Amputee Swimming

sidneysidney United StatesNew Member

Hello Swimmers,

I am new to this forum but was referred to come here about questions about long-distance swimming.
I am a double amputee below the knee, and I was wondering about different rules or exceptions for Challenged Athletes? I do swim regularly. I have done a full Ironman, but I have never swam and a swim-only event.

Thank you
Sidney Smith

Alex_ArevaloSoloJSwimdpm50evmoLakeBaggerthelittlemerwookieMLambyIronMike

Comments

• evmoevmo SydneyAdmin

Hi Sidney, welcome to the Forum.

I don't have a specific answer to your question but I'd guess it varies by organizer and what specific sort of accommodation you are seeking. What did you do for the Ironman? (that is very impressive btw).

It was suggested by someone who read this thread (but is not a Forum member) that you might want to get in touch with Salvatore Cimmino, an amputee marathon swimmer from Italy. His websites are here:

I also have his email address if that would help - PM me if interested.

best wishes.

sidney
  • curlycurly Issaquah, WASenior Member

I'm just an outside observer and I sure don't make up the rules. But from where I stand, I believe accommodations are made for challenged individuals in many aspects of life. The fact that you have done a full Ironman means that you have figured your way through an incredible challenge. It's hard enough to do one with all your limbs intact so I can't imagine...

If I was an observer on your swim, I would be flexible on your entry and exit to the water because it might be tricky for you depending on the situation. Once you were in the water, I'd make sure you followed the MSF rules because in my mind, once you are swimming, you pretty much are able to do everything required. You just won't have as strong as a kick as someone with feet. But I'm assuming you have figured out a way to tread water and keep afloat for feeds and communication for example. It would be interesting to know more about your adaptations to be able to swim.

I read a little of Salvatore Cimmino's website and blog. Really impressive. And I also love the dark humor of amputees. I have a friend who lost both legs below the knees and most of her right hand. She just loves to say the darkest things. Like," Sure, but on the other hand..." So I liked this little excerpt from his blog. The next leg... jeez, c'mon man... I like what he says after the title too.

~~~~April/May 2016 - The next leg, from Hemingway Marina To Key West

Disability is not an anomaly, but only one of the many variants of the human being. The variety of human beings becomes a winning factor when the capabilities and potential of each one are used appropriately and effectively – also and especially to build a social life. ~~~~

MLambySoloIronMikesidney