Risk Tolerant Channel Pilots

I weathered out in the channel back in 2017 and I'm looking to take another crack at it in either 2023 or 2024. Can anyone recommend who the more risk-tolerant pilots are with respect to weather?

Back in 2017, I watched other boats depart (and finish) while I sat ashore as my pilot deemed it too windy to go.

Comments

• ssthomasssthomas DenverCharter Mem​ber

Sea Satin and Gallivant just went out yesterday in pretty dismal conditions. Try them. HA.

evmoLakeBagger
  • abbygirlroseabbygirlrose Los Angeles and Palo Alto, CASenior Member

I went out in 2017 on Gallivant on what was a less than perfect (but still certainly swimmable day). I got the impression that the captain was gauging my swimming ability (from talking to my coach) and had decided I could go on that day, while other swimmers on the tide should not. This was just my experience though...

LakeBagger
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

Reg Brickell was awesome for me.

• LakeBaggerLakeBagger Central OregonSenior Member

I had the same impression as @abbygirlrose did-- only I went with Sea Leopard (and had one of the best experiences of my life btw.)

Lots of questions about my experience level, specifically with wind in the ocean. Clearly, he was trying to gauge my experience level and only take me out on a day when I had a good chance of success. I appreciated he was dedicated to helping me get across, not just starting the swim.

If you have a lot of experience swimming in the ocean and the wind, maybe figure out how you can best articulate this to the pilot and ask some of them what conditions they are/aren't willing to go out in with a swimmer of your experience level (before you book).