Trent Grimsey sets new English Channel Solo record

loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
edited September 2012 in General Discussion
Six hours and fifty five minutes exactly, two minutes ahead of the 2007 Petar Stoychev record. Landed just NE of the end of the Cap, watched by cheering fishermen, Sea Satin & crew and a lot of people up on the Cap viewing point. I doubt any except Gallivant & Sea Satin's contingent understood what they were really seeing.

I was amazingly lucky enough to be on the boat for a close up view. If Channel swimming was tennis, I would have been an ordinary person given a seat by the Umpire beside Centre Court while Andy Murray & Roger Federrer went at it. In this case it was Trent vs Petar Stoychev, and it was very much a race even though there was only one person actually there.

loneswimmer.com

Tagged:

Comments

• ChickenOSeaChickenOSea Charter Member
    Thanks for the Twitter updates. I was following this morning and it was very exciting!! Congratulations Trent!!
    The satellite map cracked me up. I'm no expert but don't those things usually show an S bend? :) jeez that's fast
  • IronMikeIronMike Northern VirginiaCharter Member
    OMG and holy crap. My dream is to do it in less than 3 times that time! Congrats.

We're all just carbon, water, starlight, oxygen and dreams

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    @ChickenOSea only a handful of Channel maps look similar. Trent had to hold a minimun of 4.9k per hour to equal Petar Stoychev.

loneswimmer.com

• loneswimmerloneswimmer IrelandCharter Member
    Niek, you mean you;re not following my blog articles on it? :-) With lots of photos and videos! I'm editing together almost all the videos I took shortly.

loneswimmer.com