

Each person could get a day to swim, and pitch in kayaking for other people’s swims on the other days.

@Azski had some interesting and intriguing ideas as well— like doing a relay that goes a long distance along the shore, or a kayak supported, multi day swim-camp adventure trip. Depends on what people might be up for!