Seeking marathon swim recommendations in US

dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Preferably eastern US but west not out of the question.

I had planned on an EC relay but the required 10 day quarantine wouldn't have worked given other obligations, much as I loved the idea--discovered I LIKE chilly water!

But instead of moping and regretting, I'd like to undertake a cool Plan B swim. And I'd be grateful for recommendations.

I'm already signed up for the Great South Bay Swim and Swim the Suck. I plan to enter the Bender Memorial Marathon Swim when entries open.

Thinking just one more 10k-10 mile.... and the Kingdom Swim 10 miler comes to mind. I was very impressed w Shannon Keegan's interview w Phil White and have heard excellent reports about him as a race director.

The swim takes place a couple wks after Great South Bay (5ish miles). That can be good...or a problem....depending how GSB goes.

Would be good prep for the Bender swim (8 miles) which would be good prep for STS.

That's my thought.... others?.

wendyv34

Comments

• If you think it will be fun, go for it! I'm sure Phil would be fine with it if you decided to trade down to 10k (or shorter) from the 10 miles if you are still tired from GSB and in any event you can enjoy a nice weekend in the Northeast Kingdom with swimmy people.

dpm50wendyv34gregoc
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

@swimfreeordie said:
    If you think it will be fun, go for it! I'm sure Phil would be fine with it if you decided to trade down to 10k (or shorter) from the 10 miles if you are still tired from GSB and in any event you can enjoy a nice weekend in the Northeast Kingdom with swimmy people.

Hmm... maybe go for the 10k as an intermediate step fr 5 to 8 to 10. That's something to consider. I like the idea of 10 miles as a way to challenge myself, as I've done more than 10k but might also be good to do quality shorter distance. Then enjoy the local brews sooner! :smile:

• kejoycekejoyce New EnglandSenior Member

i can't recommend the kingdom swim enough... it's an amazing location and a fantastically-run event. plus as others have noted, some flexibility in distance!

wendyv34ssthomasgregocdpm50

Ok then! Signed up for the 10k during Kingdom Swim weekend. Went back and forth between that and the 10 miler, but as it's 2 weeks out fr the Great South Bay Swim, I've decided to opt for the shorter swim now as a stepping stone to the 8-mile Bender Swim which should set me up for Swim the Suck in Oct.

This from a person who once thought a mile was a long way to swim. :)

So next 2 questions:

1. Who here plans on any of the Kingdom swims?
    2. How close is the nearest airport/Amtrak/bus station/track w handcar access (well, no, forget that last item!). Have to plan my travel to Newport VT (not to mention Chattanooga!) $$$🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️$$$!!!

But yeah, sure!

wendyv34
  • swimmer25kswimmer25k Charter Member

@dpm50 said:
    Ok then! Signed up for the 10k during Kingdom Swim weekend. Went back and forth between that and the 10 miler, but as it's 2 weeks out fr the Great South Bay Swim, I've decided to opt for the shorter swim now as a stepping stone to the 8-mile Bender Swim which should set me up for Swim the Suck in Oct.

This from a person who once thought a mile was a long way to swim. :)

So next 2 questions:

1. Who here plans on any of the Kingdom swims?
    2. How close is the nearest airport/Amtrak/bus station/track w handcar access (well, no, forget that last item!). Have to plan my travel to Newport VT (not to mention Chattanooga!) $$$🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️🏊‍♀️$$$!!!

But yeah, sure!

I’ve been to Magog twice and flew to Burlington, VT. Newport was about a 90 minute drive from the airport.

• swimrn62swimrn62 Stowe, VTSenior Member

I'll be up there, paddling for the 10 miler, see you there. Phil's still looking for a few paddlers if anyone wants to spend a few days in VT giving back.

Diane, Newport is at least a 1.5 hour drive from BTV. There is a Newport airport but I don't believe they have any commercial flights, but if you have a friend with a plane........if not, renting a car is your best bet. It's a beautiful drive.

JSwimOpenh2o
  • Ha ha ha
    Friend with plane!
    Cool

Well--sudden wrinkle in my schedule--Great South Bay Swim has been postponed to Aug. 13 due to expected hurricane. Now I have swum in chop but probably a hurricane would be a bit much. But that means the 10k will come first before the 5 point somethingorother mile swim. On the upside, when I swim the bay, it'll seem like a sprint ha ha! I know, kidding aside--two different bodies of water, two different sets of demands, distances not that different.

Nature is copping an attitude lately.

@swimrn62 said:
    I'll be up there, paddling for the 10 miler, see you there. Phil's still looking for a few paddlers if anyone wants to spend a few days in VT giving back.

Diane, Newport is at least a 1.5 hour drive from BTV. There is a Newport airport but I don't believe they have any commercial flights, but if you have a friend with a plane........if not, renting a car is your best bet. It's a beautiful drive.

It'll be great to see you there, Lyn! And as it happens, I've worked out a ride with another 10k swimmer, so that's taken care of. Although see above for "best laid plans of mice and humans" dept. I'm so happy I'm doing this swim! Have wanted to see the famous Lake Memphgremagog when it's not frozen, as I signed up for the winter meet and need to see what the lake looks like without the ice. :smile: (I will admit to a crazy streak, but I figure if not now, when?) Also maybe I'll meet Memphre, although s/he may prefer the Border Busters and reward their ambition.

• That’s a fairly heavy season of marathon swims. Keep in mind - everyone pays the butcher’s bill, eventually.

dpm50
  • ismuqattashismuqattash Long Island, NYMember

Diane - Congrats on GSB yesterday. Tough chop the last 2.5 miles. Way to get it done!

swimfreeordiedpm50

@Tfloyd said:
    That’s a fairly heavy season of marathon swims. Keep in mind - everyone pays the butcher’s bill, eventually.

Well, point taken... kind of a personal challenge/learning experience. I usually don't undertake quite such an ambitious schedule, but it's a turning 70 midlife crisis thing. Yeah, not that I'm looking to live to be 140, just that it sometimes takes awhile to get around to these milestones.

Neversaynever!

@ismuqattash said:
    Diane - Congrats on GSB yesterday. Tough chop the last 2.5 miles. Way to get it done!

Thanks! And I can now say, having compared this and the Kingdom 10k (which I thoroughly enjoyed!): GSB was sooo much harder. Garmin actually showed ~6.1 miles (won't bore you w multiple decimal places), only bc I was being bounced from wave to wave like a pingpong ball. Part of me ached for a helicopter to come along, scoop me out of the water, and deposit me on shore--and part of me said, "self, you want people to think a 70 year old woman isn t good for this??" Latter won.

LakeBaggerbahsan22MLambyismuqattashOpenh2o
  • ismuqattashismuqattash Long Island, NYMember

@dpm50 said:

@ismuqattash said:

Thanks! And I can now say, having compared this and the Kingdom 10k (which I thoroughly enjoyed!): GSB was sooo much harder. Garmin actually showed ~6.1 miles (won't bore you w multiple decimal places), only bc I was being bounced from wave to wave like a pingpong ball. Part of me ached for a helicopter to come along, scoop me out of the water, and deposit me on shore--and part of me said, "self, you want people to think a 70 year old woman isn t good for this??" Latter won.

Simply AMAZING!

MLambydpm50