Taiwan Strait

octurnerocturner Cedar Lake, Denville, NJ, USANew Member

Greetings All,

Anyone know of any successful attempts on the Taiwan Strait? Or has anyone even thought about it, started preparing for it?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Taiwan_Strait

Best,
Oliver

miklcctOpenh2o

Comments

• musclewhale89musclewhale89 Alberta, CanadaMember

At 130 km at the narrowest point that would be one hell of an accomplishment!! Looks like a beautiful location as well!

Openh2o
  • octurnerocturner Cedar Lake, Denville, NJ, USANew Member

Agreed. I grew up in Hong Kong in the 70’s and 80’s, now curious to go back to this area and see whether this is doable.

Openh2o
  • miklcctmiklcct London, United KingdomMem​ber

@octurner said:
    Agreed. I grew up in Hong Kong in the 70’s and 80’s, now curious to go back to this area and see whether this is doable.

I'm rather thinking if Bering Strait is swimmable or not due to its geographic significance. It isn't as wide as Taiwan Strait but it's much colder.

Meanwhile, I hope that eventually a Taiwanese swimmer can conquer Taiwan Strait, but the OW community in Taiwan is little developed due to the historical Cold War reason that people grown up taught to stay away from the shore.

• ruthruth New Jersey, USAMember

@miklcct said:

@octurner said:

I'm rather thinking if Bering Strait is swimmable or not due to its geographic significance. It isn't as wide as Taiwan Strait but it's much colder.

Meanwhile, I hope that eventually a Taiwanese swimmer can conquer Taiwan Strait, but the OW community in Taiwan is little developed due to the historical Cold War reason that people grown up taught to stay away from the shore.

The Bering Strait has been swum.

https://www.nps.gov/people/lynne-cox.htm

abbygirlrose

@ruth said:

@miklcct said:

@octurner said:

The Bering Strait has been swum.

https://www.nps.gov/people/lynne-cox.htm

That swim was between the Diomede Islands only - I'm interested in the whole length between the continents.

It seems to have been swum by a relay in 2013, but I doubt if it is humanly possible to be swum as a solo.

• thscheethschee Taipei, TaiwanNew Member
    edited October 2021

Fellow TW swimmer here. There was a relay by 14 swimmers back in 2014 and it took 97 hours to across. Probably not possible by a solo swimmer due to marine and political reasons now. From the Pescadores (a.k.a Penghu) to Taiwan mainland would be more achievable (64-70km strait line), but I belive none has done it before.

evmomiklcctMLamby

@thschee said:
    Fellow TW swimmer here. There was a relay by 14 swimmers back in 2014 and it took 97 hours to across. Probably not possible by a solo swimmer due to marine and political reasons now. From the Pescadores (a.k.a Penghu) to Taiwan mainland would be more achievable (64-70km strait line), but I belive none has done it before.

I wish a Taiwanese can pioneer this swim.

• octurnerocturner Cedar Lake, Denville, NJ, USANew Member

That would be great to see. Or, a Chinese swimmer, with a peace flag.

miklcctOpenh2o
  • Openh2oOpenh2o Member
    edited October 2021

Will be great someone do it!
    Human! Nevermine. can be UNESCO Flag!
    But to be Normal Human !
    I hope but for me is not realisting! Life and world change! Extreme change!
    My opinion)