Oceans 7 - In What Order?

musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember

I am just curious about anyone who has done the O7 or knows people that have or anyone who has done multiple channel swims... How do you choose your swims? If you have done or were planning on completing the O7 how would you choose in what order to do them?

Comments

• curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I have never done the O7, nor will I ever. But since no one is helping you with a comment, I will add my two cents.

There are those who would say you should start with what is considered the easiest and conquer that, then move up to the next easiest and slowly learn and conquer your way up to the hardest swim. I think there are a lot of valid reasons for this approach.

However, I also have an alternative approach. Start with the hardest and get that done. Once you have accomplished that, then you know you can do anything. This concept is inspired by a book that I read called, "Living with a Seal". It is the story of a guy that hired a Navy Seal to train him. It's a really funny and interesting book of their time together.

One of the approaches the Seal used in training was to just get on with it. The first runs and exercises were just brutal and the author was barely able to accomplish the full distances or workouts. But over time he exceeded his expectations. He also noted that the Seal would go out and run these ridiculous distances at all odd hours day and night.

He mentioned to the Seal that he must love running because he did it so much. The Seal said that he absolutely hated running and so that's why he did it. To get the hardest part out of the way.

AnthonyMcCarleyevmomusclewhale89Cazzwim
  • AnthonyMcCarleyAnthonyMcCarley Berwyn, PACharter Member

I haven't done the O7 either (done four and that is all I am going to do). But here's my ranking anyway, hardest to easiest:

North Channel
    Molokai
    EC
    Cook
    Tsugaru
    Catalina
    Gibraltar.

Debatable, I know. And depends on the day.

My answer to your question about order depends a lot on the swimmer's marathon swim experience. If the swimmer has no marathon swim experience, they might be better served if they didn't do any of these swims first. Start with more controlled environments - safer, cheaper - and easier to learn lessons. Boston light. Tampa Bay marathon. Around Coronado. Anacapa (less controlled, but short).

Another consideration is availability. Most of these swims have multi-year waitlists.

evmoJSwimmusclewhale89
  • musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember

@curly said:
    I have never done the O7, nor will I ever. But since no one is helping you with a comment, I will add my two cents.

There are those who would say you should start with what is considered the easiest and conquer that, then move up to the next easiest and slowly learn and conquer your way up to the hardest swim. I think there are a lot of valid reasons for this approach.

However, I also have an alternative approach. Start with the hardest and get that done. Once you have accomplished that, then you know you can do anything. This concept is inspired by a book that I read called, "Living with a Seal". It is the story of a guy that hired a Navy Seal to train him. It's a really funny and interesting book of their time together.

One of the approaches the Seal used in training was to just get on with it. The first runs and exercises were just brutal and the author was barely able to accomplish the full distances or workouts. But over time he exceeded his expectations. He also noted that the Seal would go out and run these ridiculous distances at all odd hours day and night.

He mentioned to the Seal that he must love running because he did it so much. The Seal said that he absolutely hated running and so that's why he did it. To get the hardest part out of the way.

That book is fantastic! It is by Jesse Itzler and the Navy Seal in the book is David Goggins. I highly recommend that book to anyone who has interest in doing hard things. Goggins also has his own book out now about his life, called "Cant Hurt Me" If you have social media, Goggins is a great follow.