2020 Charles Bender Memorial Marathon Swim

dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Good evening all,

Finally got this report written.

So grateful for this swim!

http://initforthelongrun.blogspot.com/2020/09/2020-charles-bender-memorial-marathon.html

SoloAnthonyMcCarleyMLamby

Comments

• SoloSolo B.C. CanadaSenior Member

@dpm50 said:
    Good evening all,

Finally got this report written.

So grateful for this swim!

http://initforthelongrun.blogspot.com/2020/09/2020-charles-bender-memorial-marathon.html

“I believed that I could” Wow, great stuff! All the training, the hard work, and commitment, and pain, and it was the mental strength that got you to the finish line. It is inspiring to me to read stories from the people who actually got big swims in this year, bravo, and thanks for sharing it.

dpm50Openh2omolly1205
  • dpm50dpm50 PA, U.S.Senior Member

Turned out that although I finished last, I got an award. 2nd female over 60. That meant a nice pint glass and bottle opener. (Now all I need is the Guiness LOL.)

But what it means to me that's even more encouraging is that of our small field (7-8 solo swimmers), included were TWO of us over 60! I hope this means more and more women in my demographic say those magic words "I believed that I could" and give marathon swimming a go! Or any open water swimming.

Pat Gallant-Charette is one of my swimming role models!

Openh2oKatieBunwendyv34Solomolly1205AnthonyMcCarleyIronMike
  • KatieBunKatieBun CornwallSenior Member

Congratulations! You did it. I'm 60 next year, was last to finish Zurich in 2016 and think Pat is the bee's knees. I hope to keep going into my 60s.

Openh2odpm50molly1205

Last = lasted.Turning 70 in a couple months. 70: it's the new 50. (Or 40. Or 30.) :)

SoloKatieBunmolly1205MLambyAnthonyMcCarley
  • MLambyMLamby Senior Member
    edited September 2020

Turned out that although I finished last, I got an award. 2nd female over 60. That meant a nice pint glass and bottle opener. (Now all I need is the Guiness LOL.)

When I got 2nd place in the Swim Around Key West, it was only because out of the seven (or whatever) swimmers there were in my age group, only two of us finished. I was almost more proud of outlasting the others than I was of my time... and that Conch Shell is the only trophy I have ever proudly displayed at work and in my home.

Be SO proud of your accomplishment. Awesome Job!!!!

SoloOpenh2oBogdanZdpm50flystormsAnthonyMcCarley

@MLamby said

When I got 2nd place in the Swim Around Key West, it was only because out of the seven (or whatever) swimmers there were in my age group, only two of us finished. I was almost more proud of outlasting the others than I was of my time... and that Conch Shell is the only trophy I have ever proudly displayed at work and in my home.

Be SO proud of your accomplishment. Awesome Job!!!!

Thank you! I was so happy just to finish! The award was icing on the cake--a cool memento of the day.

Your swim sounds like conditions were pretty rough! A well-earned conch shell for sure!

MLambyflystormsAnthonyMcCarley